90/180 day shuffle

srm

Visit site
I have just remembered, many years before brexit became a political campaign I was very tempted by a boat in Turkiye. It was just what I was looking for at the time. However, once I looked at the logistics (time, passage, and costs) of sailing the boat home to Orkney it became a none starter.

pmagowan

sites.google.com
It's September or thereabouts and you have a new boat in Norway! You are a self proclaimed novice who, forgive me, shows it. Sailing to Turkiye would be madness and would entail significant risk to you and the boat. Can certainly be done but, once again, I wouldn't start from here. You want a boat well known to you, you want significant experience (enough that you are not trying to elongate your boom for example) and you want the best time of year to set off with a competent crew. You also want all the paperwork in order.
If I were you I would sail about in Norway for a bit, enjoy the boat, sell it and buy a boat in Turkiye. Everything you have done so far sounds completely bonkers and with no regards to planing. If you carry on with that trend you will be sunk literally and metaphorically.

st599

Visit site
The NLV is essentially just a long stay visa from what I can see on the Spanish government website.
Only if you can prove you're no longer employed and have a large enough income. It's not applicable for general tourism.

lustyd

Visit site
Only if you can prove you're no longer employed and have a large enough income. It's not applicable for general tourism.
If you're boating for months at a time I think it's safe to say you're not employed and do have sufficient funds. If you're working get a work visa or digital nomad where available and pay your taxes. Obviously there are terms to the visa, but the visa does exist and the same is true of Italy according to the CA site. I didn't bother to look at the Italian government website to check but can only assume it's correct.

srm

Visit site
Many thanks! With the current condition of the North Sea, I'm afraid to take it to the UK, TBH. Novice sailors here.

Just out of curiosity used Google Earth for a rough estimate of your likely passage distance, via English Channel and Gibraltar. An absolute minimum distance with no stops or diversions of just over 3500 nautical miles. 4000 nm is probably a more realistic estimate allowing for diversions to go in and out of harbours etc. The trip is doable, but is not something to be undertaken lightly.

You need a significant level of experience and seamanship for such an undertaking. I would echo @pmagowan and suggest learning to sail and get to know the boat in Baltic waters before considering venturing out into the Atlantic. By then you will have a better idea of how you want to sail and the sort of boat you need.

Hermit

Visit site
There is another option, as detailed by Tristan Jones in his (totally truthful ;) ) account of the voyage. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Improbable-Voyage-Tristan-Jones/dp/1574090623b

The Improbable Voyage is the astonishing account of Tristan Jones' 2,307 mile voyage across Europe in Outward Leg. Continuing his round-the-world journey, Tristan traveled from the North Sea to the Black Sea via the rivers Rhine and Danube. Tristan welcomed each difficulty as a challenge to be met and overcome. Battling ice and cold, life-threatening rapids and narrow defiles, German bureaucrats and Romanian frontier police, Tristan made his way through eight countries and emerged triumphant, if battered, bruised and penniless, at the Black Sea. Tristan gives us a vivid glimpse of the quality of life along Europe's oldest water routes and behind the Iron Curtain.

Of course, geopolitics have changed a bit (some better, some worse) since then but, sounds like the OP is up for a challenge.

1724943377886.png

Last edited:

srm

Visit site
There is another option, as detailed by Tristan Jones in his (totally truthful ;) ) account of the voyage. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Improbable-Voyage-Tristan-Jones/dp/1574090623b

The Improbable Voyage is the astonishing account of Tristan Jones' 2,307 mile voyage across Europe in Outward Leg. Continuing his round-the-world journey, Tristan traveled from the North Sea to the Black Sea via the rivers Rhine and Danube. Tristan welcomed each difficulty as a challenge to be met and overcome. Battling ice and cold, life-threatening rapids and narrow defiles, German bureaucrats and Romanian frontier police, Tristan made his way through eight countries and emerged triumphant, if battered, bruised and penniless, at the Black Sea. Tristan gives us a vivid glimpse of the quality of life along Europe's oldest water routes and behind the Iron Curtain.

Of course, geopolitics have changed a bit (some better, some worse) since then but, sounds like the OP is up for a challenge.
Quite appropriate, follow the route of the Vikings. In Constantinople the "Rus" were literally "those who row" having come down the river.
However, a lot of planning needed and may be constrained by boats draft/water depth that has been diminishing in the summers and engine power for managing the rivers. To say nothing of visa requirements and Schengen.

Beneteau381

Visit site
It was mainly the quality of the boats and the selling price. I had heard that Norwegian/Swedish boats have good reliability and they are not abused as many are in the Med, with long sailing seasons and chartering.
Indeed the boat we found is lovely, one (engineer) owner that had her for ages, took good care of her.

TBH, I didn't realize that the whole ordeal would be so difficult. Being novice has that effect as well :)
Do what a mate of mine and Ruby Rose 2 did. Look up shipping them on a freighter. Mate put a power boat on a freighter near London, met the freighter in Gib and they unloaded it. RR2 did Thailand to Turkey the same.

pmagowan

sites.google.com
What about add an inflatable balloon made from the spare sails and filled with hot air (much provided free of charge at a forum near here) then you could traverse the globe in comfort in your dirigible balloon ship. Not sure how high you need to be to avoid politics but avoid the lounge and you should be ok. If you go the wrong way you just stay the course and 80 days later hey presto. 10 days to spare!

Seven Spades

Visit site
hello , I a 59 year old brit, recently bought a sailboat in Norway and I'm slowly (weather pretty bad in Norway) bringing it back home to Turkey . most of my path will go through EU countries .
I already spent two months in Norway and almost ready to leave it for Denmark , Netherlands ,and France, Italy , Greece .
it seems the 90 day limit is not going to be enough for me. what shall I do ?
Get married to an EU citizen, problem solved.

Irish Rover

Visit site
Many thanks! With the current condition of the North Sea, I'm afraid to take it to the UK, TBH. Novice sailors here.
In Turkiye, if the boat is foreign flagged, it essentially becomes the same as a tourist that comes to Turkiye with his/her boat and stays there. There are some limits, like you need to take the boat out (for a day or more) somewhere outside the country, and you get a transit log, and there are restrictions on where you can keep the boat (marinas or on anchor).

The shipping option sounds good actually, have you or anyone else used any shipping company before?
Any recommendations?

Many thanks!
I don't believe this poster is Turkish, as claimed. A Turk with any interest in boating, would know the rules about importing a second hand boat. I'd be happy to find out I'm wrong, of course.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
I don't believe this poster is Turkish, as claimed. A Turk with any interest in boating, would know the rules about importing a second hand boat. I'd be happy to find out I'm wrong, of course.
He says he's a UK citizen living in Turkey not that he's Turkish but your point is a valid one and at the very least someone embarking on such a venture would surely have researched most of the questions he has been asking and concluded that it was too difficult with his level of experience and budget.