Anodes

golf

Visit site
My boat is due for a change of anodes the boat is built from 5mm aluminium plate the existing anodes are circular discs about ten inches in dia and about an inch thick . there are six in all along the hull ,three either side, bolted direct to the hull .
I can see the location of them when I lift the ally floor plates in the engine room but they do not seem to be connected in any way to any equipment. Presumably they are self conducting thro the hull.
Question 1 what type of anode do I need ( river location now )Aly Zinc Or magnesium.
2 I may not be able to lift boat untill spring next year so could I hang anodes over the side and if so what wire should I connect them to and what part of the boat sould I connect the wire to .
and finally 3 any recomendations to who can supply me with what I need
Thanks in anticipation of expert replys
Golf

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Private messages a bit naff IMHO. Ok for private stuff, obvious. But the idea is, it is a forum for sharing knowledge.

For all we know, you might have told him to hang baked bean cans over the side, tied on with string. Course he would believe this, as it is a private message, so maybe more important.

andyball

Visit site
http://www.mme-group.com/en/ are reeeeely cheap for zinc or ally anodes - cast to order within a few days - they should able to advise on magnesium vs alum etc too .

Hard to recommend 'em highly enuff - less than 1/2 the price of evry other supplier I found.

fwiw, used to own a 21' ally boat w/o anodes in salt water - fitted two zincs and umm, they never ever corroded at all- neither did the hull , err below the waterline anyway.and above was just the paint lifting off.

DorsetPete

Visit site
dickh's advice is spot on!

Speak to MGDuff and do it by email so you get their advice in writing - and then follow it to the letter.

Only THEY are the professionals! Everyone else is an amateur and you can't sue the amateurs if you follow their advice and end up with expensive corrosion!

Cheers

Kaste

Visit site
Spoke to M G Duff myself recently, they were extremely helpful and the advice was sound. I requested local suppliers and they provided a list, but steered me towards a company ASAP Supplies in East Anglia. I'm located on The Hamble, but have to state ASAP were loads cheaper and 20kgs worth of anodes(4) arrived 2 days later for £8.50 delivery charge.

Hope that helps!

andyball

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Only THEY are the professionals! Everyone else is an amateur

[/ QUOTE ]

hmm, all due respect to mgduff, but they ain't the only pro anode ppl out there.

leadersail

Visit site
I have never known anyone use cans as anodes before, but it does make sense, I expect the Tin coating is the main bit ?
How often do you need to change them, as soon as the Tin wears off or does the steel can rusting away also work ?

I will use them over the winter so my zinc hull ones will be in pristine condition for the summer when it will be a pain to keep bringing in the cans before we set off.

Do you think sheep netting string would work best, it has a stainless steel wire inside nylon.

Yours must work through the wet string, but on a dry day I wouldn't think there would me much current running through them.

If you want some sheep netting send me a pm and I'll cut some off for you.

golf

Visit site
Re: Anodes and personal messages

Thanks every one for the advice I will be in touch with McDuff
as to the p/message it was an old friend from twenty years ago letting me know where he,s at.
Golf