Anyone else beginning to panic as to where to winter, 2019/20 if no deal Bre><it.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Re: Anyone else beginning to panic as to where to winter, 2019/20 if no deal Bre><it.

Wonder what is the response of those at anchor in the Guadiana and are they taking Portuguese or Spanish residencia - or both❓

Each year we visit, more of the older/long term liveaboards have moved ashore and taken up residence. At a guess, maybe more on the Spanish side.

Visit site
Re: Anyone else beginning to panic as to where to winter, 2019/20 if no deal Bre><it.

Thank you for that, do you happen to know if you have maintaine those amounts year on year? We have a Zimbabwean freind looking at her options.

Once you obtain Portuguese nationality ( takes 5 years) you should be free to do what you want.

Last edited:

luckybeanz

www.luckybeanz.com

Seems this thread went way off topic from the get go. The OP was questioning the options of where to winter. What do you say, can we bring it back on topic as we are in the same position, still trying to decide where to winter. I am particularly interested to hear if anyone has wintered in Montenegro, specifically Kotor Marina in the center of town and failing that Porto Montenegro (They seem very professional and have quoted Euro3150 for Oct to April ) around the corner.

The Kotor Marina seems it would be a good cheap option which we prefer, but have no idea what it would be like in winter. I'd assume a bit colder than Lefkada, Greece where we wintered last year, but probably not as wet.

The Porto Montenegro is more than we'd like to pay, but it is actually about the same price as Lefkada Marina and it's facilities look like they are far better kept.

sailaboutvic

Visit site

Not sure size of your boats , the Sicilian marina be it MDR or Licata do very good deals and there much warmer and dryer then Greece . If you looking for low cost in Greece try messolonghi, first year back has a liveaboud winter marina .
Lefkas is as wet and after Dec and can be very cold too . Saying that most of Greece is about the same , mybe Crete is better .
As for panic in over Brexit, that not us , I have met one Brit this year who has put his boat up for sale because of Bexit , told us 90/180 wouldn't work for them ,
I'm doing nothing and waiting to see the end result and take it from there , all I say there is ways around it , might mean sailing off to North Africa or doing a bit of a dance with custom to get nearly a full six month in the EU but it's possible .in Which case tho who are only out for the summer can still have their cake and eat it .
The pain was for people like us who are full time liveaboard and cruisers not staying in one country all year round ,, but as I say there ways around it .

Last edited:

blxm

Visit site

Seems this thread went way off topic from the get go. The OP was questioning the options of where to winter. What do you say, can we bring it back on topic as we are in the same position, still trying to decide where to winter. I am particularly interested to hear if anyone has wintered in Montenegro, specifically Kotor Marina in the center of town and failing that Porto Montenegro (They seem very professional and have quoted Euro3150 for Oct to April ) around the corner.

The Kotor Marina seems it would be a good cheap option which we prefer, but have no idea what it would be like in winter. I'd assume a bit colder than Lefkada, Greece where we wintered last year, but probably not as wet.

The Porto Montenegro is more than we'd like to pay, but it is actually about the same price as Lefkada Marina and it's facilities look like they are far better kept.

I can’t tell you what Porto Montenegro is like over winter but we had about 2 weeks in March this year and I can confirm that the marina is very, very well run. Spotlessly clean and friendly staff. We didn’t come across any live aboards. However, even in March some shops and restaurants hadn’t opened for the season. The marina complex, it is massive, could be a bit sole less I suspect over winter as it’s very much geared to the luxury summer market (90% of the stock in the modest chandler was cleaning product! They are helpful and can get almost anything next day). Hopefully someone can give you a better over winter view.
I liked the place.

Tony Cross

Visit site

Regarding the no-deal Brexit panic in the thread title, the Greek government has made its clear that all UK citizens in Greece, whether registered or not, and whether they arrive before or after the withdrawal date, will enjoy a grace period up to 31st December 2020 during which they will be able to stay. It's not winter 2019/20 you need to worry about, it's winter 2020/21......

Source: https://brexit.gov.gr/uk-citizens-in-greece/

luckybeanz

www.luckybeanz.com

I can’t tell you what Porto Montenegro is like over winter but we had about 2 weeks in March this year and I can confirm that the marina is very, very well run. Spotlessly clean and friendly staff. We didn’t come across any live aboards. However, even in March some shops and restaurants hadn’t opened for the season. The marina complex, it is massive, could be a bit sole less I suspect over winter as it’s very much geared to the luxury summer market (90% of the stock in the modest chandler was cleaning product! They are helpful and can get almost anything next day). Hopefully someone can give you a better over winter view.
I liked the place.

Thanks for the info. Ye, that is what puts me off the marina there, it seems all about the luxury market, which is something I rather deplore.

luckybeanz

www.luckybeanz.com

Regarding the no-deal Brexit panic in the thread title, the Greek government has made its clear that all UK citizens in Greece, whether registered or not, and whether they arrive before or after the withdrawal date, will enjoy a grace period up to 31st December 2020 during which they will be able to stay. It's not winter 2019/20 you need to worry about, it's winter 2020/21......

Source: https://brexit.gov.gr/uk-citizens-in-greece/

Quite frankly I am hoping that all of this bickering about counties has us finally realize that they are just figments of our imagination and we all share this planet. When you really look into it, it is completely ridiculous and arbitrary who can and can't stay in which country for what period of time.

RAI

Visit site

Quite frankly I am hoping that all of this bickering about counties has us finally realize that they are just figments of our imagination and we all share this planet. When you really look into it, it is completely ridiculous and arbitrary who can and can't stay in which country for what period of time.
Some might agree with you, but none of them will be Brexiteers.

Anyway, countries are government jurisdictions, run mostly as protection rackets.