Diver to free fouled anchor

GTom

Visit site
Ria Formosa Portugal, €6k fine if caught, we managed to get away with severe warning earlier in the year but not risking it again. As well as diver costs, there's a license fee for every dive and, if the maritime police decide they want to be present, we have to pay for their time as well. All in about 5m depth, I job I've done myself in the past which takes about 1/2 hr to change the ground chain working alone.

Sounds like an easier freedive. Freediving/swimming is also banned in the area? It doesn't take more than 5 seconds on the bottom to attach a tripping line unless the anchor is buried deep in sand/mud/etc.

Stemar

Visit site
Be careful in Portsmouth mud. I heard a story, which I believe to be true, of someone who dived to free his anchor from a muddy bottom, somewhere a bit warmer than Portsmouth. He didn't come back up and divers found him stuck in the mud up to his knees. It seems that pulling up on the anchor had had an equal and opposite action to push him into the mud, when suction made it impossible to get out. Not a nice way to go.

ridgy

Visit site
I don't know much about scuba diving however I just had a quick look and you can get a PADI open water course for 250 and then would one of these do the business for a quick trip to 5 or 10m?

1L Mini Scuba Diving Equipment Kit Oxygen Air Tank Underwater Breathing Valve UK | eBay

Seems like it would be a useful thing to have on board in conjunction with a mask, wetsuit, flippers, weight belt, and gardening trowel.
Maybe add a climbing helmet for those prop clearing expeditions too.

RupertW

Visit site
I don't know much about scuba diving however I just had a quick look and you can get a PADI open water course for 250 and then would one of these do the business for a quick trip to 5 or 10m?

1L Mini Scuba Diving Equipment Kit Oxygen Air Tank Underwater Breathing Valve UK | eBay

Seems like it would be a useful thing to have on board in conjunction with a mask, wetsuit, flippers, weight belt, and gardening trowel.
I’m considering buying full PADI kit but that looks close to a grand - I’ve basically only got the mask, flippers and wetsuit at the moment.

I like the idea of the cheapie one a lot but 1L is very small for the things like changing an anode and could rapidly run out even when freeing an anchor. Interesting though.

zoidberg

Visit site
You could perhaps learn the ancient and time-honoured nautical skill of drying out against a pier-wall or scraping posts. Or - you could throw handful of beer tokens at the problem....

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site

Would have to be a very quick trip as only 1L of air. Wouldn't even consider that as a primary/only air source. 3L pony tank would be safer bet for attaching a trip line to fouled anchor, you only realise you're out of air when all of a sudden, you can't breath in - been there :( . Lots of second hand dive gear on ebay but if a tank is out of date and reg needs service, may as well buy new.

RupertW

Visit site
You could perhaps learn the ancient and time-honoured nautical skill of drying out against a pier-wall or scraping posts. Or - you could throw handful of beer tokens at the problem....
If that is about the anode - the tidal range where I am is about a metre and nowhere has pier walls in shallow water or drying out posts alas. And getting a haul out isn’t possible at our marina.

penberth3

Visit site
Would have to be a very quick trip as only 1L of air. Wouldn't even consider that as a primary/only air source......

I've just had a look - it says it's 1 litre at 200 bar and gives you 15- 20 minutes. That is very optimistic, some, quick mental arithmetic tells me 5 minutes maximum.

LadyInBed

montymariner.co.uk
To keep the figures simple, assume a consumption of 10 litres per min when at rest at the surface, a 1 litre cylinder filled to 200 bars will give you 10 mins at the surface or 5 mins at a depth of 10 mtrs.
When you start exerting yourself (getting to the bottom, pulling at an anchor) your air consumption could double, so if you get 2 mins you will be doing well and that isn't allowing any reserve for surfacing!

dom

Visit site
A warning having done this before.

1. Be mindful of hull type. With any waves running diving beneath boats with flattish sections astern is suicide. It feels like a great big ceiling is coming down on your head with water buoyancy ready to ensure you get a right old smack - easily enough for concussion.​
2. If conditions are safe one should ALWAYS wear a helmet (canoe or construction) in anything other than totally sheltered waters.​
3. Switch the power supply to the starter motor off.​
4. Those 1 litre cylinders are Party Shop toys ...totally idiotic. A 3l pony as suggested above won't even cost much more.​
5. I happen to carry a range of wetsuits for different temps. As others say, beware of cold water - it's not a matter of bravery, it is a question of physiology!​
6. If in doubt, DON'T DIVE!​

Apols if this comes across a bit shouty :oops:

Neeves

Visit site
A warning having done this before.

1. Be mindful of hull type. With any waves running diving beneath boats with flattish sections astern is suicide. It feels like a great big ceiling is coming down on your head with water buoyancy ready to ensure you get a right old smack - easily enough for concussion.​
2. If conditions are safe one should ALWAYS wear a helmet (canoe or construction) in anything other than totally sheltered waters.​
3. Switch the power supply to the starter motor off.​
4. Those 1 litre cylinders are Party Shop toys ...totally idiotic. A 3l pony as suggested above won't even cost much more.​
5. I happen to carry a range of wetsuits for different temps. As others say, beware of cold water - it's not a matter of bravery, it is a question of physiology!​
6. If in doubt, DON'T DIVE!​

Apols if this comes across a bit shouty :oops:

Shouty - sounds very sensible to me and you did not mention use of a Divers flag, that people will ignore the divers flag - so watch for passing vessels, no mention of sharks.

Anchors are cheap - life is slightly more precious - carry a spare, move on.

Jonathan

dom

Visit site
Shouty - sounds very sensible to me and you did not mention use of a Divers flag, that people will ignore the divers flag - so watch for passing vessels, no mention of sharks.

Anchors are cheap - life is slightly more precious - carry a spare, move on.

Jonathan

100% re flag and as for sharks ...oops forgot that :oops:

Seriously though, 10m is deep enough to be disorientating and frightening to someone who is not used to it. While not in the range which requires decompression stops for short dives, visibility can be a problem, as can cold water, one can accidentally surface beneath the boat if aiming for the stern, etc., etc.

Basically if you've got dive gear and know what your doing, then just sort the anchor.

If unsure at all .....forget it. As for using those daft toy cylinders ....keep them for blowing up balloons at children's parties :)

Frogmogman

Visit site
+1 for the words of caution. I know having a dig at health and safety requirements is a popular sport, but they have evolved for good reason.

The son of some close friends, who was working as the skipper of a 70 footer in the Caribbean drowned a few years ago in the BVI while scrubbing the hull in his scuba kit. Although a PADI qualified diver, he was diving alone and I guess became disoriented.

grandpaboat

Visit site
Do you think the OP has ignored advice and drowned.
It would be nice to hear how he went on. Or should we just keep blethering away amoungst ourselves.