90/180 days

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
My wife and I did return to the UK about 8 weeks later and our passports were not stamped when leaving France nor on arriving back in the UK.

As far as our passports show, we are still in France!

BUT whilst in France, we received our Cartes de Sejour and presented them at Border Control. I assume that, since we are now have the right to reside in France, we can come and go as we please.

You seem to have had an easy ride with an understanding prefecture to accept your boat as place of residence (y)

Poignard

Visit site
You seem to have had an easy ride with an understanding prefecture to accept your boat as place of residence (y)
I can see no reason why it shouldn't. There is, as far as I know, no objection to a Frenchman living on a boat, or in a caravan, or in a tent, if he wants to. Not to allow me to do the same would be discriminatory.

I am hoping that French social services will soon learn of the conditions of extreme deprivation and squalor my wife my wife and I are living under in an old 28-foot boat, and take immediate steps to re-house us in a nice apartment in Vannes ;)

Last edited:

syvictoria

Visit site
Is it possible to ask a question to them who did visit the EU this year and return back to the UK or the other way around?

What I wish to know is where was your passport stamp ?
1 leaving the UK
2 arriving back in the UK
3 Arriving in the EU
4 leaving the EU
5 all four .

This should only differ depending upon the specific departure points. It's not for UK border control to stamp you in and out of Schengen, but sometimes the foreign (juxtaposed) border control is sited in the UK (e.g.: French border control at Dover).

Juxtaposed controls - Wikipedia

For us, 1 at Dover and 4 at Hoek van Holland.

Last edited:

sailaboutvic

Visit site
This should only differ depending upon the specific departure points. It's not for UK border control to stamp you in and out of Schengen, but sometimes the foreign (juxtaposed) border control is sited in the UK (e.g.: French border control at Dover).

Juxtaposed controls - Wikipedia

For us, 1 at Dover and 4 at Hoek van Holland.
In the UK but it was French boarder control .
Cool
In a week we be getting on a plane , Holland Denmark, UK Holland before returning to Sicily , just trying to sus out who doing what,
Thanks for the link but links mean nothing to me , what's happening on the ground is what I want to know .

billskip

Visit site
[QUOTE="sailaboutvic,
Thanks for the link but links mean nothing to me , what's happening on the ground is what I want to know .
[/QUOTE]
This is really my concern, what is happening on the ground may well differ from the law, one never knows if/when the law will be enforced.

Poignard

Visit site
[QUOTE="sailaboutvic,
This is really my concern, what is happening on the ground may well differ from the law, one never knows if/when the law will be enforced.
[/QUOTE]

'
The problem is that if an official departs from the law governing his conduct it does not establish a precedent that binds his fellow officials.

You can't rely on it.

Just because he nods you through this time does not mean the next man will.

And saying to an official that he should not enforce the law because a colleague did not, isn't likely to get you what you want.

The consequences of breaching immigration laws can be serious.

Imagine, for example, your boat being in a foreign port and you not being allowed to get to her.

Last edited:

Caladh

Visit site
In that case, and to save the rest of us from having to duplicate your good work by trawling through the massive amount of information contained in the gov.uk website, could you please provide a link to the specific source of your information?
Apparently he can't - possibly because it isn't there or his interpretation of the web site differs from what it actually means ?[/QUOTE]

goeasy123

Visit site
W.r.t, why the UK does not have 180/360 in the UK: Under EU law, in order to offer reciprocity individual EU states must explicitly agree arrangements with 3rd countries, such as the UK. I.e. for example, Spain and the UK need to negotiate and agree arrangements.
Treasury suggested to the UK Government not to negotiate as they wanted to 'encourage' UK citizens not to spend money in the EU.
Treasury's argument is that this policy is protecting the interests of British citizens as a whole. While it may appear to act against the interests of some UK citizens, that want to spend more time in the EU, it is clearly protecting the economic interests of the wider UK population.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
W.r.t, why the UK does not have 180/360 in the UK: Under EU law, in order to offer reciprocity individual EU states must explicitly agree arrangements with 3rd countries, such as the UK. I.e. for example, Spain and the UK need to negotiate and agree arrangements.
Treasury suggested to the UK Government not to negotiate as they wanted to 'encourage' UK citizens not to spend money in the EU.
Treasury's argument is that this policy is protecting the interests of British citizens as a whole. While it may appear to act against the interests of some UK citizens, that want to spend more time in the EU, it is clearly protecting the economic interests of the wider UK population.
I don't know if what you wrote is true or not,
but it's always been my thinking why the UK took its decision on the 90/180

sailaboutvic

Visit site
[QUOTE="sailaboutvic,
[/QUOTE]
I have to say as a full time cruiser at times I don't recognize stuff written here and what I find the times I come across officials .
See what happen when I pass through passport control later in the month.

billskip

Visit site
Surely the answer is simple. Stay within the law, and then you won't have to worry about enforcement.
I am within the law, and I dont have a problem with that,my concern here is (as I read it) that the advise being given by some suggests because passports are not being stamped, its being interpreted as the norm.

Bilge Rat

Visit site
Is it possible to ask a question to them who did visit the EU this year and return back to the UK or the other way around?

1 leaving the UK
3 Arriving in the EU
4 leaving the EU
5 all four .
3 (Arriving by boat in Brest, France)
4 (Departing Lisbon airport)

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site

1 leaving the UK
3 Arriving in the EU
4 leaving the EU
5 all four .

We left Portugal to UK in April, having been there since 2020, returned in July, left again to UK last week. All trips through Lisbon airport, no stamps either way and both stays exceeded 90 days but, passport scan may have shown up residence status.

ean_p

Visit site
We left Portugal to UK in April, having been there since 2020, returned in July, left again to UK last week. All trips through Lisbon airport, no stamps either way and both stays exceeded 90 days but, passport scan may have shown up residence status.
Drilling into this would anyone know if passports are in someway 'sequencial'. That is to say if residence is 'obtained' on one passport then when that expires would a data scan of your next passport relate to the first one other than your name and birthdate.........?

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Drilling into this would anyone know if passports are in someway 'sequencial'. That is to say if residence is 'obtained' on one passport then when that expires would a data scan of your next passport relate to the first one other than your name and birthdate.........?

Residence not entered on passport, it's either A4 paper, card or plastic biometric. When a new passport is scanned, maybe name + date of birth will tie up with old or, could be there's something in the code to tie it to previous issues.

Although I have residence and use UK passport, my wife doesn't have residence under her UK passport name which is different to her citizen card in maiden name, which can no longer be used for travel. If either of us is accused of overstaying, it will likely be her :D