Anyone from West Coast Scotland able to give advice?

robertt

Visit site
Hi, I am new to the forum, having just posted one question recently about which boat to buy for visiting the West Coast of Scotland and the Islands.
I was wondering if anyone has local knowledge and experience so that I could ask a few questions.
For example, how readily can you find fuel in this area?
I want to work out my cruising range and options once I manage to get a boat, and this will affect the type of boat I go for.

Thanks for any help

Robert

MrB

Visit site
Hi, I am new to the forum, having just posted one question recently about which boat to buy for visiting the West Coast of Scotland and the Islands.
I was wondering if anyone has local knowledge and experience so that I could ask a few questions.
For example, how readily can you find fuel in this area?
I want to work out my cruising range and options once I manage to get a boat, and this will affect the type of boat I go for.

Thanks for any help

Robert

Hi Robert, I'm new to it all myself so i kinda know the questions you have. With regards to fuel and services available, I found "REEDS directory of marinas, marine supplies & services (Marina Guide 2011) very useful and cheap. For you it covers marinas in SE,NE,NW and SW Scotland.
Look here http://www.amazon.co.uk/Reeds-Marina-Guide-2011-VARIOUS/dp/1408130610/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1317738943&sr=8-1

Another fun and handy tool to mess with is Netpas Distance. You choose departure marina, add way-points and arrival marina, set time and speed and it works it all out for you, hours en-route, arrival times etc. I found this useful to get a real idea of how long it takes to get somewhere at sea with different speeds, so you can use this to determine the type of boat you may need.
It's a free download and unless you buy a key, it is limited to 5 journeys a day, well worth a play.
http://http://download.cnet.com/Netpas-Distance/3000-2064_4-10345333.html

Hope this helps.

Carl.

robertt

Visit site
Hi Carl

Thanks very much for those links, both sound really helpful and will probably answer my questions fully.
Have you got yourself a boat and are you berthed at a coastal marina?

MrB

Visit site
Hi Carl

Thanks very much for those links, both sound really helpful and will probably answer my questions fully.
Have you got yourself a boat and are you berthed at a coastal marina?

No, i don't have a boat yet. I am like you, doing all the research without jumping in and buying something i cannot afford to run/keep or is just not suitable to my needs. I have other variables to consider also, like where i want to live as i would want to be quite close to the boat so i for see a house move before a boat purchase.

gery w

Visit site
hi Robert if you are intending cruising the Clyde area the only marinas that sell petrol are holy loch and largs and they charge like a wounded buffalo.When i was running petrol boats i filled up at petrol stations using cans when you are talking about 300-400 litres it works out a little cheaper. The downside to this was the hassle of lugging the stuff about also the type of boats that you are looking for will be heavier and tend to be a bit more thirsty regards Gerry.

AllanJ

Visit site
Be careful of almanacs! I was nearly stranded at Port Ellen on Islay last year because they do not do diesel for pleasure craft despite what the almanac said (even put a warning in the Clyde group).
I have never had a petrol-powered boat, but they are not popular with anyone that I speak to (all yachties and diesel owners tho :) ).

MrB

Visit site
Be careful of almanacs! I was nearly stranded at Port Ellen on Islay last year because they do not do diesel for pleasure craft despite what the almanac said (even put a warning in the Clyde group).
I have never had a petrol-powered boat, but they are not popular with anyone that I speak to (all yachties and diesel owners tho :) ).

REEDS directory of marinas show Port Ellen as having diesel but no mention of commercial or pleasure use. Mad? Also, of the 11 marinas it lists in the SW Scotland it shows 7 as having petrol !:confused:

Divemaster1

Visit site
Q1 - Trailerable or not ?

If not, and intend to cruise North of Clyde, and further to Oban and beyond, I would not consider anything but a boat with Diesel propulsion. Never had problem with availability of diesel West of Scotland, but then again we carry 1700 L on full tanks....

As weather can be mixed, I would have gone for one with hard top and closed in (no canvass if possible).... flybridge if bigger.

You don't mention budget or size (no of people who will be with you), so we are hitting a un-known target here....

Would appreciate more details on your thoughts, then I am sure there will be plenty of information made available...

robertt

Visit site
Thanks Alf.
I am looking at getting a cruiser with 4 berths but with a budget of £20-£25K. Most of the boats I see advertised in this price range are single petrol engined boats. Would that kind of boat be a daft choice for West Coast island hopping and cruising up the Sea Lochs? Are twin engines essential, and if so, is this for the extra power and manoevrability, or in case one develops a fault?
I have a wife and 3 kids, but mostly I imagine I would be going with my 2 young sons (eldest 11 yrs). I would partic like to be able to get to Islay, but also Mull/Staffa and Arran, possibly Colonsay.
Many thanks for any basic info, I have never bought a boat before and am a complete numpty/novice at this.
Robert

Divemaster1

Visit site
Thanks Alf.
I am looking at getting a cruiser with 4 berths but with a budget of £20-£25K. Most of the boats I see advertised in this price range are single petrol engined boats. Would that kind of boat be a daft choice for West Coast island hopping and cruising up the Sea Lochs? Are twin engines essential, and if so, is this for the extra power and manoevrability, or in case one develops a fault?

No daft questions at all !!!

