New owner of a freeman 23ft

rich41

Visit site
Hi all

Just joined the forum as I'm now the very proud owner of my first boat, she's a 23ft freeman I believe from 1969 and currently moored on the river wey.

I've only had her for a couple of weeks and now ready to start getting to work on here as she has a variety of problems I need to solve which I'm sure will be half the fun of owning her.

The first issue I need to get to work on is her engine, I believe its a old Ford anglia 105e engine, I had a mechanic come out yesterday and he was trying to turn her over but it looks like water was coming out from the engine bay area each time he was turning the key, she was trying to start which was a plus point she just sounded like the petrol wasn't getting in and catching.

What would the best solution for this be? Would I be better buying a reconditioned engine an just have that fitted as the mechanic said its a day's work to get the engine out then obviously then she would need work done etc so would i save myself money just buying a reconditioned engine instead of bothering trying to fix that problem? Or not even doing that and just get an outboard instead?

I'm no mechanic but the smaller jobs on the boat I really want to do myself so this weekend I'm down there an plan on sanding and priming the bedroom and working my way back from that room to do all the interior myself,in the galley I have a old gas oven in there that has pipes from the back of it leading out to under the double sofa in the cockpit area, am I OK Cutting those myself to remove them? Obviously first checking to make sure there is no gas on.

The pictures are from the first weekend down there and thankfully now she's in abit more order but she's a pretty much empty shell so I'd love to hear any information about fitting the wet room properly an where my water tanks are etc an any general info really that anyone may think could be helpful

I've attached some pictures so if anyone has any helpful information etc I'd be very grateful an ill be all ears.

Thanks in advance everyone.

Rich

Attachments

• 20240504_141701.jpg
    20240504_141701.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 25
  • 20240504_141703.jpg
    20240504_141703.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 23
  • 20240504_141826.jpg
    20240504_141826.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 22
  • 20240504_141936.jpg
    20240504_141936.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 30
  • Screenshot_20240526_161510_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240526_161510_Gallery.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 29
Last edited:

rich41

Visit site
Some more pics

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240526_161626_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240526_161626_Gallery.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 28
  • Screenshot_20240526_161611_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240526_161611_Gallery.jpg
    838.5 KB · Views: 25

rich41

Visit site
You won't burst my bubble I don't have a clue what it is other than what I've been told and researched so I'm eager to learn.

Anything you can tell me I'll greatly appreciate.

harvey38

Visit site
Sorry, I don't know what it it, have you found a manufacturers plate anywhere?

Freemans certainly had 105e engines fitted as yours has so that would date yours around late 60's, early 70's build, what instrument panel is fitted?

PCUK

Visit site
The engine is a highly reliable and simple lump. It shouldn't need taking out to repair if it is only water leaks from somewhere. Is your mechanic familiar with boat engines, if not he may not understand the cooling system.
Finally, as said it isn't a Freeman, but if you love it who cares!

rich41

Visit site
Ah ha I've found some paperwork that says the boat manufacturer is Orme & sons Leicester.

Would this be an Ormelite then? If so I can't find a single ormelite that even looks similar.

Any help in identifying my boat is greatly appreciated so again thanks guys.

rich41

Visit site
The engine is a highly reliable and simple lump. It shouldn't need taking out to repair if it is only water leaks from somewhere. Is your mechanic familiar with boat engines, if not he may not understand the cooling system.
Finally, as said it isn't a Freeman, but if you love it who cares!
Exactly, I don't mind what boat she is, she just needs alittle tlc and will be great, hopefully in the next couple of weeks she will be running and I can't wait.

I'm more interested in knowing just so I can source the correct parts for her etc.

V1701

Visit site
If you don't find out from us lot it might be worth trying Canal World forum, some on there are quite knowledgeable on plastic river/canal boats as well as steel NBs...

There isn't really such a thing as sourcing parts for particular makes/models of boats like there is with cars...

rich41

Visit site
Sorry, I don't know what it it, have you found a manufacturers plate anywhere?

Freemans certainly had 105e engines fitted as yours has so that would date yours around late 60's, early 70's build, what instrument panel is fitted?

I was told she was built in 1969 but the previous owner thought she maybe a freeman but wasn't sure.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240531_111320_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240531_111320_Gallery.jpg
    965.4 KB · Views: 8

rich41

Visit site
If you don't find out from us lot it might be worth trying Canal World forum, some on there are quite knowledgeable on plastic river/canal boats as well as steel NBs...

There isn't really such a thing as sourcing parts for particular makes/models of boats like there is with cars...
Well sourcing the correct parts as in not ordering freeman's bits etc if it's not a freeman lol, I'm learning on the job here haha, I'm eager to learn so anything any of you guys can tell me will always be appreciated.

V1701

Visit site
Well sourcing the correct parts as in not ordering freeman's bits etc if it's not a freeman lol, I'm learning on the job here haha, I'm eager to learn so anything any of you guys can tell me will always be appreciated.

That's what I mean, there aren't really such things as Freeman's bits there are only really generic boaty bits & pieces. Different with the engine obvs...

rich41

Visit site
Got ya, thanks for that, I guess I'll be taking lots of measurements on the interior then so I can find the generic bits and bobs I want.

Is orme & sons ormelite then? I have googled ormelite boats but can't find anything similar to mine and even less comes up when I Google orme & sons boats.

rich41

Visit site
After lots of digging I've finally found out what she is...

I spoke to a gentleman today who built that boat in the 60s in Leicester and its a very rare omerlite 23ft boat ( 1 of only a handful made this size )

So it's settled she's a Omerlite 23ft river cruiser.

veshengro

Visit site
Just some info that may or may not be helpful Rich. My Nicholson 32 ( sailing yacht) had a Ford Watermota engine (1977) I was stuck in Spain with an engine problem and needed to track down spare parts. This is not an advert, but I found a Boatyard on the Thames called Sheridan Marine to be extremely helpful. Considering all my enquiries were by email the staff were great. As they deal with many types of river craft and my engine was also fitted in many Canal Boats I sought their help. No luck for me, and they are just one of many river/canal Boatyards that may help with any enquiries about parts or fittings for your boat. (y)