Isle of Wight sealine crash with injuries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kashurst

Visit site
Looking at the pictures the boat doesn't look too bad considering and it's dry. New outdrive, check the other one, proper GRP company to fix the hole in the bottom.
Any idea how the boat will be recovered? Big crane and a lorry? What is the shore access like?

AndrewL

Visit site
I've just walked along the beach to take a look.

It must have hit at considerable speed, it has skipped over and broken several large rocks to get to it's current position. It is above the high water line, the stern might get wet at HW but it certainly won't be any where near floating.

The starboard outdrive was ripped off and lies in the water about 10 metres behind. The port drive is still attached. It has twin props on each drive and on the port unit most blades are bent or broken. So I guess it was spinning with a lot of power when it hit.

The large hole at the bow seen in the photo is actually the bow thruster tunnel with the bottom ripped out. That section is probably still watertight. But there is significant damage to the hull underneath.

There is a half drunk bottle of wine in the cockpit, but that does not mean the skipper had drunk anything.

Someone else I met while walking out to see it said his son had been out fishing and had watched it fly across the bay and crash.

AndrewL

Visit site
Looking at the pictures the boat doesn't look too bad considering and it's dry. New outdrive, check the other one, proper GRP company to fix the hole in the bottom.
Any idea how the boat will be recovered? Big crane and a lorry? What is the shore access like?

There is no shore access. That cliffs above are soft mud and are always slipping. I would guess any salvage would be from the sea. Perhaps large inflatable tough tubes, to slip under and inflate and a powerful tug?

Portofino

Visit site
Speculation I know but 90 % of theses night high speed groundings are usually alcohol related .
This one was in the SoF a few yrs back .Not the owner but the son on a uni type mates jaunt .He found the keys etc .
3FFC35D6-42D3-445C-9CF4-952940496497.jpeg

Note with this one the IOW police say they are investigating further , as it’s a bit early for the injured to get sensible statements.
I guess it also depends if anyone wants to press any charges , ie blame anyone and how tight lipped / economically they are with the truth . Also wether the police have a automatic right/ mandate to measure blood alcohol levels .Ie they will need consent , if that consent wasn’t forth coming .etc etc .Unkess they arrest them and take them to the station and threaten them with fines / court etc like a road traffic accident.But they need good cause to arrest in the first place .So it’s very unlikely the four could be forced .
Does any one know if the police can demand ( like motoring offenders) a alcohol test for a boat incident ?

If they have had a drink , volunteering is gonna void a insurance claim .
Not “ remembering “ due to head jury of course ;) who was helming is not clever as I doubt all 4 have had the relevant RYA or what ever training compatible with a none voided insurance policy .The “good seamanship “ + “ competent person “ cop out .If someone else ends up named as the “ driver “ not a policy owner , or even with permission this person turns out unqualified.

If the insurance get a whiff of alcohol then that boats gonna languish until someone can fund the salvage .
All the details will come out

If you read your insurance exclusions mine craftinsure and iirc others Amlin , Zurich ( I have been through them all ) do say something to the effect it’s void , if the helm is under the influence of alcohol .

So if you don’t know for sure or drink a lot when you go out etc …just revisit your policy exclusions .

Hope they recover if injured and the ins Co cough up fully ??

stelican

Visit site
I've just walked along the beach to take a look.

It must have hit at considerable speed, it has skipped over and broken several large rocks to get to it's current position. It is above the high water line, the stern might get wet at HW but it certainly won't be any where near floating.

The starboard outdrive was ripped off and lies in the water about 10 metres behind. The port drive is still attached. It has twin props on each drive and on the port unit most blades are bent or broken. So I guess it was spinning with a lot of power when it hit.

The large hole at the bow seen in the photo is actually the bow thruster tunnel with the bottom ripped out. That section is probably still watertight. But there is significant damage to the hull underneath.

There is a half drunk bottle of wine in the cockpit, but that does not mean the skipper had drunk anything.

Someone else I met while walking out to see it said his son had been out fishing and had watched it fly across the bay and crash.
You sound like a ghoul.
Give it a rest.

Time Out

Visit site
To be fair the majority on here are questioning speculation but someone has an eye witness account. That’s urban journalism for you.

Perhaps the unfinished bottle of wine was not needed (could have been anyone’s) but the account of the damage at least answers a few questions.

The thread has literally been seeking answers.

The name and model of Sealine is well known but not published as it will not help or add anything to the situation.

Let’s hope they all have a swift recovery.

That includes the boat …

johndove

Visit site
With the impact and shock, will be lots of internal damage, popped bulkheads, cracked ribs etc. Plus heavy objects moving. Seen in the past a cooker on a sailing yacht buckled when run aground at 6 knots. Don't rush out and think its cheap repairable.?..

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
? Why do you need to know the facts officer
I didn’t see where he claimed to need facts. It’s natural to be curious. I’d agree it would be in dubious taste if someone had died. As far as we know, nobody’s at risk of that. I’m curious, I walk, swim, cycle and sail round that area. I’ve had a look too, but can’t add anything more.

Portofino

Visit site
? Why do you need to know the facts officer
That’s a good Q ?
Its what I was asking re alcohol testing and the injured 4 .Exactly how much due restriction does plod have?

I mean we all know what would happen if there was an incident in a car on a public road with 4 injured.I think we all get that .
But with a boat and no 3 rd party property damage ?

Anyone know how involved plod will get ?

DavidJ

home in Brum. S37 sold, was in Med Spain.
Visit site
I do find these reports useful because for me they are wake up call not to be complacent. After boating for 40 years without an accident you can slip into a routine without thinking too much about the “what ifs”
We have all drunk a little too much and have taken our eyes off the way ahead for a few seconds and have got away with it. Not suggesting this was the case but it just makes me think and perhaps makes me a little more prepared and aware in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.