Wish me luck 2 - of to view 38ft boat in Sweden

ChromeDome

Commonly in Denmark. Dizzy Too, most of the time.
Visit site
I'd plan from scratch. Your requirements may well be met by something simpler, safer and more efficient than an old AGA panna.
Gas calls for a lot of respect, as you know.

People who realize that they need warmth when on shore power only can make nice, cost-effective solutions by fitting electric panels and/or fans.

Else:

Something for you here?
Renovering och installation av värmare
---
deepl.com for translation if not capable of Swedish.

Refueler

Visit site
Thought some would like to see the lifting setup for the 38 .....

lFUiuGkl.jpg

Two keel bolts that straddle the design CoG have pin brackets to suit a purpose designed sling supplied with the boat. Even after so many years - the sling is still on board ... it now cushions the anchor in the transom locker !

In the cabin deckhead and deck over - there are blanking plates for the single strop to pass through. Just to assure readers - I shall not be using such arrangement ..... I think I shall go normal two sling lift !! Just means pulling the two transducers just ahead of keel.

Here's the whole keel setup -

aucq8BZl.jpg

Its possible that the keel joint is weeping as I have to pump out the keel space after a number of days ... its a 1986 boat ... already discussing with a yard for end of season lift - drop keel - rebed - refasten.
Till then I can live with it ...

The keel profile can just be made out here from sellers photo from last winter storage :

mDayoGZl.jpg

As can be seen - its not just a fin ... its hydro-dynamic design. Difficult to discern from the photo - but careful look gives impression of a joint at an angle below the shadow area .... basically being the lead bulb to stub we believe.

CImWFf2l.jpg

Expanding the image - we see what appears to be three 'pads' which are thought to cover the stud ends. Its possible looking at those - the water may be seeping in there ... till we lift - we will not know.

Last edited:

penfold

Visit site
Its possible that the keel joint is weeping as I have to pump out the keel space after a number of days ... its a 1986 boat ... already discussing with a yard for end of season lift - drop keel - rebed - refasten.
Not impossible, but I'd be eliminating deck leaks as a possibility first before mucking about with keel bolts, especially as the pictures don't suggest a disturbed hull/keel joint.

Refueler

Visit site
Not impossible, but I'd be eliminating deck leaks as a possibility first before mucking about with keel bolts, especially as the pictures don't suggest a disturbed hull/keel joint.

The amount of water that collects does not vary with rainfall .... which I would expect with deck leaks. In fact last few days we have had torrential rain in so many directions - that I would expect it to show up ... but amount of 'keel water' has been less.
There are drops that do seep through deck fittings ... we think the mast cable fittings through deck is the culprit as its bound up with tape ... plus the 'Tannoy Vents' drip occasionally ..... but definitely not enough to collect so much.

The amount of water collected over eg a 4 day stint can vary from 5lt to 20lt .... there does not seem to be any logic to it.

What we find hard to understand is how water can be collecting as the keel bolts come right up under the cabin sole ... not deep down like some. Yard is suggesting a 'vigil' on board ... pump out .. mop out till keel space is fully dry ... then watch for water ..... which looks like the only way to find out ...

Obviously I would prefer not to disturb the keel .... but ??

Tranona

Visit site
The amount of water that collects does not vary with rainfall .... which I would expect with deck leaks. In fact last few days we have had torrential rain in so many directions - that I would expect it to show up ... but amount of 'keel water' has been less.
There are drops that do seep through deck fittings ... we think the mast cable fittings through deck is the culprit as its bound up with tape ... plus the 'Tannoy Vents' drip occasionally ..... but definitely not enough to collect so much.

The amount of water collected over eg a 4 day stint can vary from 5lt to 20lt .... there does not seem to be any logic to it.

What we find hard to understand is how water can be collecting as the keel bolts come right up under the cabin sole ... not deep down like some. Yard is suggesting a 'vigil' on board ... pump out .. mop out till keel space is fully dry ... then watch for water ..... which looks like the only way to find out ...

Obviously I would prefer not to disturb the keel .... but ??
I suspect it is from leaks and just taking time to find its way down to the sump. if that photo of the keel is what it looks like now there is no evidence of failure of the keel/hull joint - nor even exactly where it is. That is the only way water can get in from the sea.

Refueler

Visit site
Trouble is at present I am overloaded with work ... my estate is having fencing and discussions with next property as his fence line is outside project limits ... other boat keel repairs .... plus all sorts of other stuff going on ...

World of shipping is going nuts at moment ...

Refueler

Visit site
OK ... had to go into town - so decided to have a go at the boat as well .....

Surprisingly small amount of water today despite the torrential rain and storm weather ...

Pumped out the small amount and then decided to lift the pump - to see why Auto switch was not working ......... its an SPX pump and electro switch ... test by placing two fingers on small pads ... intermittent ... seems to be having trouble .... but pump is fine on manual ...

BUT when lifting it out - the pipe came apart .... there is a daft joint in pipe hidden under the fixed cabin sole ... so after cleaning pump / switch / pipe ... I managed to re-join the pipe ... while straining under there - looked as best as possible ... and noted that staining on the grp around that area ..... so I think that may be the culprit ....
Traced the pipe to the sink overboard - which generally stays open ....

