Mast climbing with climbing gear

dunedin

Visit site
BTW, when I posted the video and described the equipment, that was not to say I would use the method on a boat. It's really for longer climbs. I use simpler methods. But the video demonstrates that a pro sailor with a 100' mast might use the method. It is safer when getting tossed around.
Some of the “pro sailors” cant the keel the wrong way and walk up the mainsail. But perhaps not an option for most old YBW foggies. :)

DanTribe

Visit site
No comment!
Whatever method its cummin down that's the problem.
When climbing single handed using my gear, I take a separate line up, attach it the "top" (any handy secure point) and abseil down.
I read a report of a guy who got his wife to hoist him up the mast using an electric sheet winch.
His final comment was, "make sure she knows how to clear a riding turn!"

dunedin

Visit site
I read a report of a guy who got his wife to hoist him up the mast using an electric sheet winch.
His final comment was, "make sure she knows how to clear a riding turn!"
Applies equally to a manual winch, which can also get a riding turn. Unlike a genoa winch, at least generally have a stopper immediately in front of a halyard winch.
And before somebody leaps in with the “never use an electric winch, in case motor jams on”, our rule is simply keep the stopper on and never use the self trailer if winching up mast. Then can stop ascent by releasing tension, in the once in a million that the motor jams on.

thinwater

sail-delmarva.blogspot.com
Applies equally to a manual winch, which can also get a riding turn. Unlike a genoa winch, at least generally have a stopper immediately in front of a halyard winch.
And before somebody leaps in with the “never use an electric winch, in case motor jams on”, our rule is simply keep the stopper on and never use the self trailer if winching up mast. Then can stop ascent by releasing tension, in the once in a million that the motor jams on.

Accident with electric winch while hoisting. Obviously this is very rare, but I'm guessing this is the one Dan Tribe was hinting at:

----

1721306765415.png

Lewmar safety Notice:
On 5 March 2011, an accident occurred aboard a 2006 Amel 54 in Jolly Harbour Marina, Antigua while carrying out the lifting operation of a crew member using a self-tailing winch. Currently, an investigation is underway.

Safety is of paramount importance to Lewmar and, in advance of the outcome of the investigation and as part of our ongoing commitment to operational safety, we would like to remind owners of Lewmar manual and electrically-operated winches of the following key points from the Lewmar Electric 40-77 & Hydraulic 46-111 Winches Manual, Sections 2.1 and 6.1:

• Under no circumstances should any self tailing winch be used in self tailing mode for any lifting operation; rather suitable and adequate manual tailing should be arranged with proper means of manually cleating or stopping the hoist.
• Isolate the winch using circuit breaker/isolator when not in use.
• Only persons who are completely familiar with the controls and those who have been fully made aware of the correct use of the winch should be allowed to use it.
• It is the unavoidable responsibility of the owner or master or other responsible party to asses the risk of any operation on the vessel

All safety notices are available in the relevant Lewmar Technical Manuals on Lewmar.com. Click on Support, then Product Literature, and filter by product. If you have any questions or need any further information about the safe operation of a Lewmar product, please email press@lewmar.c

dunedin

Visit site
Accident with electric winch while hoisting. Obviously this is very rare, but I'm guessing this is the one Dan Tribe was hinting at:

----

View attachment 180139

Lewmar safety Notice:
On 5 March 2011, an accident occurred aboard a 2006 Amel 54 in Jolly Harbour Marina, Antigua while carrying out the lifting operation of a crew member using a self-tailing winch. Currently, an investigation is underway.

Safety is of paramount importance to Lewmar and, in advance of the outcome of the investigation and as part of our ongoing commitment to operational safety, we would like to remind owners of Lewmar manual and electrically-operated winches of the following key points from the Lewmar Electric 40-77 & Hydraulic 46-111 Winches Manual, Sections 2.1 and 6.1:

• Under no circumstances should any self tailing winch be used in self tailing mode for any lifting operation; rather suitable and adequate manual tailing should be arranged with proper means of manually cleating or stopping the hoist.
• Isolate the winch using circuit breaker/isolator when not in use.
• Only persons who are completely familiar with the controls and those who have been fully made aware of the correct use of the winch should be allowed to use it.
• It is the unavoidable responsibility of the owner or master or other responsible party to asses the risk of any operation on the vessel

All safety notices are available in the relevant Lewmar Technical Manuals on Lewmar.com. Click on Support, then Product Literature, and filter by product. If you have any questions or need any further information about the safe operation of a Lewmar product, please email press@lewmar.c
Hence my point that never use self tailer when using electric winch for going up mast. Not an issue of riding turns

DownWest

Visit site
I read all that when it happened. Basicly, you have to understand what you are doing, and some, very sadly, didn't.
Quite a while back, repaired the rigging an a big ketch. It involved going up both masts several times. No power winches used, just hand stuff and that more to secure than lift. Included lifting Oxy/Butane kit to free off the stuff up top. No fun.. but needed.