Anyone else beginning to panic as to where to winter, 2019/20 if no deal Bre><it.

greeny

Visit site
Re: Anyone else beginning to panic as to where to winter, 2019/20 if no deal Bre><it.

Is it time for bed yet One A?
Can you please get out of the other side tomorrow.
It's ruining an important and informative thread.

jordanbasset

Visit site
Re: Anyone else beginning to panic as to where to winter, 2019/20 if no deal Bre><it.

So to summarise if you do not get residency you will only be allowed 90 days in every 180.
If you do get residency you will be allowed to stay in that specific country for the period of your residency but that does not give you any right to stay longer than 90 days in every 180.
Post brexit there will be issues in many countries such as buying medical insurance for your host country and possible tax implications. You will need to prove you can be financially independent in many if not all countries. Depending on the country there will be issues such as boat registration and required qualifications
Am sure there are other issues but those are the ones I can think of

nortada

Visit site

So to summarise if you do not get residency you will only be allowed 90 days in every 180.

If you do get residency you will be allowed to stay in that specific country for the period of your residency but that does not give you any right to stay longer than 90 days in every 180. (PLEASE EXPLAIN❓❓❓❓❓)

Post brexit there will be issues in many countries such as buying medical insurance for your host country and possible tax implications. You will need to prove you can be financially independent in many if not all countries. Depending on the country there will be issues such as boat registration and required qualifications
Am sure there are other issues but those are the ones I can think of

Numerous links on:-

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthrea...U-Run-Up-To-Friday-29th-March-2019-amp-Beyond

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?514108-Portugal-loves-us!

and many other threads on this forum, backed up by statements by the British Ambassador to Portugal and the Portuguese Government, suggest to the contrary.

Residency is a national issue so countries will have different rules and where Brits in Portugal are concerned, grandfather rights exist.

Then there is The Golden Visa, another indication of Portugal’s attitude to newcomers wishing to settle in Portugal.

And for those considering Spain.

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?516479-Spain-doing-pragmatism-now

If Brexit ever happens, only time will tell.

Last edited:

jordanbasset

Visit site

Firstly we are talking about EU countries generally but secondly even in Portugal people applying for residence need medical insurance
This is the official website for the Portugal immigration service and details requirements for granting a residence visa
https://imigrante.sef.pt/en/solicitar/residir/art77-1/
alid residence visa
Evidence of sufficient means of subsistence, as per the provisions of Order number 1563/2007, of 11/12
Evidence that the applicant has adequate accommodation
Permission for checking criminal records (except for under 16 years old)
A document attesting to the existence of a family relationship, where applicable
Supporting evidence of registration within Tax Authority
Document proving that the applicant is registered with the Social Security, where applicable
Health insurance or supporting evidence he/she is covered by the National Health Service

I assume no one is argueing residence in one EU country gives you any rights of freedom of movement in the other countries besides the 90 days in every 180, as it has been done to death here with EU publications stating it doesn't. As to grand father rights surely this thread is not just for the 'I'm okay Jack' types who are already settled but the ones that will come after as well

Perhaps one of the reasons people have had different experiences is that most are applying while the UK is still a member of the EU. Then of course reciprocal health care arrangements apply and the process is much easier

Last edited:

nortada

Visit site

Firstly we are talking about EU countries generally but secondly even in Portugal people applying for residence need medical insurance
This is the official website for the Portugal immigration service and details requirements for granting a residence visa
alid residence visa
Evidence of sufficient means of subsistence, as per the provisions of Order number 1563/2007, of 11/12
A document attesting to the existence of a family relationship, where applicable
Document proving that the applicant is registered with the Social Security, where applicable
Health insurance or supporting evidence he/she is covered by the National Health Service

I assume no one is argueing residence in one EU country gives you any rights of freedom of movement in the other countries besides the 90 days in every 180, as it has been done to death here with EU publications stating it doesn't. As to grand father rights surely this thread is not just for the 'I'm okay Jack' types who are already settled but the ones that will come after as well

Perhaps one of the reasons people have had different experiences is that most are applying while the UK is still a member of the EU. Then of course reciprocal health care arrangements apply and the process is much easier

Firstly, I am talking about Iberia and more specifically Portugal.

We have Portuguese Residencia granted by the Camara in Lagos and my experiences getting residencia do not accord with your first paragraph, which applies to non-EU applicants getting a residence visa to visit Portugal. They have to apply through the Portuguese Embassy in their country.

Last edited:

jordanbasset

Visit site

We have Portuguese Residencia granted by the Camara in Lagos and my experiences getting residencia do not accord with your first paragraph, which apply to non-EU applicants getting a visa.

Of course it is about non EU Nationals, because that is what we will be when we leave the EU

nortada

Visit site

Of course it is about non EU Nationals, because that is what we will be when we leave the EU

Exactly but we are advised that those of us who already have Portuguese Residencia will retain these privileges whatever the outcome of Brexit.

This is why Brits in Portugal are advised to register for temporary residencia while they are still Citizens of the EU.

Last edited:

jordanbasset

Visit site

Agree but we are advised that those of us who already have Portuguese Residencia will retain these privileges whatever the outcome of Brexit.

This is why Brits in Portugal are advised to register for temporary residencia while they are still Citizens of the EU.

