Adding an electric start to a Stuart Turner engine

Fergal

Visit site
I am finding hand cranking my 11hp Stuart Turner diesel engine a bit tiresome. Has anyone any views/recommendations on addding an electric start to it ?

mikefleetwood

Visit site
I would have thought that unless the flywheel has a suitable gear cut into it for the starter then this will be a non-starter (sorry-not!).

Others may know better, but I would think that electric starting has to be designed-in from manufacture. Of course, it may be a factory option for your engine - I don't know.

tillergirl

Visit site
The answer is a Dynastart - a generator/starter combination. It fitted to a bracket on top of the engine and worked via a belt round the flywheel. I'm sure that with some hunting you will find some brackets but Dynastarts may be achieving Hen's teeth status. I do have an old photo I can scan and email you if you pm me with an email address

Topcat47

Visit site
Dynastarts are "as rare as hen's teeth" for a good reason. They are diabolically unreliable and deeply rotten at both jobs they purport to do....as starters and as generators.

I re-built an ST Diesel in the early eighties and it had a dynastart fitted, but we added an alternator, having isolated the "generator" from the batteries. The whole thing soldiered on for another four years, getting increasingly unreliable.

Gunfleet

Visit site
I agree - I once had a boat with one. But I seem to remember it was very 'Lucas starter' shaped... in other words, I wonder if a Lucas starter of the period wouldn't fit where a dynastart goes. Then all this chap needs is a small alternator (please excuse 'this chap', can't read the thread while I'm typing).

Sorry Fergal, got your name now. Welcome etc!