90/180 days

sailaboutvic

Visit site
It is not the leaving which is the problem. They probably could fine you a relatively small amount, but on the whole they probably can't be bothered with the paperwork.

The problem is arriving the next time. In Spain or elsewhere in Schengen. The computer may well say no, and it is very easy for the passport control officer to stamp a refusal into your passport and not let you in.
I know on Monday how my mate gets on

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Yes I posted some thing about her some time back , I think As far as Spain goes it's depending on what part of Spain as some are much more stricter then other ,
Valencia are up in arms wanting Spain to give Brits 180 days .
Italy on the other hand are very laid back , an Ozzie last year was just over his 90 days and we went with his to check out although he wasn't really to leave because of weather , they back dated his exit and basically told him to keep his head down till he was ready to leave ,
He stayed another month , maybe it was my partner translation on his behalf that did the job :) .

Last edited:

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Mate return back to Sicily yesterday no issues even tho he over stayed last time .
We left this morning for Amsterdam , possport where checked by airline staff Nothing said , Amsterdam no passport control .
Here for 10 days before our next journal to Denmark , see how that goes .

Kelpie

Visit site
Mate return back to Sicily yesterday no issues even tho he over stayed last time .
We left this morning for Amsterdam , possport where checked by airline staff Nothing said , Amsterdam no passport control .
Useful info, thank you. Keep us posted.
I'm hearing that here in Portugal there is some sort of amnesty up to the end of the year regarding the 90 days. But I've not seen anything official about it.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Useful info, thank you. Keep us posted.
I'm hearing that here in Portugal there is some sort of amnesty up to the end of the year regarding the 90 days. But I've not seen anything official about it.
Will do ,
not sure if there any passport control when we leave Holland for Denmark,
I think the interesting bit going to be after we return to the UK and then leave again for Holland, if when we arrive we be directed a different way as we be entering the EU from a non EU country.

westernman

www.devalk.nl
Do not bet on the fact that no passport control does not mean they do not know who arrived on what flight. There is a lot of information being shared behind your back.

I had a talk with the french equivalent of the MI6 a while back. They knew exactly where I had been (visits to China, Russia and Israel). And that was not because of French passport stamps.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Do not bet on the fact that no passport control does not mean they do not know who arrived on what flight. There is a lot of information being shared behind your back.

I had a talk with the french equivalent of the MI6 a while back. They knew exactly where I had been (visits to China, Russia and Israel). And that was not because of French passport stamps.

Most know our mobile phone to them who wish to track where we are is more then enough .
After many posting I have wrote over the last two year regarding the new rules for us Brits and the response to them from some here , I strongly suggest people should just follow the rules, it will save them loads of stress .
And leave it to the less parniod and risk takes of them amount us to do as we wish .
my latest posting of my experience that travelling through three European countries plus the UK then the return journey the same way except starting from the UK is only for them who are interested how each country are at this time dealing with passport control and what problems I may come across as someone who have not left the EU since Dec 2019 has a British passport holder.
I guess at some point some question are going to be asked,
My get out of jail card I'm banking on is my Dutch partner although I have no prove she my partner.
Bloody hell I knew I should had kept that prono flim we made :)
What going to happen next year or in years to come is miles away.

Last edited:

AndersG

Visit site
Will do ,
not sure if there any passport control when we leave Holland for Denmark,
I think the interesting bit going to be after we return to the UK and then leave again for Holland, if when we arrive we be directed a different way as we be entering the EU from a non EU country.
Still within Schengen so no passport control. The airline will look at your passport but they don't care how long you have stayed.

westernman

www.devalk.nl
Still within Schengen so no passport control. The airline will look at your passport but they don't care how long you have stayed.
When leaving.

When returning to the Schengen zone they will look at your passport and they will care if you have overstayed. If there is a risk that you will be refused entry on arrival, the airlines won't take you as they get a significant fine for each passenger who is refused entry. (Transport of illegal immigrants etc). If you do get sent back, you are very likely to end up on that airline's no fly list. Forever.

Stamps in passports are not the only data for entry/exit from the Schengen zone.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
When leaving.

When returning to the Schengen zone they will look at your passport and they will care if you have overstayed. If there is a risk that you will be refused entry on arrival, the airlines won't take you as they get a significant fine for each passenger who is refused entry. (Transport of illegal immigrants etc). If you do get sent back, you are very likely to end up on that airline's no fly list. Forever.

