Wish me luck 2 - of to view 38ft boat in Sweden

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
There are two boards .... both loaded with components ....

I have tried finding what energises the 'box' ..... nothing.

But the multi core cable is connected to a number of switches on the panel - but nothing happens when used !

I suspect the box is a hangover from a previous installation ... but afraid to start disconnecting things !!!
I really admire your patience in tracking this legacy bodgework down, it would drive me mad. I'd be tearing it all out and reinstalling properly!

Refueler

Visit site
I really admire your patience in tracking this legacy bodgework down, it would drive me mad. I'd be tearing it all out and reinstalling properly!

I am concerned about pulling 'woodwork' to get at cable runs ..... and there are so many connections / cables behind that switch panel - its mind boggling !

Yed3ZBDl.jpg

Refueler

Visit site
I think that proves my point! Must be easier (but not cheaper) to tear it all out and start again. Even if I got it working it would always be nagging at me, worry about whether it would fail again at some (presumably awkward) moment.

All the necessary gear I want - except the B&G Depth - is working .. cabin lights, Nav gear ... nav lights (just have to separate mast light from general switch on) ... fridge is working ... engine stuff works ... bilge pump works ... autohelm works ...

What is not working are half the switches on the panel and music system is not connected to speakers ... but those switches have tags that do not translate !! So no idea what they are for.

All the instruments etc. - the multi core cables are opened up behind the panels - so its not possible to say which cable is from which ... you just have red .. blue ... brown ... yellow ... etc wires ...

My thoughts are to soldier on now ... live with what I can sort / have working. Then later during winter maybe have electrician go through it and remove redundant ... sort out real stuff ... AND LABEL LEADS !!

Alex_Blackwood

Visit site
There are two boards .... both loaded with components ....

I have tried finding what energises the 'box' ..... nothing.

But the multi core cable is connected to a number of switches on the panel - but nothing happens when used !

I suspect the box is a hangover from a previous installation ... but afraid to start disconnecting things !!!
Looks like you may be right in that it is a defunct bit of kit. But yes would be nice to know that you are not going to rip it out and then find that something doesn't work. Or leave it in and find that something happens under certain circumstances, alarms for instance start sounding. Can you see what the switches are, or were possibly connected to. Have they got any other wires attached other than from the box? Are they, or have they been, inputs to the box or switching outputs from the box?

Refueler

Visit site
The switches definitely have wires going off somewhere in the depths behind panels .....

What is really niggling me ... are the arrows scribed on the box meaning it has to be orientated .... so that implies directional / axis modes.

Refueler

Visit site
Having spent all this time with her sitting alongside, trying to figure out wiring etc. - we decided to take her out for a two day jaunt. Wind was on the head both out and back ... but we had a few short instances of just sails and she was a greyhound ... accelerating and showing real potential .....

This photo shows the water and you can see not much wind ... we estimated 3 - 5m/s (B&G Wind speed not working) ..... direction was about 50 deg port bow ... Speed was from 5 to 6.2 kts ..... not bad for such slight airs ....

WGq4Pzel.jpg

OJ9WzIll.jpg

And even when squalls with the rain went through (unfortunately dead on the head) - the AH1000 TP did a magnificent job ..... I know its not intended for a boat this size ... but the C38 is light and responsive on rudder ....

GnfGSSll.jpg

Laid table for guests ....

myzcK2Xl.jpg

Refueler

Visit site
OK .. in process of replacing a classic Sailor VHF unit with my spare DSC VHF.

Spare - it was removed from my other boat when I purchased a VHf with internal GPS - removing need for NMEA GPS input.

This VHF will require NMEA GPS input ...

I know - someone will be thinking ... surely take the upgraded VHF for the 38ft boat and put the old VHF back in the 25ft boat - which will spend most of its life on the river after repairs ....

That's fine - but the non GPS radio - I have the Program to clear MMSI - so I can reset to the new boat. The GPS radio - I cannot use the program on it and would be a 3hr drive to dealer ... and then 3hr drive back ...
Apart from the GPS - the two radios are near enough identical.

Previously I mentioned that I have a Garmin GPS antenna on pushpit rail ... I assumed it was connected to the Echomap 92sv ... but as Paul said - its not ... the 92sv has its own GPS internally.
The GPS antenna is a G17N .... and according to manual I downloaded - it sends out NMEA 0183 ....

686ZU6Yl.jpg

I am therefore going to see if it suits the DSC radio I will fit ...

I was going to connect a Beltian module to the radio .. but I can now use that elsewhere.

Refueler

Visit site
Plumped for a new SH GPS1400 in the end ... so that will be fitted.

