ARC - Returning boats

asteven221

Visit site
Apologies if this has been discussed before, but I am curious to find out what people do (with their boat) once they have finished the ARC.

Sail back? Carry on sailing to somewhere new? Sell it? Ship it back on a big boat?

With the large number of boats participating, I was wondering if shipping the boat back and flying home is what the majority do. Out of interest, what does it cost to ship a 40 - 50 footer back to the UK?

pyrojames

transat2013.blogspot.co.uk
Apologies if this has been discussed before, but I am curious to find out what people do (with their boat) once they have finished the ARC.

Sail back? Carry on sailing to somewhere new? Sell it? Ship it back on a big boat?

With the large number of boats participating, I was wondering if shipping the boat back and flying home is what the majority do. Out of interest, what does it cost to ship a 40 - 50 footer back to the UK?

Some get shipped (~25k), some delivered, some sailed back, I suspect quite a lot continue on.

macd

Visit site
With the large number of boats participating, I was wondering if shipping the boat back and flying home is what the majority do.

My view is as anecdotal as anyone else's, but I very much suspect that shipping back is the rarity. The expression 'Atlantic circuit' is much-used for a reason (as are plenty of books of much the same name). Most yachts just sail back, I think. Horta harbour (Azores) gets pretty full with eastbound yachts in early summer each year.

AIDY

www.ybw.com
lots stay, and carry on, few come back with arc Europe, some come back themselves. did the ship option a fair few years back. dunno of cost these days but adding up time, wear n tear including new sails on the return. and a few friends chipping in for use of the boat in the carib it worked out cheaper to ship back.

Allan

Visit site
In 2013 we took a Moody 31 on an Atlantic circuit, end of March to middle of July. Many of the people we met were doing the same but left December. We're of again in January. Our plan is to sail back by end of June.
Allan

jonic

www.jryachts.com
We deliver some of them back!

Pete

And we sell some of them when they come back!

As Pete says, some come back with pro delivery skippers, others are sailed back by their owners and some are shipped back. The rest keep going west :encouragement:

When we returned we shipped our Moody 38 from West Palm Beach in the USA straight to Southampton. We were given a very good rate and it made financial sense. At the time the currency worked well for us and it was circa £10k.

It was quite a surreal experience after 8 years away, mainly in the tropics, to then pick her up on a cold grey day in Southampton from alongside the ship and motor round the corner into Ocean Village - Without a palm tree in sight and the buoyage all the wrong way round!

Last edited:

Halcyon Yachts

www.halcyonyachts.com
Go on then, ball park figure please for a Beneteau 38 ft.
Stu

It depends on the exact start and finish point, but as a general rule it is quite a bit cheaper than going by ship. The risk of wear and tear can put some people off, whereas others think that a yacht should be sailed! Many of the trips we do coming back are owner assists, people who see the trip as a great opportunity to sail and see some fabulous things along the way. The Azores are probably still my favourite place to sail and to visit!

Pete

Peroo

Visit site
We crossed in 2010 and then returned via the BVI's, Bermuda and the Azores in 2014.

Enjoyed the Caribbean,,,,,,,,,,did not enjoy the trip back across the Atlantic.

However, now the pain has receded and the bruises are almost invisible and the skin has re-grown, happy to have done the circuit, I think.

In fact, with a drop of Mount Gay, or maybe a second, may well do it again..........did I really say that?

Allan

Visit site
On our previous crossing we Fort Lauderdale to St Marys on the Isles of Scilly non-stop. There were two of us on a 31ft bilge keel Moody. The skipper put the boat on the market as soon as we got back. I started looking for the next trip. It affects us all in different ways!
Allan

capnsensible

Visit site
Have sailed the eastbound trip five times. Whilst I wouldn't put in a sentence with the word 'favourite' in it, there are some amazing weather sights to see. But lots and lots of grey too.

Do like the Azores though.

Malabarista

Visit site
I've only done it once with the owner and we sailed from St Lucia to Antigua ( without the owner) and he kept her there for many years as a 'hotel'. As we had removed the sails ( at his request) he only ever trundled around the bay under engine. Or so i was told…

Heckler

Visit site
Have sailed the eastbound trip five times. Whilst I wouldn't put in a sentence with the word 'favourite' in it, there are some amazing weather sights to see. But lots and lots of grey too.

Do like the Azores though.

That is exactly how I imagine it to be, also given the fact the it's the "end of me 'ols" the mind set wouldn't be too good!
Stu

asteven221

Visit site
Thanks for the replies. Out of interest, why is that a lot of people say that when you get back the boat needs a refit and/or new sails and suffers what they imply is excessive wear & tear. Obviously if there are storms than I can see the problems, but if the weather behaves itself and given that the ARC is about 4 weeks, I find it strange that boats seems to fall apart in that time. Ok I know that they have to get to the start line and also they have to get back but still.....?

The longest we have lived on our boat is 6 weeks and it certaibly didn't need a refit after that period. Do ocean sailors play hammer throwing in the cabin or something like that to pass the time? Nearly all our boats sail a heck of lot longer than the time it takes to do an Atlanic circuit without needing a refit, so what am I missing here? Having no experience of crossing oceans, I am interested to learn from those that have done it.

GHA

Visit site
Thanks for the replies. Out of interest, why is that a lot of people say that when you get back the boat needs a refit and/or new sails and suffers what they imply is excessive wear & tear. Obviously if there are storms than I can see the problems, but if the weather behaves itself and given that the ARC is about 4 weeks, I find it strange that boats seems to fall apart in that time. Ok I know that they have to get to the start line and also they have to get back but still.....?

The longest we have lived on our boat is 6 weeks and it certaibly didn't need a refit after that period. Do ocean sailors play hammer throwing in the cabin or something like that to pass the time? Nearly all our boats sail a heck of lot longer than the time it takes to do an Atlanic circuit without needing a refit, so what am I missing here? Having no experience of crossing oceans, I am interested to learn from those that have done it.

Not just the passages but the tropical sun can be hard on anything. Depends how tough th boat was in the first plac

Heckler

Visit site
Not just the passages but the tropical sun can be hard on anything. Depends how tough th boat was in the first plac

Ive noticed the UV is giving hood stitching hell, the polish doesnt last as long, the rain drops saharah sand on the boat which creeps everywhere in to the seams.
Stu

Members online

No members online now.