Alfa WiFi boosters?

boatmike

Visit site
I bit the bullet and talked to the guy from Crucial WiFi this morning. He was very honest and said that setting up the two components of the Alpha kit was "not straightforward and can be tricky if you are not very computer literate" I asked him if there was anything on the market that worked straight out of the box. He was less forthcoming on this but finally admitted that there was but it was more expensive. Then I phoned the guy from Kuma. Their kit according to him does not use any components made by Alpha and there is no connection between the two companies. His kit does indeed use a directional antenna so won't work at anchor, but I don't need that so don't care. He did say that the directional ariel needs to be pointed in the right direction but if it is can pick up signals up to 1.5 km away. More to the point he said that all you need to do is take it out of the box and plug it in and it works. You then log on to the router and get a series of signals to choose from just like using a normal PC without the booster. Yes it costs £150 against the £100 from Alpha and if you want the 3G dongle as well (which I don't ) can cost £210 so I suspect that this is the kit that the guy from Crucial was talking about when he said it could cost up to twice as much to achieve working straight out of the box. Anyway I have bitten the bullet and ordered one so will let you know how I get on with it......
BTW I looked at the Wirie website but at $650 for the basic kit it's a bit b****y expensive innit?

Last edited:

boatmike

Visit site
Well promised to tell you all how well the Kuma kit performed. In a word "Awesome!" It does indeed work straight out of the box and all you have to do is log on to the router and it works. No drivers, no setup, nothing! It is 50% more than the equivalent from Alfa but the range is incredible. My daughter lives almost a mile away from me and armed with her log on code I tentatively pointed the antenna in her direction and was amazed to find that I could log on and access the internet with ease. My computer usually picks up a weak signal from next door and my own virgin router runs out of steam at the bottom of my garden. No problem picking up my own in the garden now and there is a list of 32 sites to choose from (most secured of course so could not log on). when I point it next door...... A word of caution of course. As someone already said the Alfa is Omni directional which you would need underway or at anchor. The Kuma is directional so only any good when in harbour. Otherwise it's great!

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
Well promised to tell you all how well the Kuma kit performed. In a word "Awesome!" It does indeed work straight out of the box and all you have to do is log on to the router and it works. No drivers, no setup, nothing! It is 50% more than the equivalent from Alfa but the range is incredible. My daughter lives almost a mile away from me and armed with her log on code I tentatively pointed the antenna in her direction and was amazed to find that I could log on and access the internet with ease. My computer usually picks up a weak signal from next door and my own virgin router runs out of steam at the bottom of my garden. No problem picking up my own in the garden now and there is a list of 32 sites to choose from (most secured of course so could not log on). when I point it next door...... A word of caution of course. As someone already said the Alfa is Omni directional which you would need underway or at anchor. The Kuma is directional so only any good when in harbour. Otherwise it's great!

Glad that worked out. The process you describe is exactly what happens with an Alfa R36 and the picture in the Kuma advert looks just like an R36. The only reason I didn't want to push you towards an R36 vs. Kuma was the fact that they can sometimes cause problems. No drivers but sometimes don't seem to work immediately with the booster. Odd, as they should just plug in and work.

Wifi is line of sight so performance can vary greatly. I've had 14 nautical miles on one trip but often had problems at only a few 100 metres where there are masts, buildings etc. in the way.

I did use a directional antenna a few years ago but quickly gave up as performance wasn't much better than an Omni-directional. A highly directional antenna would have been better but not a lot of use at anchor as you point out. At least you now have a solution to your problem.

Mistroma

www.mistroma.com
Well I am using a basic Alfa 036 with a longer a longer aerial mounted remotely on deck. I am about 4 miles out from the signal source.

Re the Wirie I don't know the one you are looking at but I am pretty sure the original was an Alfa in a box.

I think that you are correct. I opened a boxed unit someone had bought in Caribbean area several years ago for something around $200-$300. It contained an Alfa booster that didn't perform any better than my equivalent Alfa unit. Not 100% it was a Wirie but I think that's what the guy called it. It was certainly a very expensive way to get a waterproof AWUS036H and larger antenna.

boatmike

Visit site
Glad that worked out. The process you describe is exactly what happens with an Alfa R36 and the picture in the Kuma advert looks just like an R36. The only reason I didn't want to push you towards an R36 vs. Kuma was the fact that they can sometimes cause problems. No drivers but sometimes don't seem to work immediately with the booster. Odd, as they should just plug in and work..

As I said earlier, when I spoke to the Crucial guy he said that the Alpha does not just plug in to the booster and work and does need setting up which can be tricky. He also suggested that every time it was set up in a new location there was a procedure to go through that could also be "tricky" if you were not computer literate. The Kuma has none of this. You just plug it in and log on to the router by typing its access code. you then get a few simple instructions and press the key which says "site survey" and everything in range comes up on the screen. You just choose the one you want and it "reboots" the router to connect to that one. From then on you just operate normally...... Simples!

