Why did they think it was a good idea?

Bouba

Visit site
Interesting
This day is shaping up into something lovely….boats of all shapes and sizes will take advantage….down the pontoon there is a 100 foot long San Lorenzo…last night they were having a formal dinner and being served by people who weren’t their wives….other boats are much more democratic…tiny yachts and tiny motorboats…and every size in between…some are new and shiny…others so old that they are classics…or just falling apart
The point is that they have all got up off their sofas, put their hand in their pockets (no matter how shallow or deep)…and are all having fun on the water
Go for it👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

bedouin

Visit site
Most boats I know have replaceable sails - so if you don't like the ones it comes with you can buy others :)

I am really not a fan of large 150% Genoas on roller furling gear - -hard to think of any conditions in which they work well. You really don't lose much performance wise going to a 100-110% sail and may add a light airs gennaker or asymmetric for when you do need more sail

Wansworth

Visit site
This day is shaping up into something lovely….boats of all shapes and sizes will take advantage….down the pontoon there is a 100 foot long San Lorenzo…last night they were having a formal dinner and being served by people who weren’t their wives….other boats are much more democratic…tiny yachts and tiny motorboats…and every size in between…some are new and shiny…others so old that they are classics…or just falling apart
The point is that they have all got up off their sofas, put their hand in their pockets (no matter how shallow or deep)…and are all having fun on the water
Go for it👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻
I have been a stranger to my sofa…..cutting logs and mowing the grass,hopefully this will be the year Iget afloat🤔

Zing

Visit site
Look at these pictures…. I just took them….I’m not battling the elements…in fact I’m drinking coffee and posting…the wife is out exploring the island with her dog. Life will get strenuous for me soon…when I’ve finished my coffee I will jet wash the boat😧…and then take my trolley to the village store and buy some water.
My point is I am on the water…there is no spray in my face (although there will be when I start jet washing)…I am just bobbing around…and that makes me happy (not as happy as winning the Euromillions…but happy)..,,it will get you off your couch and away from your tv (although I am on my couch in front of my tv right now🤣).,,go for it👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

I can see why you bought a mobo. It’s not the best day for Yachting Monthly people.

dancrane

Visit site
I'd certainly have a boat without a wheelhouse again rather than not have a boat. Interesting - I feel exactly the opposite.

We could save all of the what you refer to as the stress of sailing, and of motoring, not to mention other irksome aspects of the pastime, if we just stayed at home. Where's the fun in that? Dangerous question, LS...I now really enjoy reading about the irksome bits while staying at home. ;)

I've certainly done plenty of motoring, but any more than a short spell under engine soon gets tedious...in a way that sailing doesn't. Debatable.

I'd more happily be afloat in a displacement motorboat (or ideally, a sailing yacht of indifferent performance, adroitly set up for quiet motoring from a steering shelter) with no requirement to make best use of fleeting periods of good weather or favourable winds.

Actual sailing, at its best is glorious, life-enriching. It's far more often slow and a bit dull, with passage planning beset by adverse winds and tides (and dependent on the sailor's circumstances, by obligations to be somewhere at a rapidly approaching time or date). At its worst, sailing is really harsh but we keep doing it in keen expectation of the good days.

As a paying participant in the UK experience I felt short-changed, so I won't waste more time or money enduring the bad in pursuit of the good.

It is undoubtedly resolvable with the right boat. The pity is, how rare that boat is, or how much work it is to convert from commoner designs.

I daresay Wansworth dreams of ideal sailing in a perfectly performing boat. I do...don't we all? It's an insubstantial dream, only a sliver of reality. But if the imperfect boat we own is accessible, manageable, genuinely pleasurable regardless of conditions, that's the right boat. Even if it's a RIB.

Wansworth

Visit site
I'd more happily be afloat in a displacement motorboat (or ideally, a sailing yacht of indifferent performance, adroitly set up for quiet motoring from a steering shelter) with no requirement to make best use of fleeting periods of good weather or favourable winds.

Actual sailing, at its best is glorious, life-enriching. It's far more often slow and a bit dull, with passage planning beset by adverse winds and tides (and dependent on the sailor's circumstances, by obligations to be somewhere at a rapidly approaching time or date). At its worst, sailing is really harsh but we keep doing it in keen expectation of the good days.

