Anchor lights

GHA

Visit site
I liked Tom Cunliffe's video where he restores an old oil lamp but not sure I'd be happy leaving a molotov cocktail suspended above my bunk all night.

Put some LEDs in it & it will do a far better job of being an anchor light & still look like an antique from yesteryear. Connect to your solar regulator load terminals & will turn itself on & off as well. Victron solar regs anyway, probably most mppt's.

Refueler

Visit site
Put some LEDs in it & it will do a far better job of being an anchor light & still look like an antique from yesteryear. Connect to your solar regulator load terminals & will turn itself on & off as well. Victron solar regs anyway, probably most mppt's.

Even my cheapo Solar regulator has extra provision to power lights etc.

geem

Visit site
I have my masthead anchor light and low level anchor light wired in to the Victron MPPT. Its great being able to set the switching voltage so you can have the light switch on exactly when you want it and off again, all automatically🙂

ylop

Visit site
Well never mind the lights . I'm in Portland with 7 other boats. Only myself and a Dutch man have anchor balls raised.
Are you anchored in a recognised anchorage (eg marked on a chart)? Are they away for the fairway? Is there any reason to be confused about whether they are anchored?

GHA

Visit site
Well never mind the lights . I'm in Portland with 7 other boats. Only myself and a Dutch man have anchor balls raised.
IMHO it's reassuring to see an anchor cone raised soon after a hook is down. Make's you (me anyway) think there's a good chance they give a sh&! and might well actually know what they are doing. No ball up, jump in the dinghy ashore minutes after arriving... could well be a charter boat, take care & be aware, much more so if the boat is to windward........... 🤔

(halo radar on opencpn is great for keeping an eye on things in between ytubes on the laptop down below, put a waypoint with range rings to guess where the hook is on each boat & check if they stay in roughly the same place 😎)
Kp0PeWT.jpg

sv_telemachus

Visit site
I absolutely understand the importance of nice bright navigation lights and have no desire at all to be run down and sunk. However, a couple of weeks ago we were anchored up by the saltstone in the Salcombe estuary (ria sounds too pretentious) and the masthead light of the boat behind was so bright and transfixing in the otherwise dark anchorage that it quite spoilt the evening

Etiquette question: I am planning some Iberian / Caribbean cruising and was hoping to use both the masthead anchor light plus this LED low-amp deck light.

Would this be too bright/annoying to others in the anchorage? (Turns out a PAR36 bulb is used for both deck lights and aircraft landing lights!)

1692203517714.png

geem

Visit site
Etiquette question: I am planning some Iberian / Caribbean cruising and was hoping to use both the masthead anchor light plus this LED low-amp deck light.

Would this be too bright/annoying to others in the anchorage? (Turns out a PAR36 bulb is used for both deck lights and aircraft landing lights!)

View attachment 162021
Hope you have a big battery to run a 50w bulb. My deck level anchor lights use 8w and is just as bright

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
IMHO it's reassuring to see an anchor cone raised soon after a hook is down. Make's you (me anyway) think there's a good chance they give a sh&! and might well actually know what they are doing. No ball up, jump in the dinghy ashore minutes after arriving... could well be a charter boat, take care & be aware, much more so if the boat is to windward........... 🤔

(halo radar on opencpn is great for keeping an eye on things in between ytubes on the laptop down below, put a waypoint with range rings to guess where the hook is on each boat & check if they stay in roughly the same place 😎)
Kp0PeWT.jpg
A man I spoke to in Greece, who appeared to be experienced and knowledgeable, told me that a ball in the forward part of the rig signified that the engine had broken down.

In UK we are well educated by courses and magazines. This is not always the case elsewhere.

GHA

Visit site
A man I spoke to in Greece, who appeared to be experienced and knowledgeable, told me that a ball in the forward part of the rig signified that the engine had broken down.

In UK we are well educated by courses and magazines. This is not always the case elsewhere.
The ball goes up for the other cruisers to see and for the policia maritima to hopefully show I'm at least making an effort & one more thing in your favour should something bad happen & someone wants to get money by blaming you..(that's quite a big part of it)
A bit like spending a couple euros on a non worn out courtesy flag today. Just hopefully pushing the odds a little more in your favour...
Some bloke not in the anchorage hasn't really come into it.... 😊

Gsailor

Visit site

View attachment 162021
That looks VERY bright. Will you be able to sleep?

Can’t believe these thread is so long for a common sense piece of equipment.

Gsailor

Visit site
Anyone actually had a bump in the night owing to poor illumination?

(Some people seem to have admitted poor illumination).

ylop

Visit site
so obviously a typo, you really can't figure that out all on your own?
Ball and Cone are not characters which are easily confused on a keyboard, so not a typo. I could of course work out that it was just a silly mistake. It’s up to you how you react to having your silly mistakes pointed out.

GHA

Visit site
Ball and Cone are not characters which are easily confused on a keyboard, so not a typo. I could of course work out that it was just a silly mistake. It’s up to you how you react to having your silly mistakes pointed out.
Everyone else managed to figure it out without the need to get a little confrontational dig in. If that's what you need to do to get your kicks then that's your business, not interested, there are plenty of interesting things in the universe to get involved with.

Refueler

Visit site
Did you read rest of the post ... next line he says BALL .... so obviously a silly error ... a slip .... nothing to get up about.