Wintering nea Sardinia

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
Any suggestions.

I've emailed Cagliari & Alghero (poss. same owners) but no reply at all to either email. Response from Fertililia was rather Spartan, no mention of lift & wash costs plus fact that living on boat and doing own work out of the question.

My requirements are :
Jeanneau 42DS afloat for a week or so before and after lift
Stay on boat in yard for a few nights after lift out and before launch
Allowed to do own work on boat (e.g. anodes, anti-foul etc.)
Not silly prices
Reasonable security

I asked in Elba and "quote" was a bit confusing but think it was about 4,500 euro for 6 months excluding time afloat and not allowed to stay on boat in yard or do own work.

I did hear of a reasonable yard in Cagliari but was told it was so basic we wouldn't want to stay.

All we really need to stay on the hard is a nearby loo, water hose and a drain (we run sink into a large container and empty regularly). Electricity would be good for a few days but batteries are OK on solar over winter when boat is empty.

Not keen to nip down to Sicily as we haven't covered Sardinia yet.

Twhitt

Visit site
we have been looking at Sardinia to over winter a Bavaria 38 (11.95m) currently in South of France.

Have had quotes from email request's from the following:

Aquatica Marina Alghero
Base Nautica Usai
Marina Fertillia
Castelsardo
Marina Arabata

All quotes are for 1 October to 31 May 2017, and have been in same ballpark of 1,500 - 2,000 Euro.

We were leaning towards Castelsardo which is a well protected marina with both floating and hard area, and Aquatica in Alghero, which was the cheapest, but think we are going to leave where she is at Port Gapeau neat Hyeres now till May next year, (300 Euro per month), then move to Sardinia for a year. Eventual aim when I retire in 2 years is to sail to Greece :)

macd

Visit site
The marina at navaresse on the east coast,
http://www.portosantamaria-baunei.it/
offer very good winter rates for in the water storage but I dont know about on the hard I guess you would have to contact them.
The winter rate lasts for 8 months (oct to may) but the summer rates are high

I was there for a few days in early October last year. Even the day rates were cheap.
The marina is at the north end of the large bay in which Arbatax lies at the south end.
Pleasant spot, and possibly unique in having rock-climbing as one of its 'facilities' - actually within the marina.
Marina staff very helpful and English spoken, so I imagine would be able to answer the OP's queries.
The adjacent town is quite small and not exactly bustling. For a liveaboard I imagine Alghero would be much more interesting.

Mistroma

www.mistroma.com
Thanks very much guys, always useful to get first hand details. I've read varying reports for one marina in Cagliari saying it's a dump and one night was too long and another saying basic but a good place to winter.

I'll look at the locations suggested and try to get some quotes (assuming I can find email or phone nos. for all of them).

Fertilia said staying on the boat was not allowed and only authorised staff could work on boats. That killed that option immediately.

I'll look up the link to Navaresse and try to find others for Aquatica Marina Alghero, Base Nautica Usai, Castelsardo and Marina Arabata. At least one should meet my needs.

petehitch

googlemail.com
Thanks very much guys, always useful to get first hand details. I've read varying reports for one marina in Cagliari saying it's a dump and one night was too long and another saying basic but a good place to winter.

I'll look at the locations suggested and try to get some quotes (assuming I can find email or phone nos. for all of them).

Fertilia said staying on the boat was not allowed and only authorised staff could work on boats. That killed that option immediately.

I'll look up the link to Navaresse and try to find others for Aquatica Marina Alghero, Base Nautica Usai, Castelsardo and Marina Arabata. At least one should meet my needs.

I would Not recommend Base Nautica Usai and would advise anyone to stay well away. Have always had very good service at Nautica Pinna Bosa

Mistroma

www.mistroma.com
I would Not recommend Base Nautica Usai and would advise anyone to stay well away. Have always had very good service at Nautica Pinna Bosa

Thanks for that, it back up other stories I'd heard. I've seen a couple of bad reports about Base Nautica Usai and had decided not to contact them.

Also read that the area is bad for mozzies and wanted to check that out before deciding.
Probably give this a miss as I also seem to remember another bad report about charging in Fertilia (i.e. Need to get everything in writing and keep receipts to avoid being held to ransom before launch). Can't remember the source or name of the yard, safer to avoid.

