Winch Handles - or candles as soubriqetted by TK!

jimi

Visit site
Bev and the girls often have trouble grinding in the genoa tightly enough and I was wondering if better (longer) winch handles would help .. any recommendations?

<hr width=100% size=1>

ccscott49

Visit site
There are two handed handles available, and I believe longer ones, but two handed should do, you do have two speed winches of course? You could always invest in some three speeders, or even leccy ones.

<hr width=100% size=1>

sailbadthesinner

Visit site
or the lazy bugger could always teach his wife and daughters to helm and winch the things himself

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=red>if guinness is good for you. i must be very very good</font color=red>

tcm

Visit site
No point in wasting money on this one - they'll just have to try a bit harder, or pull on the handles together. A bullworker would build up their strength perhaps, or doing pressups in the evening?

Also, if they have trouble lifting kit bags or shopping up on to the boat, they might find it easier if they use a few more bags, each loaded less heavily.

hope this helps

<hr width=100% size=1>

jimi

Visit site
My primary winches are 2 speed ... would love leccy ones but a bit expensive and OTT for my wee boat! I thought about the longer ones with the normal vertical grip and also a horizontal grip on the top?

<hr width=100% size=1>

sailbadthesinner

Visit site
what you are suggesting would mean jimi alone on a boat with three honed and toned women able to beat the crap out of him with a winch handle at the drop of a hat.

oh right.

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=red>if guinness is good for you. i must be very very good</font color=red>

jimi

Visit site
listen .. I'm already suffering from tendonitis and dislocated joints from helming, winching, tacking and cooking all at the same time ... last weeks tikka masala fajitaas got mangled in the primaries by mistake, I burnt the port sheet in the oven .. I need to enable these women, liberate their beings so they can achieve their true potential as they soar to their ethereal spiritual nirvanae as winch monkeys!

<hr width=100% size=1>

claymore

Visit site
Diet

Not been mentioned yet but the Indian diet that you seem to be feeding them on is probably a good starting point.
May I recommend a diet of Ox-liver and cauliflower with mashed potato and mushy peas?
The delicate balance of protein and quality carbos is achieved as well as the necessary vitamins and iron required for such tasks.
In addition, the cat o' ninetails - though possibly a little radical in todays namby-pamby "don't smack me I've got rights even if I am only a child" world should prove an excellent tool in the armoury of any self respecting skipper determined to wheedle out scrimshankers and n'er do wells.
Hope this helps

<hr width=100% size=1>regards
Claymore
/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Robin

Visit site
Bigger winches are the real solution if expensive. Otherwise new handles with roller bearing hand grips do help as would longer ones if there is room to wind them 360 degs unhindered. Don't tack too fast dinghy style, pull in as much as possible quickly by hand before the wind fills the sail on the new tack. Finally, let the ladies do the helm and you do the grinding in windier conditions.

<hr width=100% size=1>

sailbadthesinner

Visit site
welcome scarbourough sloop
a few words about jimi
he has been known to queue at midnight in bookshops in order to satisfy his crew.
but being of the scottish persuasion offering money to anyone is against everything he holds dear. it would cause him serious mental anguish to have to hand over hard cash when all he risks by paying nowt and doing it all himself is arthritis and early grave.

he knows he a has a bevvy of volunteer crew he can tap into at any time. unfortunatelymbeing master on board only, and a mere serf at home, he needs to keep up the pretence of family cruising yacht rather than boy's toy and actually take the family sailing.

tcm

Visit site
Offshore beating/thrashing

It wouldn't look very good in the solent, but provided that one was 3 or mebbe 12miles offshore i think one would be beyond the jurisdiction of social services, no?

<hr width=100% size=1>

milltech

www.iTalkFM.com
A very nice Gent in Sweden called Stephan Aronowitsch, Aronowitsch & Lyth AB, makes a winch handle with it's own reducing gears take a look at

http://www.arolyth.se/txpreeng.html

Sorry I've forgotten how to activate the link so you'll have to cut and paste. If you tell him John Church recomended you it won't do you any harm, he did and maybe still does sell my Boarding Ladder. It's possible he has a UK distributor for it.

<hr width=100% size=1>John
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.allgadgets.co.uk>http://www.allgadgets.co.uk</A>

claymore

Visit site
Re: Offshore beating/thrashing

If he gets Sandy Toksvig to come along as crew she'd probably help out

<hr width=100% size=1>regards
Claymore
/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

jimi

Visit site
Yes , always hold it up when going through the wind so that 99% of the sheet can be taken in by hand. Its really only the last 2 or 3 inches of sheet that's the issue.
Also in slightly rougher weather when the lasses are hingin on for grim death whilst trying to winch one handed;-)

<hr width=100% size=1>

Visit site
Thanks for the info Sailbad.

My father works within social services. Maybe a part ex deal on the kids could be arranged? That would keep the family ties in place, and if he got a 2 for the price of one deal he would have a larger crew to boot (or should I say whip??)

<hr width=100% size=1>

ecudc

Visit site
to quote badly give me a place to stand and a winch long enough and I can move the earth. Longer winch handles should in theory help.

<hr width=100% size=1>

nicho

Visit site
Our Bav came with one short and one long winch handle. Whilst the latter is more clumsy, it certainly does lower the effort needed. I know, 'cos I do the winching on our boat - my "skipper" refuses to let go of the helm, especially since she's started to bring it in through the lock and berthing it!! It's most worrying for the future of my credibility......

<hr width=100% size=1>