Anchor lights

Robih

Boat - West Scotland, Home - Tamar, Devon
Visit site
i have an LED anchor light which I bought probably more than a decade ago, it was made in the Windies I think, possibly by a cruising couple as a small business to fund the lifestyle, at least that’s what I vaguely recall. It was named something like an “Mbebi”, that’s probably wrong. Anyway, it’s excellent. It has bright white LEDs around the edge and then soft white LEDs that point down at the deck. Light sensitive on/off. Uses didly squat A. So it illuminates as a normal anchor light would plus the deck too. Regrettably IIRC the makers packed up because foreign economics ruined the business model. It’s a shame, great kit, luckily I have three which should see me to the end of my boating days.IMG_2023-08-14-113232.jpeg

Refueler

Visit site
If people really are into LED stuff .... local camping shops have amazing LED stuff to hang in tents etc.

This little gem was about a fiver .... takes 2 D cells ... has bright White steady and next press of button gives quick flashing red ....

3bjYsLml.jpg

Goldie

Visit site
Imho, the perfect solution. All round visibility (tested - staysail is more distant from the light than it appears in the pic) and well in excess of 2nm visibility as required. Dusk to dawn auto switching bulb, minimal power consumption and marine ‘approved’ lens (it’s an Aquasignal all-round white with the bulb changed). Power supply from foot of the mast.

Attachments

• IMG_1784.jpeg
    IMG_1784.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 27

Travelling Westerly

Visit site
Imho, the perfect solution. All round visibility (tested - staysail is more distant from the light than it appears in the pic) and well in excess of 2nm visibility as required. Dusk to dawn auto switching bulb, minimal power consumption and marine ‘approved’ lens (it’s an Aquasignal all-round white with the bulb changed). Power supply from foot of the mast.
Its very visible from over here (anchored nearby) and stands out from the numerous other boats in this anchorage 👍🏻

geem

Visit site
We have a masthead anchor light and a very bright double LED light in a freznel lens that can be hung in the foretriangle. What we use depends on the circumstances. If there is lots of passing nightime traffic, we use both lights. If we are anchored along in a quite spot with no light pollution from land, we will often use the masthead lamp.
When returning from a bar in the dark in the evening we would leave both lights on plus we have a green strip waterproof led fixed to one of the tubes of the sprayhood. It illuminates the inside of the sprayhood and is extremely visible from a long way off. It very different from a starboard hand marker, before anybody says so. In a crowded anchorage, it makes locating the boat so much easier

rogerthebodger

Visit site
With the availability of strips of LED lights in various colours its very easy to leave several light in the cockpit or in the cabin that can be left on depencing the requirements.

I have strips if white LED in my cockpit for use when sitting out and red LED's for when sailing at night.

Strips of LEDs in th spreaders also help to light up the deck.

Remote controls can also be used to switch extra lights on when returning from the pub t help locate your boat

GHA

Visit site
i have an LED anchor light which I bought probably more than a decade ago, it was made in the Windies I think, possibly by a cruising couple as a small business to fund the lifestyle, at least that’s what I vaguely recall. It was named something like an “Mbebi”, that’s probably wrong. Anyway, it’s excellent. It has bright white LEDs around the edge and then soft white LEDs that point down at the deck. Light sensitive on/off. Uses didly squat A. So it illuminates as a normal anchor light would plus the deck too. Regrettably IIRC the makers packed up because foreign economics ruined the business model. It’s a shame, great kit, luckily I have three which should see me to the end of my boating days.View attachment 161849
Think they were Fiji based. Made some based on that.
Make your own anchor light.
The original cobbled together one from 8 years ago has been shining brightly inside what turned out to be a useless oil lamp but with a good fresnell lens.
DIY anchor light
1WRSvkN.jpg

billyfish

Visit site
If people really are into LED stuff .... local camping shops have amazing LED stuff to hang in tents etc.

This little gem was about a fiver .... takes 2 D cells ... has bright White steady and next press of button gives quick flashing red ....

3bjYsLml.jpg
There we go with flashing again

Refueler

Visit site
Why do people want to put up flashing lights that will just confuse mariners?

The rules are there for a purpose. Messing around with them is poor seamanship. In my opinion......

I totally agree .... the only reason I mentioned flash red on that battery LED lantern is because it does it on second push of switch .... its designed as a hazard light if a camper breaks down on the road ...

Its others that seem hell bent on strobes and other 'rubbish' ....

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
It surprises me that nobody seems to have matched the superb anchor light bought from the excellent Pavlou Brothers chandlery at Poros in the Aegean Sea. I believe that these lights are actually intended to fit to the top of scaffolding poles but they are easily adapted to take a large stainless steel marine fitting instead. The light is totally independent of the boat, charged by a small solar panel in the top and switched on and off automatically. We switch it on in April and off in October. Ashore we frequently note that it is the brightest light in the anchorage. I bought it in about 2010 and have replaced the rechargable battery once. I bought another later in case the original one failed but I have yet to use it.IMG_1938.JPG

billyfish

Visit site
Well never mind the lights . I'm in Portland with 7 other boats. Only myself and a Dutch man have anchor balls raised.

wonkywinch

Visit site
I liked Tom Cunliffe's video where he restores an old oil lamp but not sure I'd be happy leaving a molotov cocktail suspended above my bunk all night.