Anchor lights

billyfish

Visit site
Not a anchor thread 🥱 but am I the only one a bit annoyed with anchor lights at the top of , ever increasing tall masts. Mine although not hung in the fore triangle. Is just under the boom therefore illuminating the deck and very visible from the deck of a passing vessel. It's hung there as the wire reaches back to the cabin. I know this might seem a bit picky but a crowded anchorage on a dark night one isn't looking 50 foot up.

PCUK

Visit site
Not a anchor thread 🥱 but am I the only one a bit annoyed with anchor lights at the top of , ever increasing tall masts. Mine although not hung in the fore triangle. Is just under the boom therefore illuminating the deck and very visible from the deck of a passing vessel. It's hung there as the wire reaches back to the cabin. I know this might seem a bit picky but a crowded anchorage on a dark night one isn't looking 50 foot up.
Very true, been there!

Neeves

Visit site
When you are some distance offshore masthead lights can be seen and can determine how busy an anchorage might be. Close to an appropriately located anchor light that illuminates the deck is a boon.

There is no one right answer, except to have 'both'.

Historically regulation anchor lights used power. Now with LEDs we can have a regulation masthead light and a separate light that illuminates the foredeck. Technology has moved faster than the ability of some to take advantage.

Jonathan

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Especially in an area where many small fishing boats operate, i.e. most of the Mediterranean countries plus France Spain and Portugal on the Atlantic side. It is physically impossible for the helm of these boats to see a high anchor light from inside the boat, even if they tried to do so. Almost nobody drives around in the dark gazing upwards but especially if the roof is in the way.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
I am more than happy to see an anchor light at the top of a mast. Why anybody wants to hide their anchor light under the boom, where it could be hidden with all the paraphernalia of modern boats: arches, solar panels, wind vanes or crew is beyond me. I want to see you as I enter the anchorage. It is rare for a night to be totally dark and most boats have cabin lights on for at least part of the night.

I'm always worried that people are not actually looking at the environment they are operating in if they just peer at eye level, our cousins across the pond call it situational awareness.

West Coast

Visit site
Agreed, mast head anchor lights are next to useless IMHO. I can remember one particularly dark night arriving into Ardminish Bay in Gigha, and finding it just about impossible to identify where boats were from the lights so high up on the top of masts. I too just use a low level anchor light (or riding light) which I tie in place by light string from the genoa back to the mast.

rogerthebodger

Visit site
Not sure why the masthead option has become default.

The rules specifically say for <50m where is can best be seen - that should really be at the likely eye level of an approaching vessel

This depends from where you are located.

When offshore the best place is top of mast where there is no obstructions

When close in Anchorage clarly at deck level is the best

Due to the lower current consumption of newer navigation lights maybe we should have both

One issue I have had is shore background lights of anchor lights but also lead lights on entry to harbours

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
Not sure why the masthead option has become default.

The rules specifically say for <50m where is can best be seen - that should really be at the likely eye level of an approaching vessel
Being devil's' advocate, eye level for what particular vessel? From the dinghy on the way back from the pub or 3.5m above the water line.

dunedin

Visit site
Yes, I agree entirely - and though we have a masthead anchor light, always use a light hooked under the boom instead (carefully positioned at a height which avoids being obscured, except perhaps by the mast).

Also, IMHO being visible from astern is generally much more useful than being in the fore triangle. Generally one anchors such that a bay is a windward shore, not a lee shore. Hence any boat entering will be coming from astern of the anchored boats, not ahead of them.
(Anchoring in a tidal river may be different, but almost never applies where I sail)

B27

Visit site
One thing I learned is that if a single point of light is quite close to eye level, it's possible to keep sailing towards it without realsing it's getting closer.

An anchor light which swiongs about can also be quite annoying if it shines into the cabin at all.

Neeves

Visit site
I do recall entering one anchorage with very few anchor light but when getting closer found that the bay had developed chicken pox, the returns of all the yachts - I'm grateful if all yachts have light of any type. :(

We anchor in tidal rivers, with bars (at the entry). The rivers are well lit and ones focus is on the 'waterline' nav marks. If the river has long straight stretches and not too many shore light then masthead lights are easy to see. Rivers with tight bends are different as you are focussed on the nav marks.

One might think that it is to the benefit of owners to ensure they meet regulations (have anchor lights that are switched on) and are sufficiently lit (illumination of deck/cabin roof) to be an aid to yachts entering an anchorage after a tiring passage. The absence of offering an aid to other yachts smacks to me of selfishness

or am I too harsh?

Jonathan

Goldie

Visit site
We hang an all round white from the bottom of the anchor ball (we all use anchor balls I trust?) fitted with a very bright white LED bulb with a light sensor so that it turns itself on and off. Easy and VERY visible.

As has been said elsewhere, many fishing boats and similar, not to mention yachts with biminis (we’re currently in the Med’) find it difficult to look upwards to any degree at exactly the time they’re concentrating on manoeuvring around anchored boats. If you just want to be legal, masthead lights meet the rules. If you want to be seen when it matters - i.e. by boats close to you - then lower down is legal and sensible.

Now, don’t start me on people’s inability to display the correct nav’ lights….

We recently got a new LED motorsailing / deck light. The deck light is very effective, and only draws about quarter of an amp. With the light reflecting from the white GRP foredeck, the boat is very visible. I therefore use this, together with the led masthead light to comply with colregs. We do sleep in the back cabin though...

ylop

Visit site
It is rare for a night to be totally dark and most boats have cabin lights on for at least part of the night.

Some seem to use that in lieu of the correct lights!

FWIW I agree with the sentiment of the OP (although I hang mine above the boom on the lazy jacks - but am planning to fit power for it further forward this winter).

I use mine when on a visitor mooring ball too - it looks to me like not everyone does.

roaringgirl

bit.ly
Gosh where to start? Coloregs say that everyone should do everything they can to avoid collision, so the anchored vessel should think carefully about where they hang the anchor light in each given situation. A vessel approaching shallow water or a known anchorage should be looking out every way they can for anchored vessels - radar, AIS, naked eye etc ... If a large fishing boat is so close to you that the cabin roof is obscuring the helm's view of your masthead, you're probably already screwed!

There's plenty of room for common sense within the coloregs - we usually have a masthead riding light and some decorative lights at deck-level in the cockpit. We also leave a cabin light on above the nav-desk which means all of the cabin windows are illuminated all night.

Bear in mind that at sea, a sailing boat may only have one visible light, at the masthead - that is deemed sufficient.

noelex

Visit site
The ideal is both a masthead light and a lower deck or in some cases a cabin light. This is what we invariably use.

One aspect that has not been mentioned is the legal aspect of lights displayed. Some foredeck lights meet the legal colregs requirements, but others do not. I think it is always worth ensuring you meet the required legislation. An easy way to do this is to always use a marine anchor light installed at the masthead. Other lights can be added to further improve visibility, and these do not need to meet any legislative requirements.