Southern Ireland cruising

Xscapiste

Visit site
We are about to arrive in Dublin next week and have 8 days to get from there to Milford Haven, am wondering if its worth getting down to Kilmore Quay as quickly as possible in order to cruise along the south coast, although not sure its realistic to think we will get as far as Cork, is there any nice cruising to be done around Waterford? We will have two small children on board but if worth a long blast we could stick them on a train / shore for a day while we get South. Thanks for any advice...

dgadee

Visit site
Only Arklow between Dublin and Kilmore Quay worth going into. And only as a harbour. Don't know much about further round the south.

Daydream believer

Visit site
I have twice gone Milford Haven straight to Dun Laoghaire. Then one has a 24 hour marina & a variety of places to visit. I have considered Arklow but both times I have done it it has been rough & I involved a night entry so I have avoided it.
DL is not a bad place to go & I believe it is a recognised port of entry to the EU which presumably has to be considered. Is Arklow a port of entry?
The pilot books do not make the southern ports particularly inviting.
For cruising NI seems a better option -Howth, Ardglass, Glenarm. Ballycastle & back to Dublin Bay

Last edited:

johnalison

Visit site
...'cos that's where The Murphys starts.:D
It was Beamish when I was there, but that was nearly 20 yrs ago and I see that its Cork brewery has been moved to Murphy's, which itself is owned by Heineken. While H is probably the worst beer in the world, I live in hope that the Irish have managed to preserve their own brews.

JNKScot

Visit site
It was Beamish when I was there, but that was nearly 20 yrs ago and I see that its Cork brewery has been moved to Murphy's, which itself is owned by Heineken. While H is probably the worst beer in the world, I live in hope that the Irish have managed to preserve their own brews.
Both Murphy's & Beamish are now Heineken brands.

typhoonNige

Visit site
You can sail up the river to Waterford where there’s a walk ashore pontoon. I’ve done it and enjoyed a pleasant evening ashore there. I’d go further west than Eyore suggests and say the best starts at Kinsale or even Baltimore

zoidberg

Visit site
Clearly you haven't tried American "beer". Heineken is a major step up from the swill that masquerades as beer over here.

Amendment to my post in #10....

"...one of the 'Jester Challenges' goes to Baltimore, County Cork!"

TSB240

Visit site
Only Arklow between Dublin and Kilmore Quay worth going into. And only as a harbour. Don't know much about further round the south.
My experience of Arklow is not good.
A depressing location with an option of mooring up either in a stimking fish dock or ricketty riverside pontoons adjacent to an open sewer.
Eating out is a non starter but if desperate you could get groceries from a German supplied supermarket.
The mini marina of miniscule proportions packed with depressingly green algae covered boats really was a shock. Recommendation from HM was to wash hands with antibacterial solution immediately after handling lines that have entered water in harbour was hardly a glowing recommendation.

I think you have missed Greystones and Wicklow as two potential stop overs. Greystones marina is pricey, but at least the village offered a variety of eating and entertainmen and the Dart is available for a run into Dublin also good walks on the cliff promenade.
I understand Wicklow facilities are much improved and prefferable to Arklow the anus of Eire!

I have to say everything gets better from Kilmore Quay on.............

dgadee

Visit site
My experience of Arklow is not good.
A depressing location with an option of mooring up either in a stimking fish dock or ricketty riverside pontoons adjacent to an open sewer.
Eating out is a non starter but if desperate you could get groceries from a German supplied supermarket.
The mini marina of miniscule proportions packed with depressingly green algae covered boats really was a shock. Recommendation from HM was to wash hands with antibacterial solution immediately after handling lines that have entered water in harbour was hardly a glowing recommendation.

I think you have missed Greystones and Wicklow as two potential stop overs. Greystones marina is pricey, but at least the village offered a variety of eating and entertainmen and the Dart is available for a run into Dublin also good walks on the cliff promenade.
I understand Wicklow facilities are much improved and prefferable to Arklow the anus of Eire!

I have to say everything gets better from Kilmore Quay on.............

Was in Wicklow in 1985 and too tight for Greystones. Arklow has a good long pontoon. Arrive, stay a night and off to Newlyn early next morning. Town has plenty of places to eat if you are not an epicure.

Dino

Visit site
I agree with Eyore, the good cruising really only starts in Cork.
There’s a good selection of destinations around Dublin that would be worth a visit. Malahide, Howth, Dublin City moorings, Dún Laoghaire, Greystones, etc. Are all decent spots for a night.

Barnacle Bill

www.aztecsailing.co.uk
Besides Waterford (pontoon as mentioned above - that's where my boat Aztec lives) you can go on up the Barrow as far as New Ross (Barrow Bridge can be opened on request), you also have Kilmore Quay and the Saltees, Dunmore East visitor's pontoon in the harbour or anchorage (but not in an Easterly), plenty of anchorages further west: Helvic in Dungarvan Bay, Ardmore (Cliff House Hotel for a superb dinner) then you have Youghal and Balycotton just before you get to Cork Harbour.

So it depends what kind of cruising you like, but it's a nice coast and quite a bit to see.

Xscapiste

Visit site
Thanks all. Looks like the weather is not really going to assist us too much with going round the corner so I think the Dublin advice might be the most useful!

Seven Spades

Visit site
DL is not a bad place to go & I believe it is a recognised port of entry to the EU which presumably has to be considered. Is Arklow a port of entry?
The pilot books do not make the southern ports particularly inviting.
For cruising NI seems a better option -Howth, Ardglass, Glenarm. Ballycastle & back to Dublin Bay
It is not relevant. Ireland is not in Schengen you don’t even need to take passports to Ireland is it is in the “Common Area”.