Why did they think it was a good idea?

justanothersailboat

Visit site
now when I am old and frail it’s a battle to tack

Wansworth, congratulations on the boat! I'm sure you'll get used to tacking her.

Oh, you meant hypothetically 🤔

I wouldn't let a big headsail put you off a perfectly good boat, not in the well-under-30-foot range.

Swings and roundabouts isn't it? Pros and cons to both layouts.

Wansworth

Visit site
Wansworth, congratulations on the boat! I'm sure you'll get used to tacking her.

Oh, you meant hypothetically 🤔

I wouldn't let a big headsail put you off a perfectly good boat, not in the well-under-30-foot range.

Swings and roundabouts isn't it? Pros and cons to both layouts.
I had an Albin Vega about eight years ago and it was really a pain tacking in Chichester harbour

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
I had an Albin Vega about eight years ago and it was really a pain tacking in Chichester harbour

Then don't tack the boat you no longer own in Chichester Harbour! 😁

But in the off-chance there's an Albin Vega for sale near you and your local ria is as constrained as parts of Chichester Harbour, you could always just roll in some of your big genoa and tack easily.

Wansworth

Visit site
Then don't tack the boat you no longer own in Chichester Harbour! 😁

But in the off-chance there's an Albin Vega for sale near you and your local ria is as constrained as parts of Chichester Harbour, you could always just roll in some of your big genoa and tack easily.
They don’t go backwards and will be looking at a marina berth

Minerva

Visit site
Bloody great headsails and small mainsails……..now when I am old and frail it’s a battle to tack or reduce sail even with furling gear which leaves a great lump on the forestry.My7/8 rigged mashford sloop put the sail area in the main but sometime in the 1960s racing yachts became the benchmark of yacht design.
Wait a minute?! Have you actually bought a boat at last?

Just as well as I’m sitting down! Congratulations - what did you go for?

Wansworth

Visit site
Wait a minute?! Have you actually bought a boat at last?

Just as well as I’m sitting down! Congratulations - what did you go for?
No…..I was perusing thefor sale here in Galicia and anything Ican afford has that sail arrangement………actually for the ría de Vigo the summer breeze comes in mid afternoon giving a nice reach under headsail from the islands back to Vigo

justanothersailboat

Visit site
No…..I was perusing thefor sale here in Galicia and anything Ican afford has that sail arrangement………actually for the ría de Vigo the summer breeze comes in mid afternoon giving a nice reach under headsail from the islands back to Vigo
There you are then, it's a good sail arrangement for your circumstances.

KevinV

Visit site
I'm really confused by this thread - are you complaining about the sail plan on boats that you aren't going to buy anyway? Why not just not buy a boat with a sail plan you do like?