Why did they think it was a good idea?

Bouba

Visit site
Get a RIB with an outboard on a trailer and then your options for boating are unlimited…. I can’t believe I’m saying this…but…look at BigPlumbs…he and his good lady go out wherever whenever they fancy…have an adventure and tow it home. You, with your Spanish sunshine will have unlimited options.
The propulsion doesn’t matter…what matters is utility…river, lake, canal, sea…no storage costs or worry. Be on the water should be your primary objective…

Wansworth

Visit site
I'm really confused by this thread - are you complaining about the sail plan on boats that you aren't going to buy anyway? Why not just not buy a boat with a sail plan you do like?
Galica and in general Spain has sourced its boats mainly from France,there are a few Spanish built boats but built much after the big Genoa etc.Thereare also traditional craft with an assortment of lug rigs.There just isn’t the choice ,yachting is a much younger sport than in the Uk and there is not the tradition for cruising yachts……

Wansworth

Visit site
Get a RIB with an outboard on a trailer and then your options for boating are unlimited…. I can’t believe I’m saying this…but…look at BigPlumbs…he and his good lady go out wherever whenever they fancy…have an adventure and tow it home. You, with your Spanish sunshine will have unlimited options.
The propulsion doesn’t matter…what matters is utility…river, lake, canal, sea…no storage costs or worry. Be on the water should be your primary objective…
You see me in a rib🙄🙁

dancrane

Visit site
Get a RIB with an outboard on a trailer and then your options for boating are unlimited…BigPlumbs and his good lady go out wherever, whenever they fancy…have an adventure and tow it home. You, with your Spanish sunshine will have unlimited options. The propulsion doesn’t matter…what matters is utility…Being on the water should be your primary objective…

Bouba makes a very strong point. Any boat you'll use without doubting or worrying, is better than any that limits your use, whatever the reason.

I admire Super Seals, Cornish Crabbers and Hunters very much, but the UK weather doesn't justify 12 months' berthing for a summer fun boat.

I now want sails only as occasional fair-weather entertainment when the wind is agreeable. Most designers aim purely at making their boats sail well. The afterthought of auxiliary power makes the engine something the skipper starts reluctantly, saying motoring wasn't why he bought a boat.

But if you can treat motoring as a high-quality experience (because the designer took care to make it rewarding, even pleasurable) then the boat will still be enjoyed and used in weather when the idea of sailing makes even racers shudder. Or they would, if they were human. :sneaky:

I'm waiting to find the right motorsailer.

The UK climate isn't Wansworth's problem, but the stress of always prioritising sailing must be an increasing issue for many.

Last edited:

dancrane

Visit site
Sure, a pleasant motivation for you...but you retain the option to steer in comfort as the rain slams your windscreen. You made a smart choice. (y)

I'm sure most cruising yachtsmen believe they prefer to be sailing, in part because when they motor instead, they still have to sit out in the weather.

Sailboats have engines, and using them can be pure pleasure rather than a second-best choice of propulsion. But most designs don't encourage that.

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
I felt the same - the motivation from sailing - before I had the choice of steering from either the cockpit or the wheelhouse. I'd certainly have a boat without a wheelhouse again rather than not have a boat.

We could save all of the what you refer to as the stress of sailing, and that of motoring, not to mention other irksome aspects of the pastime, if we just stayed at home. But where's the fun in that?

I perversely find that one of the joys of sail cruising is that you often have long periods where nothing much at all happens, then you have intense periods of activity (typically when you've just made a cup of tea, or you've felt an urgent need to get your head down!) Being out in the open is sometimes a pain, but overall a joy. I can certainly recall some occasions being intensely cold, or soaked through, but they are very minor parts of my overall memory of boating.

I've certainly done plenty of motoring in my time (and in boats from dinghies through small and medium sailing yachts, to 50+ foot luxury motorboats, but any more than a short spell under engine soon gets tedious in any of them, in a way that sailing doesn't.

Bouba

Visit site
My point is that the means of propulsion doesn’t matter (don’t worry I have used the same argument in the electric car threads to no avail 🤔😧)…what matters is bobbing about on the water…floating…exploring…not watching from the shore. A RIB on trailer on your driveway is the quickest easiest go anywhere go anytime means to this end

Bouba

Visit site
Look at these pictures…. I just took them….I’m not battling the elements…in fact I’m drinking coffee and posting…the wife is out exploring the island with her dog. Life will get strenuous for me soon…when I’ve finished my coffee I will jet wash the boat😧…and then take my trolley to the village store and buy some water.
My point is I am on the water…there is no spray in my face (although there will be when I start jet washing)…I am just bobbing around…and that makes me happy (not as happy as winning the Euromillions…but happy)..,,it will get you off your couch and away from your tv (although I am on my couch in front of my tv right now🤣).,,go for it👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Stemar

Visit site
Bouba makes a very strong point. Any boat you'll use without doubting or worrying, is better than any that limits your use, whatever the reason.

I admire Super Seals, Cornish Crabbers and Hunters very much, but the UK weather doesn't justify 12 months' berthing for a summer fun boat.

I now want sails only as occasional fair-weather entertainment when the wind is agreeable. Most designers aim purely at making their boats sail well. The afterthought of auxiliary power makes the engine something the skipper starts reluctantly, saying motoring wasn't why he bought a boat.

But if you can treat motoring as a high-quality experience (because the designer took care to make it rewarding, even pleasurable) then the boat will still be enjoyed and used in weather when the idea of sailing makes even racers shudder. Or they would, if they were human. :sneaky:

The UK climate isn't Wansworth's problem, but the stress of always prioritising sailing must be an increasing issue for many.
You need a Catalac with twin diesels and a big cockpit tent.

Wansworth

Visit site

Interesting