As a paying participant in the UK experience I felt short-changed, so I won't waste more time or money enduring the bad in pursuit of the good.

It is undoubtedly resolvable with the right boat. The pity is, how rare that boat is, or how much work it is to convert from commoner designs.

I daresay Wansworth dreams of ideal sailing in a perfectly performing boat. I do...don't we all? It's an insubstantial dream, only a sliver of reality. But if the imperfect boat we own is accessible, manageable, genuinely pleasurable regardless of conditions, that's the right boat. Even if it's a RIB.
When my spirts are low I imagine sailing out past the mole with that breeze that nearly needs. Reef….
the nw gives a good soldiers wind with more effort a hour to the islands or a toddle across to Vigo and visit to the fish dock or maybe a coffee in Bouzas if there is space to moor up

dancrane

Visit site
In the UK, I've found those finely crafted dream-sails are far better than 95% of the reality.

I've said it before and I still think, you're smart not buying a boat for as long as you're in doubt. ;)

RunAgroundHard

Visit site
There is absolutely no doubt about the increase in RIBs and folks enjoying their time on water using them. Over the last 5 years, maybe a bit more, it was rare to see RIBs outside of the diving clubs and sea safari's. Now there a lots, launched at my marina every weekend. Often in bays we anchor in and regularly passing by as they cruise along, RIBS will be there. It is a great way to see the sea and enjoy the out of the way places, affordable, doesn't demand much time, easy planning, can ignore the tide constraints, and can dodge showers and poor weather at a moments notice. I am seriously thinking of selling the sailing boat and buying one. Why? Messing about in boats and enjoying the wild spaces are why I sail, a lot of faffing about with a sail boat to do that. If I owned a RIB for 10 years, mooring fee savings alone would pay for an excellent model. Sure, the downside is the noise and fuel bill, but the noise abates rapidly for anyone onshore or at anchor, or when overtaken, and when you get to your destination, engine off, get ashore, tranquillity. As for the fuel, I can buy a lot of petrol for the price of rigging, sails, instruments and rope.

Last edited:

dancrane

Visit site
That is as wise a post as I've read on the forum, for months. (y)

And I don't much like RIBs. I've driven a club safety RIB, wasn't excited by the speed and felt it was curiously dull (not that quick beside ably-sailed dinghies), and limited by being an open boat, but undeniably practical. Still, I'd never want one (aside from the Avon Ribcrest I'm making in my garage)...

...but the accessibility and lack of wasted time (the return per quid invested) if you use a RIB (or almost any motorboat), is undeniable.

Lots of comments are made about the sailing population aging. Might it be because it's mainly the pensionable who have open-ended periods to spend on sailing somewhere and coming back? RIBs are a trailable, working-age practical boating solution so their popularity is no surprise.

I like sailing too much to give up sails, but I don't have time to waste or money to burn on a boat that restricts fun as much as pure sailing yachts do.

I need it to be as usable in January as in July, and to be just as enjoyable if used as a weatherproof motorboat...

...I'm the one paying - why would I (why does anybody) accept any lesser versatility?

I've drifted way off the thread now, given Wansworth's sunny climate. I'm just jealous.

But getting enough use is key to making the purchase (and upkeep) feel smart instead of daft. I've got awful shoulder pains at the moment (frozen shoulder) so if I had a nice little Hunter sloop I'd likely have to curtail my use of it. But I doubt it would stop me weekending in a Fairline. Or an LM. ;)

53745448054_13c90a1392_c.jpg

Wansworth

Visit site
That is as wise a post as I've read on the forum, for months. (y)

And I don't much like RIBs. I've driven a club safety RIB, wasn't excited by the speed and felt it was curiously dull (not that quick beside ably-sailed dinghies), and limited by being an open boat, but undeniably practical. Still, I'd never want one (aside from the Avon Ribcrest I'm making in my garage)...

...but the accessibility and lack of wasted time (the return per quid invested) if you use a RIB (or almost any motorboat), is undeniable.

Lots of comments are made about the sailing population aging. Might it be because it's mainly the pensionable who have open-ended periods to spend on sailing somewhere and coming back? RIBs are a trailable, working-age practical boating solution so their popularity is no surprise.