Mistroma

www.mistroma.com
As I said earlier, when I spoke to the Crucial guy he said that the Alpha does not just plug in to the booster and work and does need setting up which can be tricky. He also suggested that every time it was set up in a new location there was a procedure to go through that could also be "tricky" if you were not computer literate. The Kuma has none of this. You just plug it in and log on to the router by typing its access code. you then get a few simple instructions and press the key which says "site survey" and everything in range comes up on the screen. You just choose the one you want and it "reboots" the router to connect to that one. From then on you just operate normally...... Simples!

Same with R36 (which it seems to look like). Connect to http://192.168.2.1 in browser, enter admin and default password. You select "Site Survey" option and everything in range comes up on the screen. Pick the one you want and fill in the account and password for that Access Point (assuming it is secured). The R36 remembers this and just works after that. You only need to repeat the process if changing Access Point or moving to a new location with different Access Points.

It sounds very similar to the Kuma, the link below shows some of the screens for the R36. You can check if any seem similar. Perhaps Kuma have simplified something but it really is very straightforward. The problems seems to be that either some people can't follow this process or more likely (as I have found) the R36 firmware has glitches with some of Alfa's boosters and you need to load different firmware.

http://www.wifi-highpower.co.uk/con...a-network-r36-to-redistribute-wifi-connection

Do you have any screen pics of your setup (link to online manual)? I'd be interested to see any differences. It is perfectly possible to load customised firmware to the R36, perhaps that's what Kuma did to improve the setup.

EDIT: I actually found some pictures of the Kuma router firmware screens and they appear to be identical to the Alfa R36 apart from the fact that the Alfa logo is not present.

Last edited:

boatmike

Visit site
That is very interesting! While the Kuma guy was adamant that there was no link between Alpha and Kuma even the router address is identical (192.168,2.1) so perhaps you are indeed right and it's a rebadged R36! The firmware screens are indeed identical. The difference as you seem to confirm is that Kuma have improved the interface by loading different firmware. When I talked to the crucial guy he appeared to quite honestly state that the original setup between the router and antenna/booster components was "tricky" and often needed to be re-done if you changed locations. In fact he put me off as I am not very computer literate. What I don't understand is why if its possible to load customised firmware Crucial don't do it? I have paid an additional £50 (quite happily) to ensure that it works straight out of the box. Maybe they don't know how? It's also possible that the Kuma is a copy of the R36 as the Kuma UK guy was adamant that they don't buy from Alpha. Looking at the router again it is made in Taiwan and badged "Solwise" USBWIFIRPT-3000. The KUMA.co.uk label on top is a stick on jobbie. The antenna/booster is made in China. Otherwise I know nothing!

www.bavariayacht.info
Last edited:

Mistroma

www.mistroma.com
That is very interesting! While the Kuma guy was adamant that there was no link between Alpha and Kuma even the router address is identical (192.168,2.1) so perhaps you are indeed right and it's a rebadged R36! The firmware screens are indeed identical. The difference as you seem to confirm is that Kuma have improved the interface by loading different firmware. When I talked to the crucial guy he appeared to quite honestly state that the original setup between the router and antenna/booster components was "tricky" and often needed to be re-done if you changed locations. In fact he put me off as I am not very computer literate. What I don't understand is why if its possible to load customised firmware Crucial don't do it? I have paid an additional £50 (quite happily) to ensure that it works straight out of the box. Maybe they don't know how? It's also possible that the Kuma is a copy of the R36 as the Kuma UK guy was adamant that they don't buy from Alpha. Looking at the router again it is made in Taiwan and badged "Solwise" USBWIFIRPT-3000. The KUMA.co.uk label on top is a stick on jobbie. The antenna/booster is made in China. Otherwise I know nothing!

CrucialWiFi will certainly not load non-Alfa customised software as he is a Crucial dealer. Keen IT types might use modified firmware from various Open Source projects. Other companies might replace Alfa's standard firmware but not much to persuade a dealer to alter it.

The firmware is likely to have 3 parts:
1) The "skin" (i.e. the backdrop of the screens that you see)
I suspect that Kuma modified this to remove references to Alfa as that would be a simple operation.

2) The interface (the bit you interact with)
I doubt that Kuma have actually modified the interface part to make it simpler. If the screens are identical then the way it is setup will also probably be identical.

3) Driver for the USB "booster"
Pretty much guaranteed that this will have been changed

Only the last part will have any impact in making the system more useable. It's the part that seems to cause problems with Alfa kit, mainly because they sell R36s with different firmware for different USB "boosters". Simpler if you only sell one system and know that the R36 will work with the USB "booster" being sold.

