Why did they think it was a good idea?

Wansworth

Visit site
Bloody great headsails and small mainsails……..now when I am old and frail it’s a battle to tack or reduce sail even with furling gear which leaves a great lump on the forestry.My7/8 rigged mashford sloop put the sail area in the main but sometime in the 1960s racing yachts became the benchmark of yacht design.

Stemar

Visit site
“I am racing”
And on port tack, while I'm on starboard.

In my experience, it's only the muppets halfway down the pack in Sunday races that do that. The real racers regard me as any other obstacle and just want me to be predictable.

Dishonourable exception for the Barclays boat training for a round the world race, who was on port when I was on starboard. Only my crash gybe prevented them cutting me on half. The only time I've ever put in a CHIRP report.

Bouba

Visit site
Sitting here in port reading the forum…when I felt the crash😧…another yottie has just crash landed 😡

capnsensible

Visit site
Bloody great headsails and small mainsails……..now when I am old and frail it’s a battle to tack or reduce sail even with furling gear which leaves a great lump on the forestry.My7/8 rigged mashford sloop put the sail area in the main but sometime in the 1960s racing yachts became the benchmark of yacht design.
I learnt a lot on a few thousand miles of sailing Prout cats in my early sailing. Big, big headsails and small main so you could get out of digging a hull in and oopsa. Was easier and far quicker to nip round in a quick gybe than tacking.

Our old Moody had a big overlapping headsail 70s style but with the 2 of us I often sailed with a few rolls in. Then I talked to a sailmaker who made us a much nicer cut genny without the deck sweep foot.

Some of the yachts I raced in the 80's and 90's were older with deck sweeping genoas and were, frankly, a pita.,