Yachting clothing

lustyd

Visit site
That wasn't personal. Old men shouting at clouds is a very common phrase. I also don't know your gender.

st599

Visit site
My main gripe with Musto is that they changed their sizing. The arms on their jackets seem to be kids sizes. Jacket fits perfectly around the waist and chest, arms so tight you can't move.

They seem to forget that sailors winch things and have ar muscles.

justanothersailboat

Visit site
That video is definitely trying too hard to sell the other product.

The big brands' focus on fashion sales is just their response to market forces. Some people do do remarkably cold wet kinds of sailing and regularly need to ask a lot from their kit. Far more people like to dress the part (take a look at the Solent on a day when the average bloke on the Medway is wearing an old T-shirt) so companies respond to their willingness to spend. The RYA apparently having hired my old nan to write their advice on weather exposure ("I can see you haven't got three layers on under that coat! You'll catch your death!") probably also helps sell a lot of kit to users who rarely make big demands of it.

The modern revival in popularity of "old man yells at cloud" is, ironically, driven by a pop culture reference more likely to be understood by the relatively young!

capnsensible

Visit site
Really, this comes down just to personal taste. And actual requirements. All the boats I sail have water coming at you like a fire hydrant. I’ll pay what it takes to remain comfortable.
Just this morning out on a speedboat I got splashed a couple of times at 25 knots. My t shirt got a bit damp but my shorts were fine.

Snowgoose-1

Visit site
Slight thread drift alarm.
Drainpipe trousers are back ! It had to happen at some time.
Read closely before ordering online.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
Isn’t that the idea we are given choice but in reality it’s just a pretend choice to make us feel we are grown up and making a choice😏
Not really as in virtually everything there is diversity be it in the depths of pockets ( or shortness of arms for some) or views on life and everything and it will dictate what choice people make in purchases such as boats and sailing gear. For some it will be logically and rightly determined by their disposable income at the other end of the spectrum will be those that must have the latest and "best" regardless and somewhere in-between will be those that are convinced that enough greaseproof paper and reused polythene bags are far better than the likes of Musto etc who are just out to skin poor yachtsmen of their last beer tokens.

steveeasy

Visit site
Hold on, you lot are talking up all these brands but no mention of Gill?. I paid an awful lot of money for my OS1 or 2 jacket and that was in a sale!!. R you saying I’ve bought a lemon. Seriously a lot on money.

Steveeasy

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
Hold on, you lot are talking up all these brands but no mention of Gill?. I paid an awful lot of money for my OS1 or 2 jacket and that was in a sale!!. R you saying I’ve bought a lemon. Seriously a lot on money.

Steveeasy
There are as has been pointed out several brands of "modern" sailing wear some are more popular than others.

lustyd

Visit site

Steveeasy
from what I can tell you bought the only UK brand left that's not been bought out. Can't comment on the quality as it doesn't have the right label so never tried it ;)

steveeasy

Visit site
For some very strange reason my wife started buying Gill 80s sailing gear for me from some cheap online second hand site. Kept telling her politely It was shite but did not stop her. I’ve a full set of Howards way sailing gear now including hat and gloves, jacket(bit like a shell suite). It’s diplomatically stored in a box too far out of reach to use. It’s dreadful gear but the thought was nice😀
Steveeasy