Got to be the way to go?

ST840

Visit site
So let's look at the Mercury Verado 400.
Each Engine costs £40k
Mercury 400 Verado® Outboard Engine - 400 HP

Four of those will be £162,000

Fuel consumption at 3500rpm could be 40 litres/hr per engine, 160 litres per hour, which actually isn't terrible for 1600hp of engines.
Flat out could be 500 litres per hour :oops:

Also you have 1200kg engines with the weight rather higher up than with an inboard.

It all suits the USA market ... "Blat out through the inlet with the bikini babes, zoom around the bay at 60kts for half an hour, drop the anchor, catch fish, drink beer, zoom back at 60kts".
It's not quite the "Plod to Newtown Creek at 20kts, eat sandwiches, use binoculars to spot wading birds, read Kindle, plod on towards Lymington" experience that we are more used to over here.
Your description of a day afloat sounds better than the USA one tbh.

marcochi76

Visit site
I would be personally very interested in a 40feet sport-cruiser with outboards.
That would be a dream to finally forget the VP+DPH nightmare
Few well known brands are proposing interesting OB boats;

Windy Camira 40 available with OB
Magnum Marine 47.5 only with OB
Fairline F30 available with OB
Sessa C3X available with OB
Beneteau GT36 available with OB

I would love to see an Itama with OB ))))

Certainly the consumption might be an issue but maybe compensated by the much lower maintenance costs.
But where would you put the tender???

Mr Googler

Visit site

Certainly the consumption might be an issue but maybe compensated by the much lower maintenance costs.
Porto will cough into his cornflakes when he reads that!

nicho

Visit site

Some diesels are available for your 60/40 split!

Portofino

Visit site
They are basically cheaper to manufacture.But the balance is sub optimal,swinging all that weight off the stern .That can be gotten around with tanks / fwd ballast I guess .Or just accepted lowering the conditions envelope.An envelope of usage many will be happy with any how .
But the main seller is the route out of VP outdrives “ nightmare “into easy Japanese maintenance .
For a day boat with occasional overnights a large 40-45 ftr with OB s is ideal .More so for those wise enough to buy real estate ashore as well ( another subject)
Say £1M budget split into €600 house / apartment and a new €400 OB run about .*

You can’t compare them with trad diesel shaft inboards ( like Itama 40 ) as apart from price theres is no issue s to seek another power package .

Large OB boats are taking VP OD sales .

Itama sales of the 40 are stronger than ever recently not really effected by the rise of 40-45 ftr OB s .

Once met a guy about 15 y back on a big rib kipping in a tent on the foredeck in Porquerolles. He d had a big boat ( was a uni teacher from Belgium) a floating apartment like many on here .
They were mixing hotels ashore with kipping in the tent .He’s was off the Corsica next day .110 miles .

Winter he trailered it back up N .No annual marina fees etc .

Got me thinking !

Based on that the decision to go 2 cabin / 3 cabin was made ……..buy hotel accommodation or ease guest s into there own space .

Less is more is never more appropriate with boats I have learnt 17 yrs in the Med .

So OB 40 s will sell like hot cakes no doubt .

nicho

Visit site
cost of fuel is not the biggest expense in ? most boat owners experience
How many marinas in the U.K. still have petrol available? If not presumably they will still have the tanks that could be recommissioned. Currently petrol is around 20p/litre less than diesel at the forecourt pumps, so would probably be no more than marina diesel with its 60/40 split. I have to say, if we had the money, a new 36’ outboard powered boat would be high on my list. Meantime, I have to say I love our S34’s AD41’s with their non electronic simplicity.

paradave

Visit site
How many marinas in the U.K. still have petrol available? If not presumably they will still have the tanks that could be recommissioned. Currently petrol is around 20p/litre less than diesel at the forecourt pumps, so would probably be no more than marina diesel with its 60/40 split. I have to say, if we had the money, a new 36’ outboard powered boat would be high on my list. Meantime, I have to say I love our S34’s AD41’s with their non electronic simplicity.
Sadly marina petrol is considerably more than diesel - last fill up for me about 4 weeks ago and the prices are £2/l locally. Ouch.

simonfraser

Visit site
addmittedly i don't go 'far' but keeping my tank 3/4 full is not the hardship i thought
have a 20L well sealing petrol container and a cut to length syphon - v handy

not the big deal i thought it might have been
no dock to tie up to for fueling etc

Boat2016

Visit site
Feeling from cans is Not a problem if you have a jiggle syphon
Most petrol stations switch off pump when they see you filling jerry cans, not to mention you can only carry 10 litres at a time in metal can its a few trips to fill up the boat.
i used to take boat on trailer to fill up.

ChromeDome

Commonly in Denmark. Dizzy Too, most of the time.
Visit site
UK real life figures. Mind you - there is no attempt to find the optimal mpg - just readings of rpm & comsumption

A bit of video for interested people - speed and consumption figures at 27:20 [2 x Yam 200 hp]

Playing with the GW and trim might give you different comsuption figures, but just over tickover and the lowest speed still on stable plane usually returns best mpg.

The Q

Visit site
No water side petrol on the broads.
No point having huge outboards on the broads, except for Breydon water the max speed limit is 6 mph, 4 mph through villages and moorings.

Disadvantage of having a several outboards on the back?

Customs visiting you regularly, suspecting you're a drug smuggler.

Alicatt

Visit site
It was always a problem with 4 20l jerry cans and a 25l fuel tank which gave me about 2 hours running and 30minutes reserve @ WOT at around 35kn, backed off to about 25kn would give me over 3hours of running with the 30minutes of reserve on a 6m dory with a 75hp Johnson V4 twostroke outboard, the extra fuel did eat into the space onboard for us divers.
We had a handy petrol station beside the water, but when it closed it was a bit of a pain carrying 4 jerry cans and a fuel tank through the town on foot. Where I kept the boat was a couple of miles away from the town at a small harbour and fishing village (4.5km by sea). Now they have a nice marina in the inner harbour to replace all the fishing boats that have gone, they have diesel there don't know about petrol. In my days there you called up the supplier and he sent down a tanker with red diesel to fill your boat @ 27p/litre at that time.