Wish me luck 2 - of to view 38ft boat in Sweden

Refueler

Visit site
As John says .... Baltic boats have the split pulpits - to let you step off over the bow. Its a pain with a typical UK boat as pulpits are usually continuous top rail.

The sail back showed her real function ... she's designed for speed ... at 11.4m to have a beam of 3.0m ..... the keel is not just a fin sticking down ... she's built to race.

There's a neat trick in the saloon. The side divans have seat backs that drop into slots under the shelving. At sea to prevent you rolling out of bunk - you lift the seat back out of its slots and drop into slots in line with inboard edge of divans ... creating a wall ...
The main table swivels on the mast column to one side making access along the cabin spaces very easy.
All set up for long distance stuff.

The two centre keel bolts have special lifting bars bolted to them and a deckhead opening for single strop to pass through .... she is designed to be lifted basically by one strop on her balance point ... strop is in transom locker. I will not be using it ... club has big hydraulic lifter.

OK ... what have we found ?

Small drip near mast column .... think maybe some deck fittings need rebedding ... drip is made to drip there by the fairing panel partly unscrewed.
Keel has a very slight weep .... nothing to write home about ... once lifted for winter - will check.
FW water not pumping through ... new flexi tank fitted last year and they've tried to use one connection to tank for fill and empty ... air getting into pipes when pumping. Need fit valve.
B&G Network displays - Speed and Depth are working - but Tack and Wind are not - its problem at masthead.
Garmin 9 UHD 70 MFD less than a year old has a mind of its own sometimes .... switch on and screen is world map style with no detail .. even though its saying GPS accuracy etc. Then suddenly it will change and display all chart data. Given the seller was a very casual guy about the boat - Marina was contracted to look after it ... I think lack of use leading to dodgy contact of card maybe.
Half the switch panel does not work - but as far as I can tell - many are from old original installed gear which was removed when insurance paid for repairs ....Nice panel - so I will repurpose switches ....
She has 4 batterys of 75 A/hr each ... 1 is just spare under the nav seat. 3 are in boxes under stbd aft bunk ... where 2 are parallel for engine (?) and 3rd is single for domestics ... seems a bit strange to me ... would have preferred 2 for domestics..... as she has a built in refridgerator. Engine batts on one key .... domestics on another key.
She has no mains on board at all - she has a 40W solar ahead of mast and a single controller. Haven't figured out how that's charging all 3 batts yet !

OK - the one item that drive us nuts before we started journey home. Toilet kept filling up after pumping out. We couldn't figure out what was causing it ... looked for strange valves ... finally found that because she has a combo system .... toilet goes to a holding tank ... holding tank can be pump out - or flush to sea. Basically the waste tank was full and back filling the toilet .... we emptied tank ... found the hidden valve and shut it off ... Bingo.

Furling line is too large diameter - guy used small self tacker so never had full drum. We put on the No 1 genny and drum had problem with the line ... easy fix ... go down one size in line.

Various rigging bits were poorly made - reckon guy had mast stepped recently and hadn't checked yard work ... examples of silly bits >> we had to 'unwind' topping lift from running backstay ... remove one shackle where two had been used instead of finding out why ....

Autopilot mount plate has pulled the screw threads so we couldn't use the AP ... easy fix with thread inserts.

Many of you guys will read above and know as I - that really these are not so serious and for a boat built in 1986 ... par for the course.

Of course there will be updates as we work through the gear ......... AND get her into a few trial races .....

Yes - I would still buy her knowing what I know now. :)

Supertramp

Visit site
Good luck with her - that sounds like a normal list of stuff for a boat that size and age. She already looks good.

Hope your other one mends ok - better to be hurt in action than dying of dilapidation.

Concerto

Visit site
There's a neat trick in the saloon. The side divans have seat backs that drop into slots under the shelving. At sea to prevent you rolling out of bunk - you lift the seat back out of its slots and drop into slots in line with inboard edge of divans ... creating a wall ...
I have exactly the same on my Fulmar. On Concerto there are slot blocks for a sea berth and for storage along the bunk front if you do not want to use either.

Refueler

Visit site
Congratulations Nigel I hope she gives you a lot of pleasure. I really enjoy all the photos and video. Well done ol'will

I do try to give a bit different postings .... gets a bit boring reading about batterys .... solar .... VSR's etc.

I have plenty more to come ... Superanne gets lifted this morning - so should have some uploads from that later today.

I am sure this addition to my 'fleet' will give a lot of pleasure ! Cheers

Refueler

Visit site
Good luck with her - that sounds like a normal list of stuff for a boat that size and age. She already looks good.

Hope your other one mends ok - better to be hurt in action than dying of dilapidation.

Superanne has seen me through storms and times you wish to be ashore .... with never a bad result. 30 odd years of ownership - I don't care how much it costs to repair .... she is part of the 'family' .....
When looking for another boat - the thought of selling Superanne never a serious thought. She has a future as my boat on the river .... wide, deep and many km's with islands etc. to satisfy that 'itch' when not out in Baltic.

