6hp 4 stroke or 8hp 2 stroke outboard ?

davethedog

Visit site
Hi all,

After people's opinions regarding outboards, having the choice of a 6hp 4 stroke or an 8hp 2 stroke outboard what would you go for? For the sake of of argument both work well.and we will be suing it to take the dog ashore etc when in the Caribbean.

DTD

ronsurf

Visit site
I'm a big two stroke fan. They are light, easy to fix an give great power outputs.

Go for the four stroke outboard though. It'll be quieter, far more fuel efficient and you won't have to try and find two stroke oil in isolated parts of the world.

VicS

Visit site
Depends on whether 6 is enough or if you need 8. Also on personal preference for 2t or 4t.

I'd use a 1 1/2 hp Seagull

What does the dog think?

Kilo

Visit site
I'm finding it harder & harder to get spares for 2 strokes, don't know if that's common elsewhere but eventually in UK & EU its just not going to be worth the bother.
Maybe that should figure in the descision making process.

Goldie

Visit site
Dissent here! I’ve gone back from 4 strokes to 2 strokes for reliability, longevity and being able to start them without fear of losing my knuckles. SWMBO will use the 2 strokes but hated the 4 strokes. Last time I had my Yamaha 6 at the local dealer, he confided without any prompting, that it would outlast anything he had in the showroom now (and the engine’s nearly 20 years old already). No spares issues so far, but then again, it’s needed hardly any.

MADRIGAL

Visit site
Is the 6hp 4t a Yamaha? In which case, they’re decent lumps.
My 4-stroke Yamaha is the best starting, most reliable outboard that I have ever owned. I don't even think of the possibility that it won't start, and I don't miss all the faffing around mixing oil and petrol. It is a heavier motor than an equivalent 2-stroke, but much quieter.

Neeves

Visit site
I don't understand the 'faffing' about with 2 stroke fuel. Most less developed parts of the world use 2 stroke, they are cheaper and lighter. Buying a litre of 2 stroke oil is not difficult nor difficult to carry. Calculating how much to mix is usually on the oil bottle - with a little sight 'glass' in the side of the container. Most agricultural machine, motor bikes (small ones) and small engine are 2 stroke in the less developed parts of the world - and every mechanic working under a tree knows how to service them (if they ever need to be serviced).

The problems only arise in the modern west who have removed the ability to buy 2 strokes (and apparently - obtain spares). My experience would,d be - 2 strokes last for ever - even if you drop the in the sea.

If you are worried - buy some oars.

Jonathan

Last edited:

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
My 4-stroke Yamaha is the best starting, most reliable outboard that I have ever owned. I don't even think of the possibility that it won't start, and I don't miss all the faffing around mixing oil and petrol. It is a heavier motor than an equivalent 2-stroke, but much quieter.

Funny thing is, I could say exactly the same about my T9.8 2 stroke except I don't find mixing fuel a chore.

Graham376

Visit site
The problems only arise in the modern west who have removed the ability to buy 2 strokes (and apparently - obtain spares).
Jonathan

2 strokes can still be bought in UK if able to persuade a dealer it's for commercial use or, for any use if visiting Alderney. It may be different for other makes but I found all parts were available for my previous 26 year old Tohatsu 2 stroke.

geem

Visit site
Hi all,

After people's opinions regarding outboards, having the choice of a 6hp 4 stroke or an 8hp 2 stroke outboard what would you go for? For the sake of of argument both work well.and we will be suing it to take the dog ashore etc when in the Caribbean.

DTD
When you get out to the Caribbean you will find cruisers run larger engines than is normal in Europe. Those engines are normally 2 stroke as they can be bought cheaply in the Caribbean. The two most popular engines are Tohatsu 9.8hp and Yamaha Enduro 15hp. Most cruisers here have a rib. Distances to dinghy docks or the town quay can often be some distance. In the Caribbean you spend your life at anchor. The dinghy/ engine set up is far more important than what you need in Europe. The wind tends to blow hard and anchorages can get choppy. Arriving after a dinghy trip soaked to the skin gets tiring. So, a decent dinghy and larger engine for that dinghy is the way to go. You need to be able to plain two up. Believe me, if you can't do that, you will likely end up buying a new set up that allows you to do that.
One option is to make do with a small engine in Europe and sail across direct to St Martin where you can buy a brand new two stroke. Have a look at prices on the web from Budget Marine and Island Waterworld. The Tohatsu is sold as a Nissan as well

Graham376

Visit site
You need to be able to plain two up. Believe me, if you can't do that, you will likely end up buying a new set up that allows you to do that.

We learned the hard way, even in Europe.. Our mooring is about 1km offshore and there's often a chop along with adverse tide and wind. Our original dinghy with slatted floor and Yamaha Malta often left us soaked through on slow trips. Larger dinghy with ply floor and inflatable keel with larger outboard allows us to plane over the chop without getting wet.

geem

Visit site
We learned the hard way, even in Europe.. Our mooring is about 1km offshore and there's often a chop along with adverse tide and wind. Our original dinghy with slatted floor and Yamaha Malta often left us soaked through on slow trips. Larger dinghy with ply floor and inflatable keel with larger outboard allows us to plane over the chop without getting wet.
As you know we went the whole way and for the last four years we have had a 3.8m hard dinghy. It's nesting so stows on the foredeck on passage. With a 15hp Yam Enduro we can make long trips no problem. The hull shape is efficient, planes easily and it's super durable. The dinghy has its 30th birthday in March next year. We get asked about it, about once a week on average over here. I am not aware of any other nesting dinghy that can take a 15hp. Over here in the Caribbean it's the perfect ride for us?