CrucialWiFi always seems to give good support and I imagine he isn't all that keen to sell an R36 if the customer emphasises that they know nothing about WiFi. I have personally setup kit for people who were unable to follow the instructions you have followed. Even plugging the 2 parts together and then using a browser was beyond their capabilities (until they were walked through it step by step).

It becomes more complex if the user has an actual problem and I imagine that CrucialWifi knows from experience how much time he'll spend supporting some sales. So it wouldn't surprise me if he plays it a bit safe as he does try to provide decent support.

A couple of questions about the Kuma system:
1) Does it come with a default account/password (e.g. admin/password) or have they modified each unit sold to use an individual password (very unlikely)?
2) Does it come with an Open Wifi Access Point (i.e. You simply connect your phone/tablet to the router without any security)?

My guess is that it comes with the same defaults as an Alfa R36. This would mean that anyone nearby could connect to your R36 and use any Access Point you have already setup without requiring a password. The R36 remembers the security details for Access Points once you have set them up. If you can connect to the R36 then you can use that Access Point. The default account and password are well known and that allows people to alter your R36 settings. I locked a friend out of his to demonstrate that it was a good idea to alter the default settings.

You might need help setting some of this up and it is possible to lock out your access to the R36 WiFi. However, if you don't touch anything and leave it open and someone does lock you out then a factory reset (button underneath) will put things back in order. Same thing applies if you alter anything and it doesn't work.

I've tried to avoid technical language but it isn't entirely possible to explain things without some technical stuff (though I tried to use less technical alternatives where possible).

boatmike

Visit site
Trying to answer your questions if I understand them correctly.
When I said I was not computer literate I meant in a technical sense. I am as capable as anyone of doing what I am told if the instructions are clear.
1. Router has User Name =admin Password =admin
2. It comes with an open access point but it is very easy (and recommended with clear instructions on how to do it) to set up a password which prevents others nearby using it. This of course is independent of any security on the site accessed. For clarity this is what the instructions say:
If you wish to add a password to your 11N 3G USB router connection (recommended) you can do so on the screen below. Select "Security Mode" then WPA2-PSK (this is most secure) select the "AES" button on the WPA section and enter a password of your choosing between 8 and 63 characters. The device will reboot when you click "done" and don't forget if you have set up a password at the end, you will need to connect your device to the router when it has started again. A full reboot can take a couple of minutes.
3. Looking at the underside of the router there is a little red recessed button which I guess is for reset if everything goes tits up or someone else were to corrupt it as you suggest.
Does this answer your questions?

Mistroma

www.mistroma.com
Trying to answer your questions if I understand them correctly.
When I said I was not computer literate I meant in a technical sense. I am as capable as anyone of doing what I am told if the instructions are clear.
1. Router has User Name =admin Password =admin
2. It comes with an open access point but it is very easy (and recommended with clear instructions on how to do it) to set up a password which prevents others nearby using it. This of course is independent of any security on the site accessed. For clarity this is what the instructions say:
If you wish to add a password to your 11N 3G USB router connection (recommended) you can do so on the screen below. Select "Security Mode" then WPA2-PSK (this is most secure) select the "AES" button on the WPA section and enter a password of your choosing between 8 and 63 characters. The device will reboot when you click "done" and don't forget if you have set up a password at the end, you will need to connect your device to the router when it has started again. A full reboot can take a couple of minutes.
3. Looking at the underside of the router there is a little red recessed button which I guess is for reset if everything goes tits up or someone else were to corrupt it as you suggest.
Does this answer your questions?

Thanks for that, it does sound exactly the same as a standard unmodified Alfa R36 apart from the lack of Alfa logos and perhaps different drivers (assuming the Kuma booster has a different chip-set).

It sounds as if you would not have had any problems at all setting up the Alfa kit. I've always considered the R36 easy to use but have run into many people who struggle to follow simple instructions. I have also read reviews by people who think it isn't very consumer friendly and also had to install new firmware on my own kit to work around a problem. So I tend not to push the R36 too strongly if someone indicates that they aren't too conversant with IT. At least you have a piece of kit that works and meets your requirements.

Good to know that the Kuma router is an R36. If my R36 ever died and I was stuck for a replacement at least I'd be able to try Kuma kit and just install the Alfa firmware to match my USB boosters.

Last edited:

RobbieW

Visit site
It seems to me, reading all this, that what Kuma do is take rebadged Alfa kit from Solwise, make sure the firmware is compatible between the components, charge a premium for that and ship it out - simples. Crucial could easily do that too but seem not too, curious. Though we cant see the antenna/booster bit in the Kuma pictures I'd give a pound to a penny that, again, its a rebadged Alfa booster, either a tube or an AWUS, connected to the back of that directional antenna.

Edit: It'll be one of the Alfa UBDo family of integrated antenna/boosters, having looked at the list of firmwares available for the R36

Last edited: