And why exactly has the Commercial Endorsement thread been removed?

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
Has AlanT gone crying to the Mods, or was it VO5? Am I the only one who finds it strange that this thread has gone with no explanation? Surely removing the offending post(s) - whatever those were - would have been sufficient.

For information:

Commercial endorsement of an RYA Yachtmaster Offshore certificate requires a medical. This can be an ML5 or an ENG1.

The ML5 covers you to use your commercial endorsement in waters up to Cat2 - or 60 miles from a safe haven. For Cat 1 waters - up to 150 miles from a safe haven - you will need to take the ENG1 medical.

- W

D

Deleted member 36384

Good grief! I never thought that any of the comments were borderline offensive just robust defensive expressions.

It was a good thread, it had actually achieved a good level of facts and understanding around the ENG1 / ML5 situation and had introduced some other points.

Sure, there were entrenched positions but so what? Can we have it back please? Even locked would be good enough.

jerrytug - spot on, I actually looked forward to the next instalment, it had a soap quality about as well, wondering if opinions would be changed at any moment, only to be dashed again.

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
may we have links back ?

Would it be possible to have back just the various links that had been posted ?

At least those to the MCA site, where I personally have a lot of difficulties in finding the intormation I am looking for.

Thanks

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
Would it be possible to have back just the various links that had been posted ?

At least those to the MCA site, where I personally have a lot of difficulties in finding the intormation I am looking for.

Thanks

From the RYA site:

How do I apply for a standard commercial endorsement?

Send the following items to RYA Certification, RYA House, Ensign Way, Hamble, Hampshire SO31 4YA:
Your original certificate - see list above
A commercial endorsement application form - see link on the right
An ML5 or ENG1 medical fitness certificate - download the MCA's ML5 form from the link below. Skippers working in category 1 or 0 waters will need the ENG1 medical. Contact the MCA for a list of approved doctors.
A copy of your RYA Basic Sea Survival certificate or Personal Survival Techniques STCW95
A passport sized photo with your name on the back
The fee

*From April 2012 applicants for the commercial endorsement will also have to complete an online course and assessment, as detailed in the ‘What is a commercial endorsement?’ section above.

Here's a link to the relevant MCA Document governing medical certificates, which says the same thing.

Hope this helps,

- W

Pete R

Visit site
Has AlanT gone crying to the Mods, or was it VO5? Am I the only one who finds it strange that this thread has gone with no explanation?

I asked for it to be closed last night as there was some serious Trolling going on by the two you mentioned above.

I am surprised it has been removed though.

Pete R

Visit site
Thanks

Please ask away if you have any more questions.

It can get a bit confusing when you are given the wrong information.

fireball

Visit site
Pete R apparently has the special privileges to stop the rest of us seeing what the fuss was.

Pete

No - according to him, he just requested it was closed ... that's different to having it removed. Perfectly reasonable if it had turned into a slanging match.
As far as I am aware Pete R isn't a MOD and has no additional privileges over you lot (I'm different :p) and he used is right as a forum member to alert the moderators to the thread.

It's down to the MODs to decide what to do about a thread. Something that has been debated in the Lounge of late.

fireball

Visit site
I don't get it really - surely if there's a thread going on and you don't like the way it's going then just don't read it.
Yes and no ..

Quite agree on some subjects - if they are of no interest to you then why read them - it's normally perfectly clear which these threads will be - and if not then there is always the back button.

BUT

If it's a perfectly innocuous thread that is of interest to yourself that a couple of people hijack and start a slanging match then it's perfectly reasonable to call in a referee ...

prv

Visit site
No - according to him, he just requested it was closed ... that's different to having it removed.

I think it's much the same thing. How come his request is honoured, over those who (presumably) would have wanted it kept open? Nobody asked them, and poof, it's gone. I wasn't reading the thread so I don't have a dog in this fight, as it were, but this kind of thing does annoy me. Some god-like force descending from above and unilaterally evaporating part of the landscape. It's disorienting.

Pete

electrosys

Boston - gateway to the North Sea (and bugger all
Visit site
If it's a perfectly innocuous thread that is of interest to yourself that a couple of people hijack and start a slanging match then it's perfectly reasonable to call in a referee ...

Call in a referee ? Strewth - it's like being back at school - "Let's call teacher to sort out the naughty boys".

You don't need to do anything - except walk away.

I've forgotten the number of times I've posted to a thread, only for a pi$$ing contest to start-up. My attitude is simply to walk away, and let those with a 'small willy problem' get on with it.

It's also worth bearing in mind that, unlike the lounge, this forum can be read by the whole world and his dog. YBW is a commercial operation who allow us to post here free of charge - so a bit of respect/ tolerance/ general good-naturedness towards other posters wouldn't go amiss.

fireball

Visit site
I think it's much the same thing. How come his request is honoured, over those who (presumably) would have wanted it kept open? Nobody asked them, and poof, it's gone. I wasn't reading the thread so I don't have a dog in this fight, as it were, but this kind of thing does annoy me. Some god-like force descending from above and unilaterally evaporating part of the landscape. It's disorienting.

Pete

Ask him to report this post and see if it gets the thread removed. It won't because my post isn't abusive.

fireball

Visit site
Call in a referee ? Strewth - it's like being back at school - "Let's call teacher to sort out the naughty boys".

You don't need to do anything - except walk away.

I've forgotten the number of times I've posted to a thread, only for a pi$$ing contest to start-up. My attitude is simply to walk away, and let those with a 'small willy problem' get on with it.

It's also worth bearing in mind that, unlike the lounge, this forum can be read by the whole world and his dog. YBW is a commercial operation who allow us to post here free of charge - so a bit of respect/ tolerance/ general good-naturedness towards other posters wouldn't go amiss.

You need to look at the discussions in the lounge on this.
This is our forum - Ipc provide the infrastructure but we are the ones that make it work. There will always be a few heated discussions and it is not surprising that a few cannot control themselves in a more gentlemanly manner (I'm probably guilty of this too from time to time) so moderation can be used.
Walk away is a good move but some control needs to be applied to stop it going to the dogs

ARO

Visit site
At least, removing this tread removed a lot of false information. This helps to keep up the qualitiy of this forum.

T

timbartlett

At least, removing this tread removed a lot of false information. This helps to keep up the qualitiy of this forum.
It also removed a lot of good (and useful) information, with links to definitive sources.