Sailing in Greece

BurnitBlue

Visit site
From "Greek reporter" from 22 04 2021:

As of the 23rd of April, “blue cruising,” or cruising with no intermediate stops in ports, and yachting, will be allowed with some restrictions, which will be the same for both Greek and foreign citizens.
This means A to A OK. A to C destination but no stops at B. However ok to declare A to B then declare B to C. That is how I read it. Typical confusion leading to local official interpretation. Here we go again. Depends on which official handles the case.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
This means A to A OK. A to C destination but no stops at B. However ok to declare A to B then declare B to C. That is how I read it. Typical confusion leading to local official interpretation. Here we go again. Depends on which official handles the case.
You should get a job with the PP :) I'm more confused now since I read your pairing then before haha
What if I sailed from B to E and then from E to K stopping at C on the way ?

BurnitBlue

Visit site
You should get a job with the PP :) I'm more confused now since I read your pairing then before haha
What if I sailed from B to E and then from E to K stopping at C on the way ?
You must start from A. The rest of the alphabet is open to interpretation.

Ignorance of the law is no excuse to avoid a penalty fine. Therefore it is government strategy to keep everyone in a state of confusion with laws and directives that invite a fine. Note well, once we in YBW arrive at an understanding of the law of the week, by these endless debates, the law or directive will be changed.

Tony Cross

Visit site
It would make sense to open for chartering at the same time general tourism starts. I guess people with their own boats will get same freedom or limitations as the charter boats.

Last time I checked Greece had approx. 7 times UK case rate per 100,000 and total tests were only about 1/3 the UK level. I don't know how current test rates stack up, only the totals. I can see UK tourists being a safer option for Greece than those from quite a few other places. I imagine Greece will continue to vaccinate at a steady pace and might reach current UK level by June/July. There must be a fairly good chance of vaccinations helping to get their rates down to current UK levels by mid-July.

Lots of variables of course, still lots of ifs & buts.:D

Go now: Can't at present
Go when sensible: Probably expensive and very hot (I can only survive 40C after a few months getting used to 30C+ :D)
Leave it for a while: Perhaps cooler and possibly cheaper. Might run out of time to sail and also run into the next wave in Greece.
Greece is "Green" on Covid-19 Map for Testing, Positivity Rates

BurnitBlue

Visit site

grumpygit

Visit site

BurnitBlue

Visit site
I never noticed any support pillers on previous transits, just wre netting. I was thinking eartquake that caused the cave in. Actually, the sides did look precarious being plumb vertical. Thanks for the link. I guess I can throw away the current price list for transit. Also I did not realise the canal gives the whole Pellipop peninsular island tax status. The inhabitance must be a bit anxious for three month.

BurnitBlue

Visit site
Yippes, although it was just curiosity that prompted my question about the closure of the Corinth canal it does make escape of 90/180 to Turkey a bit more difficult for Ionian based yachts. And Italian I suppose. Another brick in the wall.

Irish Rover

Visit site
Yippes, although it was just curiosity that prompted my question about the closure of the Corinth canal it does make escape of 90/180 to Turkey a bit more difficult for Ionian based yachts. And Italian I suppose. Another brick in the wall.
We'll miss you guys but not the bloody noisy rude Italians.

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
I am friendly with a British owned charter company ,10 of their boats are based in Corinth port. Their intinary was one week in the gulf and one week Saronic islands Their others yachts in the Ionion.
Bit of a problem getting boat from here Lavrio , to the bases.

Plus the fact the company do not know if UK gov will allow people to visit and at what cost..

Last edited:

wwalsh

Visit site
Protocol for Arrivals in Greece - travel.gov.gr

When will the departure and arrival of private yachts be allowed and from which countries?

The departure and arrival of yachts (except those coming from Albania and Turkey) will be allowed from the 3rd of May and onwards, with some restrictions, while the same terms and conditions will apply both for Greek and foreign citizens

What will apply to cruise ships?

By May 3rd , blue cruising will be allowed, i.e. cruising without intermediate stops in ports during the trip. Full opening, on May 14th, will lead to the complete removal of cruise restrictions, always enforcing very strict protocols that will apply to these activities.

wwalsh

Visit site
People have done movements already with permission of the port police (especially if going to home marina) It depends whether the donuts were good that day.

Irish Rover

Visit site
Protocol for Arrivals in Greece - travel.gov.gr

When will the departure and arrival of private yachts be allowed and from which countries?

The departure and arrival of yachts (except those coming from Albania and Turkey) will be allowed from the 3rd of May and onwards, with some restrictions, while the same terms and conditions will apply both for Greek and foreign citizens

What will apply to cruise ships?

By May 3rd , blue cruising will be allowed, i.e. cruising without intermediate stops in ports during the trip. Full opening, on May 14th, will lead to the complete removal of cruise restrictions, always enforcing very strict protocols that will apply to these activities.
I know where I'm not welcome :mad:. This will make life difficult for UK boaters looking for respite from the 90/180.

BurnitBlue

Visit site
Information from Ken James at MOA. An American compny has been contracted to buils a marina in Vliho bay. (I wander where that will be situated) probably down at the far end? Also Nidri town quay is to be extended built as an annex to the marina by the same company.

OldBawley

Visit site
Just read that Turkey is now also going in strong lockdown. For 2,5 weeks.

We here in Greece have a much stronger lockdown, starting the 7e month.

Despite the ultra strong lockdown and the vaccinations, deaths are getting more.

Something is wrong. Could it be that locking people inside is not the right way?