Used boat values

Refueler

Visit site
Back when they were big in this area (late Eighties, early Nineties - Princess for example had 266R/286R/330/35/388/415, Fairline had 21 Sprint, 24 Carrera, 26 Sunfury, Targa 30, 33, etc etc) there weren't really any serious mass producers to contend with. Now the likes of Jeanneau and Beneteau are pushing boats into that segment with vast mass produced efficiencies (and thus low prices) that Princess, Sunseeker etc can't hope to compete with. It would be like Rolls Royce bringing out a model to compete with the Ford Focus. They just don't have the massive economies of scale, better to make small numbers of very expensive hand built products where the profit margin makes up for the smaller quantities.

I'd be very happy to be proved wrong mind you, I'd love to see a modern Princess 266 or 388 or a current version of a Sunfury.

I had Agency for Ridas Yacht Builders some years ago and then handed on to another when I left UK.

I was very friendly with Ridas himself and we had long talks about boats and sizes being built. In his yard - he had a mould for a 25 - 26ft fast cruiser. I used to press him to look at producing a 'pocket cruiser' of that size as there were few about apart from second hand.

He was honest and said - the profit margin was just not there. There were too many reasonable second hand boats still around in that size making it even more questionable.
He went on to describe the costs per foot of building ... and he showed that as you increased from 26ft .... each step reduced that cost per foot and as you got to 33 - 34ft - the reduction rate increased until you hit 45ft. At 45ft ... cost per ft was then stable for the leisure yacht market ....

Note that is building costs of hull and deck ... not the fittings / engines etc.