Antifoul and oil in Portugal!!

daveg45

Visit site
I am in Portimao. I have just seen the price of Volvo engine oil and Hempel tiger true blue!!!

Does anyone know if it can be flown in form the UK.

Any supplier over here that is reasonable?

Do I need to use Volvo oil in my D55. Will car diesel oil do just as well from a supermarket?

Cheers all

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
I am in Portimao. I have just seen the price of Volvo engine oil and Hempel tiger true blue!!!

Does anyone know if it can be flown in form the UK.

Any supplier over here that is reasonable?

Do I need to use Volvo oil in my D55. Will car diesel oil do just as well from a supermarket?

Cheers all

Using oil that matches the specification indicated in the manual will be perfectly OK and usually will represent a considerable saving. The relevant spec will usually be API C? where ? is a letter between D and I, or ACEA something.

DownWest

Visit site
Ask around the fishing port area for Torpedo antifoul sources. We used it on our company yacht and the skipper thought it better than most others he had used in the med. It might have been Spanish.
And flying paints is a no-no, esp toxic stuff like a/f. The X channel ferries are non too keen on carrying stuff like epoxies in other than small quantities (recent experience)
Long shot here. Over in Ferraguda, there is a british artist on the quay by the 'Tres Macacos' bar. Has a small gallery and has built a couple of semi trad open boats. Might be able to help, as has a nose for a bargin. Name of David, and has also owned a couple of yachts there. Bit out of date here, not spoken to him for 5 yrs. but worth a try.
Good luck
A

Ah. crossed with Duncan about flying paint, cooking gets in the light.

Last edited:

greeny

Visit site
I've been here going on 10years and haven't found a cheap source of decent antifoul yet. You may be able to get some cheap from the fisherman's store down on the Doca de Pesca (big building backing onto the fish dock) but it won't be Hempells.
I've often wondered if Spain (only an hour away) would be a better option but never actually tried it. On the odd occasion I've driven from the uk I've brought it with me but usually end up paying the local prices.
As for the oil - as others have said - the supemarkets are a good source if it meets the spec. That's what i use.

Dave

TonyMS

www.montgomery-smith.org
There is a Hempel's store in Portimao. I can't remember the address, but it's on a side turning right just before you get to the Centro Commerciale with C&A in it. They have me a discount on some gloss paint, and didn't charge tax, so you'd probably get a deal on any other Hempel paint.

Good prices for all chandlery in Ayamonte, opposite the marina, and El Teron, upstream from El Rompido.

Tony

daveg45

Visit site
Thanks for all the advice. I really appreciate it.

The Volvo spec is ACEAP E5 and API C1-4 whatever that means. Am I right in assuming it is mineral oil? I have never got my head round synthetic and semi synthetic. Can they be mixed?

Ayamar have anti foul wit h 45% copper oxide at 79 euro for 2.5 litre. Again not sure how compatible it is with tiger extra. Could I paint it on straight over the top?

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Thanks for all the advice. I really appreciate it.

The Volvo spec is ACEAP E5 and API C1-4 whatever that means. Am I right in assuming it is mineral oil? I have never got my head round synthetic and semi synthetic. Can they be mixed?

With that spec it's very likely to be semi-synthetic or synthetic. Seems over-specified to me for a yacht auxiliary engine, but typical for Volvo. There should be no problem mixing with whatever you have. Synthetics are hydrocarbons just like mineral oils, it's just that instead of being distilled from crude oil they are made from lighter products, such as gas. This ensures that the molecular length is more uniform, helping to reduce gum deposits in hot engines.

maxi77

Visit site
There is a Hempel's store in Portimao. I can't remember the address, but it's on a side turning right just before you get to the Centro Commerciale with C&A in it. They have me a discount on some gloss paint, and didn't charge tax, so you'd probably get a deal on any other Hempel paint.

Good prices for all chandlery in Ayamonte, opposite the marina, and El Teron, upstream from El Rompido.

Tony

There are 2

Portimão
A. S. GARDEN - Retail, Distribution and Services Paints, Ltd.
Alto da Boa Vista, a lot
8500-767 Portimão
Tel: 282 492 584
Fax: 282 492 284
E-mail: asjardim@net.sapo.pt
Portimão
NAUTICAL WAVE LTD.
Rua D. Charles I, 42A
8500-607 Portimão
Tel: 282 418 920
Fax: 282 418 921

daveg45

Visit site
I emailed AS Jardim therer reply was 'We have 2.5 litre tin Mille dynamic self polishing anti-foul (True Blue) Price 129.75€'

How about I wait until Gibraltar or somewhere. Any recommendations anyone?

I read in the Volvo manual that ant foul containing copper oxide can increase the risk of galvanic corrosion and therefore should never be used.

Appleyard

Visit site
You'll find that you can't carry antifoul with you on a passenger flight as it is classified as dangerous air cargo. You might find a UK courier who'd get ti to Portugal for you but it'd probably cost as much as buying it there in the first place.
They will have to catch you first!!!

I took 2 half gallon tins of International Micron extra in my hand luggage the last time I went over to the boat. No problem,except it is a bit on the heavy side

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
I took 2 half gallon tins of International Micron extra in my hand luggage the last time I went over to the boat.

How did you manage to get that past airport security? And what airport so I can avoid?

davidgraham

Visit site
Engine oil

Have just read this thread.

I have a Volvo D2-55, and the advice I received from a deisel engine mechanic that any 15-40 diesel mineral oil will be fine - but must be MINERAL. Read somewhere that synthetic and semi-synthetic are not suitable for these engines.

Used Castrol GTX purchased in a supermarket in Leixoes on the way down to the Med at about a third of the price of Volvo oil. If you can find Shell Rimula oil, if complies with the VDS-2 spec as does the Volvo product.