Stamps in passports are not the only data for entry/exit from the Schengen zone.
If they as you say look in your passport and there no stamp as in my case , what are they looking at?
There no stamp so nothing to see .
In my case last stamp was 2019 May Tunisia ,
So unless someone stamp my passport before I reached the UK there be nothing in it when I return .
But hey only time will tell .
But I won't be stressing over it till it happen and then I be looking at ways around the problem that if it's a problem at all.
Life much too short .

westernman

www.devalk.nl
If they as you say look in your passport and there no stamp as in my case , what are they looking at?
So unless someone stamp my passport before I reached the UK there be nothing in it when I return .
But I won't be stressing over it till it happen and then I be looking at ways around the problem that if it's a problem at all.
Life much too short .
They scan your passport which then brings up the database of all your movements over the last few months/years.
I am not sure exactly how this database is managed, but they certainly have flight bookings and flight information in it as well as all border entries and exits.
So they will know when you are planning on leaving without asking you.

Physical stamps are old school and are not really that significant now all borders have scanners.

syvictoria

Visit site
Physical stamps are old school and are not really that significant now all borders have scanners.

I'm not sure that I would want to rely on this pre ETIAS. The situation that's arisen in the news article I linked to in post #342 shouldn't have happened if scanning was reliable. I would personally still rather see a physical stamp, so as to know myself that proof of my check in/out dates existed. But then I think others in this thread would call me risk averse in this particular instance - being able to visit Schengen means a lot huge amount to me.

Last edited:

syvictoria

Visit site
My get out of jail card I'm banking on is my Dutch partner although I have no prove she my partner.

Regretfully, I'm not sure that the laws in any EU state respect the idea of 'commonlaw' partner, do they? Certainly not in the context of FoM anyway AFAIA. It's either married/civil partnered (but perhaps that's what's intended above) or nothing. Length of relationship and/or living arrangements count for nothing legally.

dunedin

Visit site
Life much too short .
Just make sure you do keep track of your exact 90/180 position in case your luck runs out. Don’t want to be banned from Schengen and unable to return to your boat

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Regretfully, I'm not sure that the laws in any EU state respect the idea of 'commonlaw' partner, do they? Certainly not in the context of FoM anyway AFAIA. It's either married/civil partnered (but perhaps that's what's intended above) or nothing. Length of relationship and/or living arrangements count for nothing legally.
To be honest I also have no idea , I had come across an US cruiser some years back in Greece who was out of time and because his partner was German he was given extension but that not the same as being able to stay indefinitely because of her circumstances as long as she accompanying him.

As long as my passport isn't stamped I'm not at the less worried .
When it is stamp then I will need to reconsider the next stage .

A friend and fellow brit left sicily in Oct being an 2 month over stay for his 90 days , when he left he just scan out,
When he returned on Monday this time his passport was scan and stamped by an official, nothing was said about his overstay so I'm guessing the scan didn't show anything .

sailaboutvic

Visit site
They scan your passport which then brings up the database of all your movements over the last few months/years.
I am not sure exactly how this database is managed, but they certainly have flight bookings and flight information in it as well as all border entries and exits.
So they will know when you are planning on leaving without asking you.

I understand what your saying , but so far and I say so far cos who know what will happen on my next flight to Denmark my passport as only been visal check against my boarding card,
So other then some record on the airline booking there nothing to say I left Italy.
There also nothing to say when I entered the EU .

Now what's the chance that custom or board police are going to go throught hundreds of thousand of airline booking to see if anyone may had over stayed .
Not even sure it could be done,
if they was investigating a particular person I guess name DOB and passport number it probably wouldn't be too difficult.
But to check ever 3rd world citizen in case they over stayed some time back , I don't think so.
As I said in my other posting , best people stick to the rules , much less stress.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Just to add them in central Med its not difficult to stay all year round on your boat and still stay within the rules.
Just mean a bit of planning and moving around .
I not come across any brit liveaboard who given up their live style because of Brexit and the once that have is for other reason,
brexit just given them the push they needed.

st599

Visit site
I understand what your saying , but so far and I say so far cos who know what will happen on my next flight to Denmark my passport as only been visal check against my boarding card,
So other then some record on the airline booking there nothing to say I left Italy.
There also nothing to say when I entered the EU .

That may be the case now, but next year the EU EES system is due to come online where entry and exit is automated.