Soldering gun for rope hot knife?

penberth3

Visit site
If sources of heat aren't readily available you can wrap the rope with insulating tape, cut it, and then apply superglue to the cut end. The glue wicks up between the individual fibres and does a similar job to heat sealing. I've not had a rope sealed this way come apart.

Why didn't I think of super glue? I've sometimes done that with PVA and waited hours for it to set!

lw395

Visit site
If sources of heat aren't readily available you can wrap the rope with insulating tape, cut it, and then apply superglue to the cut end. The glue wicks up between the individual fibres and does a similar job to heat sealing. I've not had a rope sealed this way come apart.

Superglue is also good for tidying the ends of shock cord/bungee.

Topcat47

Visit site
Hi just bought myself a IRODA SOLDERPRO 70 from Maplin for £27.99. Wonderful piece of kit. It is a soldering iron a blow torch and a HOT KNIFE. Best of all it runs on butane gas(no electricity required) and comes with a spark igniter. As of yet I have used it for soldering 1.5mm cable(easy) and used the heat blower for shrinking shrink tube(brilliant). The hot knife blade has a useable length of 5/8"(16mm). The only problem is availability it can still be ordered on line and delivered to your local Maplin store for your collection. Jim

+1 ideal for the boat. I leave it on board. Gas refills are very cheap. and it doubles as a gas lighter for my, cooker, too.

SvenH

Visit site
I made a custom tip for my soldering gun.
Bend copper wire in a U-shape, then hammer it flat.

Put in to gun and melt away.
I tried iron rod first, thinking it would need resistance.
But you need to use copper, apparently it needs to be conductive.