The bilge pipe has a non-return valve at the pump - the pipe rises up side of sink to provide height against backflow.

.... here you can see pump head in bottom of space ... with care you can also see the Electro auto switch box mounted on the pump side...

C2mPof6l.jpg

Here's the 'daft' pipe under the sole (had to manoeuvre phone in to get picture ...

mYRal4ml.jpg

Under that red / black wires - is a push on joint that is impossible to get a jubilee clip onto .... its hard enough to fit the other one !!

But look under the joint and you see the staining - which indicates water leakage ....

The auto switch is not working properly ... so I am considering how to solve ... maybe replace the whole pump with a Seaflow combined unit ...

The sink overboard is accessed via a hand hole under the galley ....

cZr6wpol.jpg

The fridge compressor can just be seen behind the panel.

Refueler

Visit site
Been digging into under bunks ... cubby holes .... tool drawer ....

Stuff that's coming out ....

Rigging tensiometer ... something that I have never needed .... its the two metal bar type with heavy duty sprung setup ...

A large tray box full of various stainless self tappers ... all of size not so useful !!!!

A genoa sock .... yes - one of those awful furled genny covers that haul up on a halyard. That will be carefully folded and put away in a far off corner ...

I mentioned the Garmin 2006C .....

LVotEd7l.jpg

As regards my ongoing troubles with chasing electric cable runs .... I was under the cockpit in the aft bunk area and looked up ..... and noted the wood panelling looked removable ...

YB15Btyl.jpg

These are both sides of boat out to underdeck ... there are pipe conduits behind them as far as I can tell.

Having lifted out the aft bunk 'matresses' .... I found a nice touch - which I hear is original builders item ... the bunk base and access panels to under bunk stowage are all lined with light carpet.... all neatly trimmed, hemmed and fitted.

Lif6wRpl.jpg

Its only for the aft bunk base though ... main and fore cabin do not have it.

Refueler

Visit site
I am in the process of refitting the Tiller Pilot pin mount to the cockpit side .... means a tight squeeze into the transom locker to get hand up and put the backing plate / nuts on the bolts ... a two man job as then someone has to then hold the screws ....

What happened ? While bringing the boat over from Sweden - we mounted the Tiller Pilot - but it would not keep good course - then we noted the pin mount was loose .... causing the TP to read it as tiller had moved.
When TP was lifted off ... it then became obvious the nuts had fallen off inside ! Lost under the locker base board.

The TP is the old Autohelm (nice forumite sent me manual for it ... many thanks) that has a piston rod and separate compass rose controller that clips into place in cockpit.

s-l1600.jpg

I'm not overly happy with it TBH ... but my other boat has two TP's ... an AH800 and an AH1000 .... the AH800 is more than capable of steering the 25ft'r ... and the AH1000 is rated to 10.5m / 4.5tons .... so I'm confident that for general cruising - it can handle the Conq 38 (11.4m and 5T) ... its actually light on the helm when setup .... but of course for heavy weather / racing - its not viable.
The AH1000 being a one piece unit is far simpler to use ...
The TP on board had the 20cm extension piece that the AH1000 needed ... so once Pin mount is refitted - testing will be made !

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
Genny socks are a matter of taste. Ours is little hassle, and is additional security against both UV and the jib coming unfurled in a big breeze when we’re not on board. We take it with us on trips, but only used if we’re not sailing the next day.

jlavery

Visit site
Thought some would like to see the lifting setup for the 38 .....

lFUiuGkl.jpg

Two keel bolts that straddle the design CoG have pin brackets to suit a purpose designed sling supplied with the boat. Even after so many years - the sling is still on board ... it now cushions the anchor in the transom locker !

In the cabin deckhead and deck over - there are blanking plates for the single strop to pass through. Just to assure readers - I shall not be using such arrangement ..... I think I shall go normal two sling lift !! Just means pulling the two transducers just ahead of keel.

Here's the whole keel setup -

aucq8BZl.jpg

The keel profile can just be made out here from sellers photo from last winter storage :

mDayoGZl.jpg

As can be seen - its not just a fin ... its hydro-dynamic design. Difficult to discern from the photo - but careful look gives impression of a joint at an angle below the shadow area .... basically being the lead bulb to stub we believe.

CImWFf2l.jpg

Expanding the image - we see what appears to be three 'pads' which are thought to cover the stud ends. Its possible looking at those - the water may be seeping in there ... till we lift - we will not know.
Interesting stuff (and lovely boat).

Similar lifting arrangement to Swedens. Single ring and hole in saloon roof. Need the boat to be well balanced! We use slings. People who do use single point carry their own strop.

20230814_085336.jpg

20230814_085420.jpg

Refueler

Visit site
Yep .... in the transom locker is the strop for the single lift ....

Only disadvantage of using the usual two strop lift - I need to pull the speed logs out that are just ahead either side of keel. Yes it has two transducers ....