Further sailing of the boat has shown it has a short genny luff ... by about 30 - 35 cms. This means halyard is too near parallel to the foil .... we have been having trouble furling / unfurling ... and while there was literally no wind in Roja ... we spent an hour investigating.
The furler is a Furlex 200 ... nice unit ... but noted two things :

1. The Halyard diverter has its large C clip missing at bottom. This allows the bottom plastic part to come loose. It may be that any ball bearings there have been lost - will need to check out Furlex info.
2. Genny too short on luff - so needs a pendant to raise the Halyard diverter to avoid wrap .

As regards other items ? The Mainsail is a real heavy cruising laminate .. a real PITA to lower and then stow on boom ... hoping the other main we have is lighter ... as that laminate sail is no good for racing ... its just far too heavy ..... its like truckers tarp !

Refueler

Visit site
OK pulled Transducers today before pressure washer gets to hull !

This is the fwd area with all the 'ducers' ...

UjSjWwcl.jpg

Two aft ones pulled - both stuck with crusty crud ... speed impellor logs ..

Y4y3Oljl.jpg

Cleaned up and plugs put in the 'tubes'.

The one just ahead and on centreline - appears to be depth sounder - fitted to a tube same as a speed log ... metal cased ...

YcPIaIgl.jpg

In all the years of checking boats - this one is a new one on me ... so if anyone sheds light on it - appreciated. I feel quite sure this is the 'ducer' that fed the Seafarer rotary sounder ... so is now redundant - but still nice to know about. Even though believed redundant - I will put back into hull - as I have no sealing plug like the speed logs for it.

On the subject of sealing plugs - they do not have any thareded part .... they are a push fit only .... with only the top o ring actually holding them in.

The Airmar Sonar is fine - I had already topped up the Anti-freeze in it ... (Glycol).

Once weather calms down - will have someone watch display - while spinning impellor on each log to find out which is what etc.

Refueler

Visit site
The plugs are no use without a threaded ring to secure them.

That is my worry .... but they need a good push to actually go fully home. That O ring ...is a tight fit.

They are apparently original supply - so I cannot see a company supplying plugs that do not work ???

Anyway - I have no intention unless absolutely necessary to use 'at sea' ....... even though the pressure they would be holding against is actually a lot less than you imagine.

Its funny actually - as all other 'ducers' I've had / seen - the blanking has been by a cap screwed on with no body in the tube. It did cross my mind as to trying to find suitable caps to screw on instead ...

Refueler

Visit site
I've never encountered a blanking plug where there wasn't a securing ring identical to the transducer's; I wouldn't trust it.

I've been in yachting for over 55 near 60yrs ... and I have never seen this before either.

But lets consider this ... have you ever pulled a 'ducer' while afloat ? When you unscrewed the 'ring' - did the 'ducer' come out due to water pressure ? Even when clean and new ? I have always had to pull them out physically.

If I ever had to use while afloat - it would only be when boat is not in a seaway ... quiet alongside.

I also question why manufacturer considered such OK .. instead of screw caps ?

I still haven't figured out the two smaller senors just ahead of the impellor logs ... maybe the impellor logs are not used for the B&G ? Maybe redundant ... needs two people to test ... one spins the log - other watches display .. or use a video recorder if alone. Also there are two ... likely because as a high performance yacht - she will spend a lot of her time heeled over when sailing. Have to identify how the system copes with that.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
I've been in yachting for over 55 near 60yrs ... and I have never seen this before either.

But lets consider this ... have you ever pulled a 'ducer' while afloat ? When you unscrewed the 'ring' - did the 'ducer' come out due to water pressure ? Even when clean and new ? I have always had to pull them out physically.

If I ever had to use while afloat - it would only be when boat is not in a seaway ... quiet alongside.

I also question why manufacturer considered such OK .. instead of screw caps ?

I still haven't figured out the two smaller senors just ahead of the impellor logs ... maybe the impellor logs are not used for the B&G ? Maybe redundant ... needs two people to test ... one spins the log - other watches display .. or use a video recorder if alone. Also there are two ... likely because as a high performance yacht - she will spend a lot of her time heeled over when sailing. Have to identify how the system copes with that.
I have heard of boats with two sounders switched by a mercury switch when the boat changes tack but never one with two working logs. There have been posts over the years of people putting in a second log when having to change because the hole diameters were different.

Refueler

Visit site
I have heard of boats with two sounders switched by a mercury switch when the boat changes tack but never one with two working logs. There have been posts over the years of people putting in a second log when having to change because the hole diameters were different.

Join the club !

But in fact I can understand that a log would be effected by tack more than a sounder ..... sounders have a decent angle / cone of signal ... but a log relies on clean water flow over it ...

We have the possibility that the blue box is doing the switching .... it explains the orientation marks on it ...