Medical insurance for Channel Islands

boatsRus

Visit site
As I understand it, we now need to have medical insurance if we go to the Channel Islands. I am planning to go (by boat) next week. I usually get my travel insurance from the Post Office (very reasonable rates) but they had not even heard of this requirement for the Channel Islands, so I am not entirely convinced that their policy is right for me on this occasion. Can any of the experts in forumland suggest a suitable, cheap policy which will provide adequate cover for a week for me and Mrs Riverboatman?

boatsRus

Visit site
I think the biggest problem is likely to be repatriation costs (for ongoing treatment). The Post Office policy covers you for repatriation from outside the UK, but not from within the UK.

Sailfree

Visit site
Been posted before but travel insurance usually only covers you for "normal" travel and when claiming its often a requirement to produce the invoice for the holiday/flight/ferry.

Hence if they want to insurance companies can refuse to pay out if you sailed somewhere on your own boat.

After asking questions a few years ago of an annual travel insurance and getting conflicting replies as I was passed up the ladder when I asked would I be coverd in France if I fell ill but had got there by sailing. I finally got a definate no you will not be covered.

I got 3 yrs premiums refunded and then went with Bishop Skinner RYA approved travel insurance.

Bandit

Visit site
Its ok the doctors and hospital take used notes over here now.

Living in Guernsey we have the same problem problem in Britain, Wales Scotland or NI, we are charged for any medical services in the above as from 1st April 2009.

My general travel insurance now covers me for the above, you cant call it great britain because Channel Islands are part of GB and you cant call it the main land becasue it is not.

If you have travel insurance give them a call and check.

Having had ordinary 12 month travel insurance for the last 20 years i found out recently that it did not cover me for going away on the boat as it did not involve travel on a scheduled service air, ferry or train and as i did not spend two nights in a hotel.

My new one by Towergate does and for medical cover in parts of the UK other than the CI's.

Bandit

Visit site
Oh also hers indooors who is in the profession so to speak says that people fro the northern reaches of Great britain do get A and E cover so make it look like an A or an E.

georgeo

Visit site
I am in the 'trade' so to speak. I am afraid that in Guernsey if you require our services, you will be charged for all medical treatment. This includes ambulance, GP, A and E, and ongoing care. Secondary care (ie once you are in hospital) will be charged at BUPA rates. Jersey may be different in that A and E cover there may be free, but we will have to wait for a crapaud to answer this point with their local knowledge. Before anyone starts criticising, it was the UK government who unilaterally withdrew the reciprocal health agreement. I hope everyone stays healthy, we are not anticipating floods of UK visitors needing care and attention (unlike the old days when the wards used to fill up with the elderly infirm holiday makers who could just about get on a plane, fly off somewhere 'not foreign', and go straight to hospital from the airport!), more a steady trickle! The real worry is again the elderly, perhaps visiting family friends etc, who cannot get cover and have no idea they will need it. And repatriation is hugely expensive.

David_Jersey

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I am in the 'trade' so to speak. I am afraid that in Guernsey if you require our services, you will be charged for all medical treatment. This includes ambulance, GP, A and E, and ongoing care.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yikes! I ain't going to Guernsey /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif Over here for the locals (and I am 99% sure for visitors) you get a free Ambulance and A & E. (and I beleive it is same when folk from Jersey visit the UK).

But we have to pay for a trip to the GP, so will visitors (no change there) - the good news is that you can see a GP pretty much at your conveniance - and same day, first thing if you don't mind not definately seeing your own. I think a visit to the surgery costs around £20. Of course not all good, at present have a complaint in with the GMC over a GP. and me late brother /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Probably also find that prescriptions for visitors will be charged full whack - locals also pay, but I beleive subsidised from our Social Security (NI) payments (or maybe prices are set / capped?)

The problem will be with "Ongoing care". Say a Heart Attack.....free trip to the hospital by Ambulance /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif A & E will plug you into the mains for free /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif but if (when?!) you need to check in for a few days R & R / tests or futher treatment then the meter ££££ starts. No money? F#ck off back home (not my words /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif). Not well enuf to travel without killing yourself? Tough t#tty.......same for me (and mine) in the UK mainland of course......but could be worse, I hear that in Milton Keynes to get overnight hospital treatment the locals have to suck off tramps /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Some sort of pilot scheme.........quite popular in Sunderland apparently /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Bandit

Visit site
A&E covered in Guernsey.

The rest i understand non locals pay for.

Our Travel insurance has been changed since we took out the policy to cover trips overseas including northern bits of UK ie britain and north.

They will all change , give them acall to check for new insurance cover.

this and the possibilty of changing to french time will amke the CI seem exotic mark my words.

SirSnoozalot

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I hear that in Milton Keynes to get overnight hospital treatment the locals have to suck off tramps /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Some sort of pilot scheme.........quite popular in Sunderland apparently /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Mental Note: Don't go to Milton Keynes. (No decent Marinas there anyway).

David_Jersey

Visit site
I do try /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

But I thought I would add some links to the actual facts /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif for visitors to Jersey (from UK)......

www.Gov.je/Health stuff

FAQ's

(BTW Guernsey and Jersey appear to have a reciprocal health care agreement)