Marina Fertillia got back to say it would be OK to stay 1-2 nights on the boat but no longer due to legal problems for marina and boat owner. They confirmed once more that I can't work on the boat. They say it is a requirement regarding "building sites" and insurance. So have given up on Fertilia.

Bosa:
Might have a problem getting to Nautica Pinna as pilot says min. depth in channel is 2.2m. Jeanneau say we draw 2.15m but will be more as we carry a lot of gear. Need to ask the yard about that (unfortunately, many places never admit you won't get in and hope you scrape through). Will email and ask about depth (unless TonyMS or Petehitch have that information)

I'm still following up the other leads, thanks for all the links.

Monique

Visit site
We had a good winter in Marina di Ragusa in Sicily. Much cheaper than anything you quoted and has many fresh water springs in the harbour meaning... no barnies :) VERY SAFE HARBOUR! Leave boat afloat is my suggestion as the yard is more exposed to salt spray than the harbour.

Good liveaboard crowd too.

GL

petehitch

googlemail.com
Thanks for that, it back up other stories I'd heard. I've seen a couple of bad reports about Base Nautica Usai and had decided not to contact them.

Also read that the area is bad for mozzies and wanted to check that out before deciding.
Probably give this a miss as I also seem to remember another bad report about charging in Fertilia (i.e. Need to get everything in writing and keep receipts to avoid being held to ransom before launch). Can't remember the source or name of the yard, safer to avoid.

Marina Fertillia got back to say it would be OK to stay 1-2 nights on the boat but no longer due to legal problems for marina and boat owner. They confirmed once more that I can't work on the boat. They say it is a requirement regarding "building sites" and insurance. So have given up on Fertilia.

Bosa:
Might have a problem getting to Nautica Pinna as pilot says min. depth in channel is 2.2m. Jeanneau say we draw 2.15m but will be more as we carry a lot of gear. Need to ask the yard about that (unfortunately, many places never admit you won't get in and hope you scrape through). Will email and ask about depth (unless TonyMS or Petehitch have that information)

I'm still following up the other leads, thanks for all the links.

Mistroma

www.mistroma.com
We had a good winter in Marina di Ragusa in Sicily. Much cheaper than anything you quoted and has many fresh water springs in the harbour meaning... no barnies :) VERY SAFE HARBOUR! Leave boat afloat is my suggestion as the yard is more exposed to salt spray than the harbour.

Good liveaboard crowd too.

GL

Yes, I've heard it's good. However, we'd like to spend quite a bit of time in Sardinia next year. Easier to stay in Sardinia than go t
South and then return next year. Thanks anyway for the thought.

Mistroma

www.mistroma.com
Just had a quick look at a couple, neither seem to understand exactly what I wanted but getting there.

I want prices for a week afloat, lift, wash, storage, launch and another week or so afloat.

I think Castelsardo only prices afloat and might not have space for me but I don't think that means in the yard, just afloat.

Aquatica were much better with detail but quoted a package for too few months and included antifouling. Quoted monthly storage rate but no idea about charges for lift etc.

I'll get back to them and try to dig out more info + ask in Bosa. I feel that I am making some progress now.

petehitch

googlemail.com
As Carmel says Aquatica would probably use a crane at Fertilia to lift out. I have absolutely no connection with Pinna at Bosa but would recommend as they are very professional, they have their own travel hoist ( 65t ), you can do your own work and no problem to stay on board. It is an easy walk to shops and supermarkets and close to the town of Bosa.

Mistroma

www.mistroma.com
As Carmel says Aquatica would probably use a crane at Fertilia to lift out. I have absolutely no connection with Pinna at Bosa but would recommend as they are very professional, they have their own travel hoist ( 65t ), you can do your own work and no problem to stay on board. It is an easy walk to shops and supermarkets and close to the town of Bosa.

Not keen to use Fertilia. Probably explains why they didn't give rates for lift in/out.

Bosa sounds a better bet so I'll trying to get a quote from them. We have bikes and have been used to cycling uphill to supermarket at Aguadulce, sounds as if Bosa will be easier.