Actually firing a para rocket?

SC35

Visit site
Having never fired one of these … do you keep the red cap on?

Instructions don’t show a step to remove that before the bang / flash, but the image in the second diagram suggests it has been removed.

I would really like to practice fire one, but I’m not seeing any legal way to do that.

IMG_5127.jpeg

Last edited:

SC35

Visit site
The bit in #1 where it says, “unscrew red cap” may contain a clue.🕵️

That is referring to the screw cap at the other end.

I hope you are wearing reinforced boots when you try firing yours :ROFLMAO: 😂

Last edited:

benjenbav

Visit site
That is referring to the screw cap at the other end.
I hope you are wearing reinforced boots when you try firing yours :ROFLMAO: 😂
Sorry to cause offence. Only trying to make a light-hearted comment. In fairness your pic doesn’t show the other end.

It would horrify me to fire one of those things. Sporting chance of adding second-degree burns to drowning.

SC35

Visit site
Okay, to make things clearer.

I can un-screw the cap on the right hand side, which reveals a toggle string that I can pull.

But what about that red cap on the left hand side?

I do think that practicing with these things would help if I did need to use them in anger, heaven forbid.

IMG_5130.jpeg

Plum

Visit site
Okay, to make things clearer.

I can un-screw the cap on the right hand side, which reveals a toggle string that I can pull.

But what about that red cap on the left hand side?

I do think that practicing with these things would help if I did need to use them in anger, heaven forbid.

View attachment 175198
No, you do not remove the red cap on the left end and should you ever need to fire one, point at a slight angle (10 to 15 degrees) to the vertical AWAY from the wind. I know it may not sound right, but definitely downwind/AWAY from the wind, not into the wind.

veshengro

Visit site
Having fired scores of Parachute Illumination flares for terrain or firing range illumination, one piece of advice I feel that is missing from those instructions in the photo is..Having raised the flare, LOOK/TURN your head away before you pull the trigger cord. 👍

SC35

Visit site
No, you do not remove the red cap on the left end and should you ever need to fire one, point at a slight angle (10 to 15 degrees) to the vertical AWAY from the wind. I know it may not sound right, but definitely downwind/AWAY from the wind, not into the wind.

Thank you for the clarification.

Last edited:

jointventureII

Visit site
We saw a demonstration - I can't remember which cap was unscrewed but the flight of the rocket causes it to swing back into the wind significantly once it nears the top of it's flight, what @Plum says is absolutely correct.

Farmer Piles

Visit site
I have seen rocket flares set-off - very impressive. Years ago I set-off a hand held flare at the end of my garden as it was out of date and I thought it would be a good exercise. Our garden is well hidden so no chance of causing a false alarm.
It was terrifying. Firstly you are supposed to hit the base on the butt of your hand to ignite it. I had to hit it really hard twice on a big rock before it went off. Then the heat and the light!!! It made arc welding seem like lighting a match. I wouldn't have wanted it too close to a liferaft.

Alicatt

Visit site
Our local coast guard used to collect out if date flares and use them on a practice / demonstration night, public were never allowed close enough to see details though.
They would fire a rocket from the cliff top to a rock pinnacle and then set up a breeches bouy and rescue the poor souls that were on the pinnacle, you could clime the pinnacle from ground level below the cliff so not at all a hardship.
Many, many flares of all types would be set off that evening, it was done once a year by Wick Coast Guard, I could watch it from my lounge window.

Portofino

Visit site
Fired pyrotechnics in the military.
Pretty self explanatory as per instructions.Agree with plumb you don’t need to remove the LHS weatherproofing cap .
You naturally turn your head away , kinda look down twisting your neck a 1/4 .Yours eyes will blink with the whoosh .

Just hold at arms L and firmly pull the toggle ( after unscrewing the RHS cap ) .

There’s nothing to be afraid here thousands used by the military inc other pyros .
Yes we get training but imho those instructions are basic and easy to follow for “civvies “.

It’s getting a bit woke these day with millennials ( not this thread ) folks fearing pyros opting for newfangled laser flares and the like .
In certain waters eg Fr , if you base your boat there permanently irrespective of its flag there’s a defined pyro pack you have to carry and keep in date .They even fine you if they find any out of date or threaten to ?

At night in a howler while waiting rescue it’s a pyro ( of one shape or form ) that the rescue services are looking out for .
They might save your life .They are your friends .

Ok you may have sent a msg via a mob or indeed triggered a ERIPB , but not everyone will know that because those sigs are invisible. Your are assuming the rescue services have a modicum of coordination? There WHOLE kits fully functional.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
What, when the boat is sinking or on fire ?
I’d prefer to know in advance.
Well if you will wait that long... ;) I prefer to 'Be Prepared', as the Scouts say.

I've just had a long dialog with Ocean Signal as their PLB3 instructions are rubbish. They were either written by a committee or by somebody who is so close to the product could not stand back and think, "What do I need to say to somebody who has never used this and might be dead in an hour?"

Perhaps you might find a RYA Sea Survival Course useful as the use and abuse of pyrotechnics is covered in detail.

My use of pyrotechnics was as part of a Mountain Rescue Team, I just wish people were taught how to use them using white ones. Pyrotechnics are something that most people don't understand how to use them correctly.

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
What, when the boat is sinking or on fire ?
I’d prefer to know in advance.

Reply from Plum is good enough for me.
If it's on fire you'll be seen from miles away without any flares.

What circumstance do you foresee setting off a parachute instead of a smoke?

Having learned from a friend that he's seen someone killed by a parachute flare I don't want anything to do with them.