Sounds like a good quality Nimbus 26 would be a nice alternative for you .... aft cabin for privacy, but good sea keeping for size. Scandinavian build quality and within price range. Shuld be OK for extended stays onboard, and with Semi-displacement speeds (11 - 15 knots) she will handle the tidal ranges you find on the West Coast.... without the price tag of a larger engine...

Can reccommend Isla, Jura, Mull, Iona, Columnsay, Staffa, Skye and all the area for scenery and friendly people.

Twin engines not required for coastal cruises, ... nore a nice to have ... better chance in this price range with a well maintained single engine.

Still would try to avoid single petrols as they tend to be direct cooling (seawater circulatin in the block, which blocks the cooling circuits). Better with diesels,which tend to have indirect cooling (salt water cooling the fresh water circulating in the engine), for reliability and of course fuel availability in the more remote areas.

Solitaire

Visit site
I had a 26 ft Bayliner based out of Kip Marina for 3 years. Single engine petrol. There are very few petrol fuelling points on the west coast and I used to fill cans up at the garage outside Kip Marina - pain in the butt frankly.

I used to cruise up the Kyles of Bute to Tarbet and over to Rothsey but that was really about the limit without taking petrol on cans aboard - not recommended frankly.

Don't get me wrong, even though limited by range it is a real nice cruising area but petrol was a real issue.

I sold the 26footer and bought a cuddy 21ft which Ii trailed. Went up to Oban and stayed at http://www.craobhmarina.co.uk/. Again lovely area but to get fuel was a round trip of nigh on 40 miles.

After a while you will get bored of the limited area offered by petrol power. Diesel was much more readily available as has been said. I really enjoyed the area but .................. Petrol! Not ideal for long distance and maximising the area.

gery w

Visit site
hi Robert i was in the same position as you and eventually settled on a Falcon 27 (twin diesel) which i managed to pick up and should be within your budget. Like you i wanted to cruise the islands and sea lochs whilst having relative comfort for my wife and two kids and having had loads of thirsty v8 power boats the Falcon is easy to live with. We are based at kip marina and have had many good weekends on board visiting some of the places you have mentioned.

neale

Visit site
Falcon is a nice boat. There is one Here that you might get for the top end of your budget. A Fairline Targa 27 is another possibility for similar money. Both would be great boats for what you have in mind as long as you choose diesel.

Some things to think about. A twin like the Falcon or Targa 27 will have old engines and drives so reliability needs to be considered. A newer single engined boat MIGHT prove more reliable than an older twin.

With twins you have twice the servicing costs.

With twins you will almost double your fuel consumption. Expect around 2.5mpg from the Falcon compared to 4.5mpg from a single diesel.

The biggest advantage of course with a twin is the extra security of having a built in back up, but you could always back up a single with an outboard as I have done in the past.

I quite like the suggestion for a Nimbus too. Different type of boat but great for Scottish cruising. Solidly built with a hardtop for all that liquid sunshine you get up that way :D. There's one Here within budget, but with a single 85hp diesel shaftdrive it will be a slow (circa 10 knots) cruise boat.

robertt

Visit site
Just noticed a Sealine S23 1998 with single 200hp diesel engine for £23000 locally. Does this seem like a good option for island hopping? The advert says 6 berths but this sounds a bit optimistic for a boat that size surely? Presumably that means 2 in the cockpit under canvas in fair weather (which for me would actually be OK)

neale

Visit site
Just noticed a Sealine S23 1998 with single 200hp diesel engine for £23000 locally. Does this seem like a good option for island hopping? The advert says 6 berths but this sounds a bit optimistic for a boat that size surely? Presumably that means 2 in the cockpit under canvas in fair weather (which for me would actually be OK)

Most boats of this size are actually 4 berths with two up forward in a convertible dinette and two in a mid cabin beneath the cockpit. There is usually the option to sleep one or two more in the cockpit under canvas but a boat of this size will feel very crowded with 6 on board.

Edit: the S23 is a good little boat but usually came with a 170hp KAD32 as the diesel option. What engine is in the one you are looking at?

Edit again: That is also very cheap. They are normally in the £30'sK with diesel

Edit 3rd time: Don't think they made an S23 in 98. Could be an S24 and would still be good value.

Last edited:

robertt

Visit site
The ad def says S23, it is on the kipmarina boatsales website. Says engine rebuit and details as follows:
Engine Brand: Merc D Tronic. 165/33
Engine(s) Total Power: 195 HP
Cruising Speed: 22 knots
Maximum Speed: 32 knots
Year Built: 1998
Engine Hours: 500

neale

Visit site
It is an S24. Even says so on the side. Sealine did used to use Mercruiser engines for a while so probably is original.

Not sure about the D-Tronic but I think it is actually a 165hp and not 195. If the broker got the model wrong I think it's highly likely this is wrong too. (there are other mistakes too like the boats only has 1 heads not 2, and the max draft will be more like 3 ft not 2 ft)

I'm not that familiar with the Merc D Tronic engines but if you ask on the Mobo forum you will get a very detailed list of anything particular to look out for on this engine.

Could be a good little package though as long as the engine is a good un.

robertt

Visit site
Thanks very much Neale, that was very helpful.
I thought it sounded too good myself, and when I googled Sealine S23 I couldn't find any as old as 1998 and the shape looked different!
I'm kinda veering toward a single engine diesel now, after taking on board all the previous advice and comments, so something like this might suit well. Is 500 engine hours quite high? Not sure what they mean by engine rebuilt, presumably not from scratch?