I like sailing too much to give up sails, but I don't have time to waste or money to burn on a boat that restricts fun as much as pure sailing yachts do.

I need it to be as usable in January as in July, and to be just as enjoyable if used as a weatherproof motorboat...

...I'm the one paying - why would I (why does anybody) accept any lesser versatility?

I've drifted way off the thread now, given Wansworth's sunny climate. I'm just jealous.

But getting enough use is key to making the purchase (and upkeep) feel smart instead of daft. I've got awful shoulder pains at the moment (frozen shoulder) so if I had a nice little Hunter sloop I'd likely have to curtail my use of it. But I doubt it would stop me weekending in a Fairline. Or an LM. ;)

53745448054_13c90a1392_c.jpg
Galicia is much like the Uk…….wet,sunny and windy with the Portuguese trades in the summer

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
But getting enough use is key to making the purchase (and upkeep) feel smart instead of daft.

No, it's not the hours/days actually in use that is the measure of the value, but how much time you spend looking forward to your next trip, looking back on your last, etcetera.

dancrane

Visit site
I...I actually can't tell if that's heavily ironic, or just an accurate view of the warped reasoning for having or wanting to have a boat. 😄

Wansworth

Visit site
I...I actually can't tell if that's heavily ironic, or just an accurate view of the warped reasoning for having or wanting to have a boat. 😄
I think little sister is on the right track…….but maybe for the newer generations tradition,seamanship and history done play an important part

dancrane

Visit site
Hmm. On the basis that one can benefit primarily from remembering or planning one's sailing trips, I claim first prize for getting more benefit since selling my boat, than I enjoyed while I owned it!

If I buy another, I want to use it, and often, not just enjoy thinking about using it while I can't or don't want to.

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
If I buy another, I want to use it, and often, not just enjoy thinking about using it while I can't or don't want to.

:eek::eek::eek:

Other forums are available - Mumsnet, tattoos, stamp collecting, etc. ;)

I suspect your problem was you had a dinghy, so you had all the hassle of the launching every time, and nowhere to relax, get out of the weather. An LM or whatever might your ideal, but any basically up together cheap small yacht with lounging/sleeping/cooking accommodation - Leisure 17, Vivacity, Centaur or whatever - would be a completely different experience.

The actual sailing is only part of it. The lying at night at anchor hearing the birds, the boat gently rocking and wavelets chuckling against the hull, feeling the boat turning with the change of tide . . .

Minerva

Visit site
:eek::eek::eek:

Other forums are available - Mumsnet, tattoos, stamp collecting, etc. ;)

I suspect your problem was you had a dinghy, so you had all the hassle of the launching every time, and nowhere to relax, get out of the weather. An LM or whatever might your ideal, but any basically up together cheap small yacht with lounging/sleeping/cooking accommodation - Leisure 17, Vivacity, Centaur or whatever - would be a completely different experience.

The actual sailing is only part of it. The lying at night at anchor hearing the birds, the boat gently rocking and wavelets chuckling against the hull, feeling the boat turning with the change of tide . . .

This and so much this.

For me it's finishing work on a Friday and my wife an I discuss / vent about our respective working week on the drive to the boat. But work chat stays in the car as we row out to the mooring. Then within half an hour of parking the food / clothes are stowed, work is completely forgotten about, we open a nice bottle of something and enjoy a Hebridean evening and bird song.

In the morning we lie in bed, hatch ajar and savour a nice coffee as the boat rocks gently and the sound of nature. Such a perfect antidote to the stressful working week!

Wansworth

Visit site
This and so much this.

For me it's finishing work on a Friday and my wife an I discuss / vent about our respective working week on the drive to the boat. But work chat stays in the car as we row out to the mooring. Then within half an hour of parking the food / clothes are stowed, work is completely forgotten about, we open a nice bottle of something and enjoy a Hebridean evening and bird song.

In the morning we lie in bed, hatch ajar and savour a nice coffee as the boat rocks gently and the sound of nature. Such a perfect antidote to the stressful working week!
Beautiful evoked

Bouba

Visit site
This and so much this.

We also stop talking about work when we step aboard....because that’s when all the boat work starts😳😱