what does ssr registered mean

D

Deleted User YDKXO

SSR registration means virtually nothing as you can get a SSR registration document for a particular boat through a simple application form and without providing any documentation. It certainly does not prove that somebody owns a particular boat or has clear title to it. It's not much more than a shiny laminated certificate which you can wave at foreign customs officers when they ask for your documents. It's also a tidy little earner for the MCA

VicS

Visit site
hi all

can someone please tell me what it means when a boat is ssr registered to someone

thanks in advance again from a newbie who is learing all the time :D

Some unhelpful answers so far. Hopefully I can do a little better

It is an inexpensive alternative for pleasure craft to full registration on Part 1 of the Register of shipping.

It should be accepted by foreign bureaucracy in place of full registration but does not give the same degree of evidence of title that full registration does and I believe is not acceptable for raising a marine mortgage

http://www.dft.gov.uk/mca/shipsandcargoes/mcga-ukshipregister Should tell you all you need to know

Last edited:

Tranona

Visit site
hi all

can someone please tell me what it means when a boat is ssr registered to someone

thanks in advance again from a newbie who is learing all the time :D

You may find it useful to buy one of the books such as the one published by the RYA on buying and selling secondhand boats. It will talk you through the process and explain all the terms you are likely to come across. Like many activities there are well defined processes and specific terminology and it is useful to know these in advance.

Bandit

Visit site
The other thing is it is not transferable to the next owner, on sale the SSR becomes void and the new owner has to apply for a new one with a new number.

VicS

Visit site
The other thing is it is not transferable to the next owner, on sale the SSR becomes void and the new owner has to apply for a new one with a new number.

There is provision on the application form to enter an existing SSR number. Are you saying that number , which should be permanently marked or affixed to the vessel, does not then remain with the vessel

hlb

RIP
Visit site
In my days, it said you had a white boat. I could not be bothered with the new number so asked for the one on the back of the boat, no bother £15. I then had two numbers for the same boat.

It's about as much use as a chocolate tea pot, but for some reason the French like it.

VicS

Visit site
It's about as much use as a chocolate tea pot, but for some reason the French like it.
For French and other foreign officials it is as good as part 1 registration.
It was designed as a simple and inexpensive an alternative to Part 1 registration for small pleasure vessels "going foreign".

If you think its of no more use than a chocolate teapot I suggest that next time some official in a foreign port asks for your ships papers you offer them a chocolate teapot!