Even Wife who is not a boaty person ... did not want Superanne sold. She loves on the river but will not go to sea.

Refueler

Visit site
Ok .... got to bottom of failed FW system ....

Yesterday - I emptied the tank into the keel space as there's a bilge pump there .... simple aquarium pump into the tank ..... with pipe into keel space ...

Today I go to boat - flexi tank is full again. ????? Tasted water .... slight brackish taint.

Yard who fitted the 100ltr flexi tank ...... must have just T'd into the first pipe they found ... which in fact is not the FW filling line ... but the Seawater galley line ... so the tank was basically filling up from the seawater inlet.

Trace again lines .... lot of pipes as the old cabin heater pipes are still throughout boat ... but identified FW line. Its difficult to trace because various spaces under bunks have been filled with expanding foam ...
We find that old FW tank is stainless steel and in fact so far in good order ... so confused why have the flexi tank ? We searched under the forecabin sole before and saw a large stainless steel construction. Assumed it was one large waste tank ... as bog pipes went to one side of it. But in fact its two tanks sitting beside each other of same but flipped shape / size ... portside is waste .. stbd is FW.
Because we would need to dismantle so much to re-route filler pipe to flexi tank ... we now have situation of original tank fills from deck ... that then flows to the flexi tank which is T'd into the FW line to galley.

OK - so now we have FW sorted .... not best - but at least OK for now. Test pump ... spurts but then we notice water going to keel space under the teak sole each time TMC galley foot pump operated ...... out with pump ... blanking pipes of course !
Diaphragms shot .... so water gushes out where operating arm enters pump body.

Checked online - no spares found ... but a shop in Greece has new pump in stock ... that's now on its way.

It may sound crazy - but I am sort of enjoying the detective work to sort .... but the switch panel - which is next is not one area I enjoy. Its original panel and only a few switches seem to do anything ....

252480fl.jpg

Note the old Depth Sounder and VHF .... classics !!

But she has B&G Network gear on hatch garage .. speed and depth work ... but wind displays don't - looks like masthead connection fault.

lS6dB98l.jpg

One of the old Nautech Autopilots (mount base needs refastening before use) ...

2q2u3pXl.jpg

I mentioned her keel before ..... not your typical slab fin ....

Tp414a6l.jpg

Refueler

Visit site
That dreaded bit where you have to identify unknown bits of kit and previous owner had no clue either !! Fitted by yard and ......

Behind the switch panel and sitting orientated as marked on case ... (here lifted out to photo) - I wonder if its anything to do with the B&G Network gear as it has orientation arrows on the case ... indicating it references vertical and heading axis .... B&G gear on board had TACK and WIND separate displays.

9CxBeVfl.jpg

dT95PxFl.jpg

Z9jKxcil.jpg

q6oCsgel.jpg

Hxzed0Nl.jpg

This is connected to it on main cable ..

bAprCiOl.jpg

ZMFVCrGl.jpg

And the wiring jungle is shares space with ...

D3dI81Ll.jpg

and back of panel ...

ihoia9Cl.jpg

Wiring is the biggest hate of mine on boats as its trying to trace which wire does what ..... doubly difficult here as half are not working ...

Wansworth

Visit site
That dreaded bit where you have to identify unknown bits of kit and previous owner had no clue either !! Fitted by yard and ......

Behind the switch panel and sitting orientated as marked on case ... (here lifted out to photo)

9CxBeVfl.jpg

dT95PxFl.jpg

Z9jKxcil.jpg

q6oCsgel.jpg

Hxzed0Nl.jpg

This is connected to it on main cable ..

bAprCiOl.jpg

ZMFVCrGl.jpg

And the wiring jungle is shares space with ...

D3dI81Ll.jpg

and back of panel ...

ihoia9Cl.jpg

Wiring is the biggest hate of mine on boats as its trying to trace which wire does what ..... doubly difficult here as half are not working ...
I start from scratch

Refueler

Visit site
Autopilot mount .... the screws were loose and we could not use the AP when bringing boat over ....

I assumed that like many silly boaters - the machine screws were wound into the GRP and lost thread. So today I decide to have a go at it, on way to boat - I buy a handful of thread inserts to use. When removing last machine screw - I hear a sound ... after climbing into the transom locker .... i find the nuts and the full circular metal backing plate ... have fallen and of course nuts disappeared into the dark depths ....

Go to shop ... they are UNF bolts of course and I live in a metric location .... bought replacement metric machine screws - but guess what ... I forgot to buy the bl***y nuts !!!

Refueler

Visit site
Seller said that the cabin heating unit had been removed. The 'radiators' in main cabin along the bunk fronts still in place though.

While moving gear that seller had put on board - viola - "Propane ?" fueled heating unit STILL mounted and connected ....

cmKdaeZl.jpg

Now have to try and find a manual for it ...

If anyone can help identify it by this hard to get good angle photo of the label on it ... please !!

O13u2whl.jpg

BabaYaga

Visit site
A google search for the term ’AGA-pannan’ will generate a lot of content concerning this old boat/caravan heater from the 70s - mostly in Swedish.
No personal experience.