Wintering In Almerimar

chasroberts

Visit site
Had the boat there last winter. They won't take reservations and IMHO are getting a bit full of themselves. The person to speak to about this is Lemain and I'm sure he'll be along shortly. If for some reason he doesn't reply then feel free to PM me for more info.

Chas

chasroberts

Visit site
We got there about the first week in October from memory. We had a bit of a dash as they were saying 'we're nearly full and it's first come first served' etc. Offered to pay for the berth there and then and spend a leisurly week cruising down there but they wouldn't hear of it. We were going out into the boatyard for the winter and once we'd arrived it was all hustle, hustle to get us out of the water as soon as possible 'or there'd be no space left'. You're measured including their idea of how thick your fenders are which was also annoying as it took us up a category and so cost more than planned. Security is poor, especiallly in the varadero (boat yard) and we ended up being broken into along with a number of other boats and about £3K of gear went missing. On the other hand there is a good liveaboard community there who do look out for each other and plenty going on during the winter. It was cheaper than other places but prices were due to go up so not sure of costs now. There are plenty of good places to eat/drink in the Marina but everywhere else is a bus ride. There is a good Mercadonna supermarket opposite Darsena 2 which is great for supplies etc etc

Just niggling little complaints I know but overall left a bit of a bad taste in the mouth if you know what I mean. Are you planning on leaving the boat there or living aboard?

Chas

A

Anonymous

[ QUOTE ]
The person to speak to about this is Lemain and I'm sure he'll be along shortly.

[/ QUOTE ]You rang?
[ QUOTE ]
Had the boat there last winter. They won't take reservations and IMHO are getting a bit full of themselves.

[/ QUOTE ] Do we know each other? - If so 'hi' and if not, 'hi' anyway /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Practically no marina from Cadiz to Barcelona will take advance reservations. Yacht club marinas are more likely to, if they have room, but they are less likely to have room.

The last two winters have not been a problem getting in but it depends on the size of your boat. The 15m berths are in short supply and you might get bumped up to an 18m. Also, Aguadulce have increased their prices making Almerimar more attractive.

We find it a good wintering place with a good community and all services including an excellent supermarket (Mercadona) and a British shop (NZ lamb, and other goodies you can't get in Spanish stores). It is also close to Almeria airport and Malaga is not too far.

I don't really know what you mean by being full of themselves - did you have a problem with the tower? We have not yet had a problem and have spent two winters here - they seem to provide everything they contract to provide to a very high standard. Almost never do we get a power cut. The wifi is unusable, though, it is provided by an outside company, and should be avoided. Competitors are entering the market, locally, so maybe things will improve.

chasroberts

Visit site
Hi again.

Most of my probs were with the hard standing and their methods of working and charges. They took my mast down to do some work and charged me a separate space for it. Despite instructions to the contrary didn't restep the mast until about three days before we arrived back. Total bill for the mast alone for the winter was pushing €1,000! Whilst left unstepped all winter, combi tricolour/anchor light was nicked as well etc. etc

Don't get me wrong I am not against either the place or anyone in particular and probably suffered a worse than normal experience whilst there, but so did a number of others at the same time. Almerimar does have a lot going for it as a wintering place but it ain't no idyllic-crime-free-Utopia type of place (and I'm not intending to be cynical). There are problems but I think I tried to give a balanced response. Please feel free to disagree, I won't be offended.

Best Regards

Chas

BlueSkyNick

Visit site
I would generally agree with Lemain.

We have just bought a boat which has been resident in Almerimar for the past couple of years, and the previous owners have moved into a flat ashore for health reasons.

we have made 4 weekend visits during the past winter and just had a week on board prior to Easter.

We have met quite a few of the liveaboards, many of whom work on boats. The local chandlery is short on stock but Spencer goes out of his way to be helpful and will always order stuff, often at only 24hours delivery.

One thing you should know is that it seems to be a very quiet place in the winter. We have eaten ashore in the evenings and the restaurants have been empty, with very little or zero 'buzz' about the place. Having said that, I know that people who are living there eitehr aboard or ashore also have a very good social circle.

There is a radio net at 1000 every day except Sunday, which we found very useful for local information, weather forecasts, and 'treasures of the bilge' where bits are sold, bought, borrowed etc.

The marina fees are relatviely cheap - we just paid 230E for a month extension. It is quite sheltered, depending which berth you have.

Hope this helps

BlueSkyNick

Visit site
I had problems with the 'method of working' in the yard too, mainly because I was dealing remotely via an intermediary. I found that once I spent some time working out who's who, and the local politics, it was much easier to get things done by actually being there in person.

A

Anonymous

Ah, that explains it, maybe. The boatyard has a reputation for being bloody minded (or one particular person, the boatyard manager, has). Yes, there have been thefts both in the boatyard and in the marina - Indeed, Lecher's yacht was victim of daylight robbery before he bought it - someone boarded the boat in broad daylight and stole the tender, outboard and wind generator /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif (Which were all replaced by brand new items on insurance before Lecher bought it).

As I write, this is the first time I have personally experienced the boatyard services - we are now on the hard having hauled yesterday (Friday 13th). So far I have been very pleasantly surprised - even the miserable old git who drives the crane was pleasant(-ish). The marinero turned up to do the antifoul for me and generally it has been hassle free. However, I will report back when we are back in the water and I have had the bill!!

You can do a lot worse than Almerimar but it isn't the only place to winter - it comes down to what you are looking for. It suits us, but it might not suit others so well.

cliffb

Visit site
Lemain. Do you winter aboard - on the hard? And if so... isn't that just too uncomfortable? I know of folk who have done it... but it seems a poor idea to me. It's bad enough in a marina... timing ones ablutions <spelling?> to include the walk to the ablutery.

A

Anonymous

Good grief no! It's not allowed here anyway. We were out on Friday and due to launch on Tuesday and that's quite long enough for us! They allow you stay aboard for up to a week on the hard, and they do provide showers in the boatyard.

It's OK to camp here for a short period and the alternative is between €50 to €100 per night, which is a silly way to spend our money, we think. We do have electricity.

A

Anonymous

Update - The issue of security in the boatyard has been raised. We have now been staying on board out of the water in the boatyard for three days, including Saturday and Sunday. Throughout the weekend the marineros have ridden round the whole boatyard on a scooter every hour or so, looking carefully round all the boats for signs of suspicious activity. I am most impressed.