Anchor lights

B27

Visit site
That'll be good if the helmsman on the approaching boat is also 30ft up then. 😀
The bigger fishing boats are more 'up' than we are, so giving them a bit more chance not to hit us doesn't seem like a bad thing. In the limit, an extra few seconds of 'hard a starboard' is the difference between a really bad day and another tall tale at the bar.

mattonthesea

ayearatsea.co.uk
People love to get excited about this question, but TBH, it's a pretty rare anchorage where you don't see the other anchor lights and suss out the boats long before a masthead light needs 'looking up at'. If your mast is that tall you probably want a red light at the top to ward off aircraft.
I beg to differ 🤓 but we sail in, perhaps, less populated waters.

Poignard

Visit site
Colregs 30b states:

(b) A vessel of less than 50 meters in length may exhibit an all-round white light where it can best be seen instead of the lights prescribed in paragraph (a) of this Rule.

That begs the question:

'Best be seen' by whom?

I want to 'best be seen' by anyone in charge of any vessel that might collide with mine.

In a small craft anchorage that means by people whose eyes are typically 2 - 3 metres above sea level, and that is the height at which I hang my anchor lamp.

This was brought home to me many years ago when I came to anchor in pitch darkness in a bay with steep hills behind on which were numerous white lights of buildings, street lamps etc.

Unnoticed, and unnoticeable, amongst these lights was the masthead anchor lamp of a dark-hulled yacht I came uncomfortably close to running into.

Antony Collis

Visit site
A Cruise ship has a billion lights but they will still have Nav lights on.
Light your boat however you want but you must have a dedicated all round white light for anchoring.

ghostlymoron2

Visit site
I think it probably contravenes Colregs to use an anchor light when moored or an orange flashing light under any circumstances - doesn't that indicate a hovercraft.
The whole point of colregs is to be unambiguous.