Yachting clothing

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
It's not been any different here, 4 season per day at the moment, yesterday was 16c, today it's getting to 28c
After 22 knots yesterday, I’m at home, indefinitely postponed today. It's already quite warm. My gear today, if we go, will be UV protective top, shorts, hat, sunglasses. It’s not all about waterproofs. Though now I think about it, it mostly is.🤣

harvey38

Visit site
Someone saw a business with a good return on investment, yotties liked what was on the rails in the chandler's and everyone is happy.

No different to the motorcycle clothing industry.

People like to look good, feel good and protected from whatever their chosen sport comes their way.

Snowgoose-1

Visit site
The Guy Cotten stuff you see commercial fisherman wear is about £200 now for top and bottom . I bought mine about 15 years ago and still going strong. You still sweat if you move around though. I would like to own the designer stuff but for the sailing I do now I would rather buy a gizmo .

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
The Guy Cotten stuff you see commercial fisherman wear is about £200 now for top and bottom . I bought mine about 15 years ago and still going strong. You still sweat if you move around though. I would like to own the designer stuff but for the sailing I do now I would rather buy a gizmo .
Whatever is most useful to you. I don’t see my gear as designer clothing. It might be that, I guess, if I didn’t sail. It’s a bit white and crusty this morning, not the appearance you might want for designer wear. But it’s not about the brand name. It’s what fits, and keeps you comfortable in sometimes very trying conditions.

Daydream believer

Visit site
I recall crewing the polar series at Burnham back in the 80s. Posh kit was really becoming the norm & our skipper made the comment about how a couple of race crews had matching kit. They looked quite flash on priors ramp waiting for the launch to go to their boats.
So one week; One of the crew turned up in a 3/4 length pastic mack & wellington boots & I wore a duffle coat ( Complete with toggles) & a length of rope round the waist to tie it in. Went well with my yellow wellies.
Don, the owner went loopy about the look of us. I just said " Sorry Don, too cold for thermal gear. This is duffle coat weather now"
Actually that duffle coat was really warm & if he had not moaned so much, I would have worn it for the rest of the series.
I now wear my second set of Mustos. The first I won from them in a competition. The second I bought in Holland when I got fed up with them leaking & I decided to blow 900 euros on a new set 10 years ago.. Seems a lot, but they work & there is no point buying carp that does not.. I have a set of Gill (£250) for walking ashore, but they are not up to the quality of the Mustos when the going gets a bit rough or cold.

Last edited:

srm

Visit site
Posh kit was really becoming the norm & our skipper made the comment about how a couple of race crews had matching kit.
I was running a skippered charter business early 80's. Came in to harbour at the end of a weekend sail in wet windy weather and secured alongside a Scandinavian visitor. Crew all headed off home. Scandinavian crew member complimented me on my crews' matching gear and assumed we were a competitive sailing team. They all worked for the same company and were wearing their work issue PVC waterproofs.

DanTribe

Visit site
In my early cruising days ex WD surplus shops were my chandlers, so, garden wellies, fire brigade leggings and builders donkey jacket.
I'm now old enough to wear Breton cap, fisherman's smock and red neckerchief with pink trousers. But I don't!

onesea

Visit site
The Breton cap is a good choice on cold sunny days if you have no hair on top.
Sorry to say I fell for this one, they work well in heat as well.
Sadly the one I have is a little bit "captain ish" and I don't wear it in port as I would look like a right.......
Still works better than the armies of Tilly Hats I see about

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
Many years ago I chartered a bout out of Mylor, a group of Germans chartered a Westerly Oceanlord in the next berth, they were all wearing all in one blue thermal suits ( woolly bears for those that know what they are) we christened them the Smurfs.