Anderson 22 promoter?

Seajet

Visit site
Right, on to something useful...

I find as time goes by the effort by me and strain on the keel lift pulleys & winch seems to increase; I'm careful not to put too much paint on the keel plate - an easy mistake, it's quite a tight fit - so it's very hard to tell if something is slightly restricting the keel, or as I haven't been in great health lately and not getting any younger, is it me ?

I mentioned this to an old BAe friend who has just completely rewired my boat, he's an ace engineer and has made me a torque wrench which simply bolts onto the keel winch.

There are 6 Anderson 22's at my club, the plan is we'll all try this patent kit and compare readings, then see if any conclusion can be drawn for the class overall - should be interesting, to a nerd like me anyway !

V1701

Visit site
I hope you stay, but when a bit of gentle ribbing turns into anyone having a go at any random opportunity in an attempt to make themselves appear clever or funny or in the know, don't blame you for leaving. Having a pop at you did get too much...

Seajet

Visit site
It wasn't just stuff directed at me, more the general vicious arguing rather than trying to help people which is what I think these forums are for - anyway let's see !

I am certainly not giving up on the other place though, I feel I have a lot of good friends there and it remains my favourite.

Last edited:

Seajet

Visit site
A good friend with a lifetime of experience at sea took up sailing a few years ago and has an immaculate Trident 24 - as he says an Anderson can sail rings round it, but the Trident is a very fine boat - I was pleasantly surprised by her triple keel performance, much more than adequate - her looks and accomodation are better than the A22, which mainly scores in this case on speed, serious heavy weather ability and the most rewarding helm experience on the planet ( probably :) ).

NealB

Visit site
The Trident we had ('Mary Reeve of Hamble') was a fin keeler, and had very pleasing performance.

No rocket, but a very solid performer, and a nicely balanced helm. She was SO steerable under power, too.

We didn't really put her to any really severe test, weather-wise, but she coped very happily with the few strongish, offshore winds we met along the way (we only had about a season and a half).

Steve in #24 makes a very pertinent observation!

For me, the A22 scores over the Trident in her ability to dry out: lots of quiet anchorages round here with lovely soft, supportive, understanding mud.

Wansworth

Visit site
It wasn't just stuff directed at me, more the general vicious arguing rather than trying to help people which is what I think these forums are for - anyway let's see !

I am certainly not giving up on the other place though, I feel I have a lot of good friends there and it remains my favourite.
Will you tell them how nice we are here?

Seajet

Visit site
Neal,

I'm very confident the A22 would still sail rings around a fin Trident - I haven't tried the helm feel on one but it is undoubtedly THE best feature of the A22.

As for drying moorings mine usually settles completely upright, unlike the twin keelers around.

Usually the ends and sides don't touch even in soft mud so it's ok to leave the engine in the well if staying aboard - and a porta potti can be used even when dried out ( a friend with a nearby A22 started off with a Silhouette with a sea loo in the cockpit, great in a marina - " morning ! " ) :)

Seajet

Visit site

It has already been noticed, but you really ought to try the other side too, much pleasanter than the lounge here; though there seems to have been a change here, the really vindictive sods haven't surfaced yet ! (y)

bitbaltic

sailingkarisma.wordpress.com

It has already been noticed, but you really ought to try the other side too, much pleasanter than the lounge here; though there seems to have been a change here, the really vindictive sods haven't surfaced yet ! (y)
I’ve never understood why anybody visits the lounge. It’s nothing to do with sailing. Might as well just go to some mad political forum. I’ve been ignoring it successfully for 9 years and that way it doesn’t reflect on the enjoyment of the rest of the site (the sailing bit that’s actually interesting).

NealB

Visit site

Andy: I respect you, I like you, I'm full of admiration for much of your knowledge and you have an appealing sense of fun.

But trying to sell NTL on here strikes me as unbecoming and unnecesary.

I suspect that, like me, many on here have already tried it.

Please, please ......... let sleeping dogs lie!

Seajet

Visit site
Well Neal, I get what you are saying but over there they / we are secure enough to mention here quite happily; I do think it was quite marvellous for people rather than sitting around moaning to actually do something positive and set their own up .

Meanwhile there's something on the A22 Facebook site which a lot of people here who like to take the p out of me ( justified I agree ) will like - posted by Gerry the Ferry who until very recently had an A22 set up for the Jester - a huge wake with boat out of shot, leaving upturned ' normal ' boat and rescue services after the shock wave passes :)

As for that neglected example near you, she has huge potential and doesn't even require a lot of work, just a few fundamental items; I looked at her for a chap on Ascension Island - yes that one ! - who fancied getting one or two cheap A22's for a sailing school / club out there. What really annoyed me at the time was I'd been given photo's which turned out to be from decades earlier, nothing like the poor neglected example I was faced with, but that has been sorted now and the seller is very realistic. BTW I don't even take subscriptions for the owners association now, it was far too much hassle keeping track who had paid and unfair on those who did while a lot of people didn't - so now I just throw all the information I have out there inc the 11 pages of ' top tips ' I came up with, judging by the questions I get nobody ever reads it anyway ! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Seajet

Visit site
Just for interest re. Anderson 22 distribution of the 182 made, home bases -

Many boats on English East & Southern Coasts ( 6 at Langstone SC on the Chichester side for a start )

3 in Scotland

1 in Lake District

2 in France ( 1 for sale )

6 in Ireland

1 on Lake Como

1 in Greece

1 in Cyprus

1 on the Danube

1 in Belgium

2 in Norway

1 in Vietnam

NealB

Visit site
Thanks for the reply, Andy.

Actually, it's nothing at all to do with being "secure enough": it's much more about a feeling of, "yawn, yawn ........... I'm bored with this, it's time to move on"!

Ah well: each to their own!

As you may have noticed, I've joined the FB group: thank you!

Are you talking about the one in Sandwich?

Last edited:

Seajet

Visit site
Hi Neal,

it's the one ashore at the marina in Burnham on Crouch.

As I say I can give a rundown of what's really required, which isn't that much; she's diabolical cosmetically, I don't know if it would polish off or otherwise a simple clean then paint with Toplac.

Keith 66

Visit site
There are two at Benfleet, my old one & another. I still miss that boat but going forward over the cabin was not on any more for my other half, two new hips later a bit more comfort is required.
We now sail a Sabre 27 (fin keel version) & she sails like a big Anderson, only trouble is cant wind the bloody keel up no matter where i look for the winch handle!
The other one at the club hasnt moved in decades & i doubt its keel will even go up & down. My old one i replaced the keel plate & case completely, interesting job!

NealB

Visit site
Hi Neal,

it's the one ashore at the marina in Burnham on Crouch.

As I say I can give a rundown of what's really required, which isn't that much; she's diabolical cosmetically, I don't know if it would polish off or otherwise a simple clean then paint with Toplac.

Ahhaa.... she's been lying there, seemingly totally ignored, for years and years. I run close by her nearly every day.

I'll stop and have a bit more of a peek tomorrow.

Seajet

Visit site
Neal you're not wrong about neglect, the tiller had simply rotted and dropped off via gravity ! The interior was surprisingly good but that was a few years ago. Only important bit I didn't get to see was the sails.