Why Red Diesel

Gludy

www.sailingvideos4us.com
Re: The upper end of boat market ....

It is just not true that most big boats are tax write-offs etc. Big boats will be hit hard by any large fuel price hike.

Never the less, I agree with your conclusion that the real pain will be felt by the average Joe Bloggs boater, who happens to be the base of the boating industry upon which the structure is built. I believe many will be forced out of boating. These people struggle and sacrifice to ensure that they can keep their boats a fact that is not well understood by those non-boaters who choose to spend their money elsewhere,

Of course it is absurd that the cruise liner holiday maker, the day out for a fishing trip fisherman, the trips round the bay to see the seals passenger etc will all still be using red diesel ….. as would commercial boats transporting all the DVD players from the Far East ….. so if you choose to use boats indirectly for pleasure then you are protected from such a price hike plan but if you choose to enjoy are boat directly yourself then you are subject to it!

In other words if you use your boat to give someone else pleasure that is OK and red is the order of the day … if you use someone else’s boat to enjoy yourself that’s OK but if you use your own boat to enjoy yourself – you get hit!!! So the argument that pleasure use should be taxed is absurd.

amaric

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
"Sorry Paul but I still do not believe that somebody who can afford a multithousand pound boat can't afford to fuel it. "

What about the average weekend boat owner..... me included..

I have a 38ft motor sailor (which I have steadily refitted on a budget) with a 72hp diesel burning approx 1 gallon per hour. Not alot you may say compared to the mulithousand pound boat? I agree, though this is a leisure activity that I can barely justify the costs already.

I value the freedom to explore our British coast lines, and long may the Eastcoast inparticuler stay that way. ( The Solent is out of bounds for me - I can not justify spending £35 plus a night or £4000 per annum moorings!! ).

So my point? Dont forget this is a leisure activity for all ranks of people. Losing "Red Diesel" will just help drive Sailing/Motor boating back to the rich only. And more importantly lose one of the last true freedoms we all can participate in.

/forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif