What Yacht?

pvb

Visit site
a mate bought a westerly Corsair a few years ago and has (at last I heard) taken it from Milford haven to New Zealand. Bang for buck I think that a good condition Corsair is an excellent boat but it’s not got 21st century kerb appeal.

Do you happen to know the name of that Corsair? I bought a new Corsair ketch in about 1986, and named it "Salsy". I sold it in 1992 and the last I heard of it, the new owners had done a transat, then through the Panama Canal, and ended up in New Zealand.

lustyd

Visit site

Stemar

Visit site
Well, the appearance doesn't bother me - I could certainly live with that. I don't mind form following function; too many boats seem to let the designers loose then try and make the function work around the form.

So many things I like about her - the centreboard, the insulation, heating and ventilation, and, not least, the space, but with handholds everywhere. The biggest criticism I had of my mate's 39 footer was the wide open spaces with little to hold on to, but the Garcia seems so much safer.

If I were 20 years younger and 20 million richer...

lustyd

Visit site
I thoroughly agree, I don't want one with no engineers and too many designers either.

His talk of the centreboard was a little biased I think. He ignored that his balast is inside the boat at a max depth of 1m, making it half as effective as ballast 2m below the waterline, or needing twice as much. I'm not saying it's a huge issue, but he completely skated over any downsides.

I don't mind space as long as there are rails. My boats don't spend a large percentage of their time on passage compared to at anchor or in marinas so that's a trade off I'm happy to make as I'm still young enough to compensate for the boat's shortcomings in that area

Homer J

Visit site
+1 for the Sirius 40. They claim to have the same interior space as a 50ft and they will configure it as you wish. If you want an office and walk in wardrobe they will make it for you. Seriously comfortable pushpit arm chairs, galley level with the cockpit, great views out, a proper big bed and as already mentioned a hidden workshop bene the saloon table. And you can drive it from inside if the weather is awful.
I have the same ambition and am hoping in 10yrs there will be a used one cheap enough for me to buy.