Yes as I have said it is okay for those currently able to do this, but it will badly effect those not able to at the moment but who still will want to adopt the cruising lifestyle in the EU in the future

nortada

Visit site

Yes as I have said it is okay for those currently able to do this, but it will badly effect those not able to at the moment but who still will want to adopt the cruising lifestyle in the EU in the future

Who knows, but this is thread drift to another topic.

I have now looked back over the 128 posts on this thread and all of the concerns of the past 2 days have been exhaustively covered by a number of contributors in the know so really no more to be said.

Rather than the future, I tend to deal to the here and now.

My signature says the rest.

Last edited:

Garold

Visit site

alid residence visa

I would tend to agree with you but there are some websites that suggest otherwise about the freedom to travel in other EU countries.

https://www.discusholdings.com/residency/residence-permit-in-greece/

And it can be confusing.

Garold

jordanbasset

Visit site

Rather than the future, I tend to deal to the here and now.

My reading of the OP was that it was all about the future, that is what happens post Brexit.
But you are right while we are still in the EU there will not be a problem whether you have residency or not, but I thought that was stating the bleeding obvious

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site

alid residence visa

PORTUGAL (other countries have different rules)

It's obvious you have obtained your information from web sites rather than having any practical experience. There are differences between an EU citizen taking up his/her right to residence and a non-EU citizen immigrating.

When I took out my 5 year residence, I had to provide proof of residential address and, because I had no paperwork proof (rental or marina agreement), had take 2 Portuguese citizens as witnesses to swear where I lived. They weren't interested in my financial status, criminal record check or, health insurance. I used my UK EHIC for State health treatment. No need to matriculate the boat or take national qualification, it stays on UK flag.

Some years later when applying for permanent residence, it was a bit more complicated as legalised translated copy of birth certificate was needed (any copy documents have to be <6 months old), declaration of financial status, which wasn't checked and, that's about it. I'm in the health system free of charge, registered with a GP and even have a Portuguese EHIC. No need for private health cover.

The rules for UK citizens may well change after B day as we'll no longer be EU citizens with a right to reside anywhere in EU.

jordanbasset

Visit site

The rules for UK citizens may well change after B day as we'll no longer be EU citizens with a right to reside anywhere in EU.

I am obviously not explaining myself, that is my whole point, I am talking about post Brexit, we will come under the same rules as non EU citizens and the link I posted to was from the official Portuguese immigration website of what was required

nortada

Visit site

Sorry to jump on this thread but cant see how to start a new one. I have the chance of buying a UK boat on a mooring berth in costa del sol. It does not sail so a floating apartment as such. Any advice as to what I need to look out for esp with bretix ? thanks

Hi Alex,

55 messages later.

Hope all this discussion has helped.

For me the main message is that different countries appear to have different attitudes to expats post Brexit and opinions on this forum differ.

Truth is, until Brexit happens nobody can be sure of the impact on Brits abroad in the EU but the general advice from the countries concerned and expats is, to register for residency in your country of choice before B-day is possibly a good move.

Portugal appears to be one of the more accommodating countries but as you plan to reside on a boat in the costas, this is hardly relevant❗

Would you make this boat in Spain your permanent residence or just a holiday home and visit for less than 90 days in a 180❓Could be significant post Brexit.

Best of luck with your adventure.

Last edited:

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site

I am obviously not explaining myself, that is my whole point, I am talking about post Brexit, we will come under the same rules as non EU citizens and the link I posted to was from the official Portuguese immigration website of what was required

OK, seems we were talking at cross purposes. While there are still a few months to go before supposed B day, this summer would be a good time to obtain residence. Can't understand why, when the problems have been known for so long, people have delayed taking action.

greeny

Visit site

OK, seems we were talking at cross purposes. While there are still a few months to go before supposed B day, this summer would be a good time to obtain residence. Can't understand why, when the problems have been known for so long, people have delayed taking action.

Hi Graham
Head and sand are two words that spring to mind in the village where I live. Lots of people here haven't done anything to prepare yet. Some of the information from the Portuguese government has pretty much spelled it out for them but I suspect they still don't think Brexit will happen.

nortada

Visit site

Hi Graham
Head and sand are two words that spring to mind in the village where I live. Lots of people here haven't done anything to prepare yet. Some of the information from the Portuguese government has pretty much spelled it out for them but I suspect they still don't think Brexit will happen.

Many people ashore here seem to have had residencia before Brexit came along and new people are using the golden visa procedure.

Some boaties are registering but many are concerned about giving up their anonymity, which doesn’t make much sense moored in a marina.

Wonder what is the response of those at anchor in the Guadiana and are they taking Portuguese or Spanish residencia - or both❓

Visit site

How much is the Portuguese golden visa these days? And who can apply?

Investments eligible for the
Portuguese Golden Visa

Property Acquisition

- Purchase a property worth at least 500,000€
- Purchase a property worth at least 350,000€ (low density area)
Capital Contributions

- Invest at least 350,000€ in an investment fund
- Transfer 1,000,000€ to a Portuguese bank account
- Invest at least 350,000€ in scientific research

One A.

Visit site

Thank you for that, do you happen to know if you have maintaine those amounts year on year? We have a Zimbabwean freind looking at her options.