who on the forum uses there boat to

Floatingpreferably

Visit site
Hi, I occasionaly fish from my boat, best fish a Bass of about 8lbs from near Bramble Bank in Solent about 4 years back. If you can obtain them live Sandeels are excellent for Bass. They were rather splendid Tope and Cod shown, beats mowing the lawn!

Visit site
Hi, I occasionaly fish from my boat, best fish a Bass of about 8lbs from near Bramble Bank in Solent about 4 years back. If you can obtain them live Sandeels are excellent for Bass. They were rather splendid Tope and Cod shown, beats mowing the lawn!

Can we get into a "my fish is bigger than your fish" competition?

S37... nice, plenty of space for all the mackerel guts and loads of nooks and crannies to hose them into when cleaning up.

Very happy to give some fishing tips....

Strake

Visit site
I tuck myself into a little nook on at the mouth of the Gironde estuary (Port Medoc) on my MF 725. Only just started fishing but have now managed to catch a couple of "Loup de Mer". The locals tell me that Cod is good over the winter months.
Weather here is still pleasant so we have managed to get out all of September and the short-term outlook seems pretty positive as well.

kid's inheritance

Visit site
We had 7 blue fin tuna ( I think that was the make ) and 3 Bonito 2 weeks ago, the Bonito were fantastic , needless to say that was in the Med.
BTW, if any of you are worried about blood and guts, I am told a spray of alcohol on the gills is swift and mess free.
Of course, you should fly fish for them if you can , none of this chopping up worms :eek:
Not sure you will get a Tope on the fly though :D
Rob

Visit site
We had 7 blue fin tuna ( I think that was the make ) and 3 Bonito 2 weeks ago, the Bonito were fantastic , needless to say that was in the Med.
BTW, if any of you are worried about blood and guts, I am told a spray of alcohol on the gills is swift and mess free.
Of course, you should fly fish for them if you can , none of this chopping up worms :eek:
Not sure you will get a Tope on the fly though :D
Rob

Oh yes, Tope on the fly is a definite possibility if you get them feeding aggressively enough.
A friend of mine runs one of the most successful shark fishing charter boats in the UK and last week they had 19 Blue Shark all on the fly.

7 Bluefin would be a spectacular day. Where were you and what size?
I suspect they were young school Bluefin if in the Med? Tell me they were all 250lb plus and I will wet mysefl with excitement!

As for blood and guts.
One of the best ways to get sushi grade fish is to "bleed" them. You want as much blood to leave the flesh as possible and (sorry tree huggers) one of the best ways to do this is to cut the gills whilst the heart is still making it's last few beats.
This works with all manner of fish and leaves extremely clean flesh.

Visit site
Shawn, Tom would be well worth having a chat with about fishing in your area.

Just watch him though, he's a well known tackle tart and could have you spending thousands on shiny tackle :D

Thanks to the new baby I haven't managed to get my tackle wet for a very long time.
My shiny gold reels are in dire need of some tlc at the moment.

lanerboy

Visit site
Thanks to the new baby I haven't managed to get my tackle wet for a very long time.
My shiny gold reels are in dire need of some tlc at the moment.

hi tom as paul said i have just purchased a s37 and hopefully it will be in weymouth within 4-6 weeks. is it too late in the year to catch fish now or could i still get the odd day in

tom if you are any where near weymouth you are more than welcome to come out for a day with me and we can see what we can catch

or if not i will deffinatly take you up on your advise when i am ready to go

cheers shawn

kid's inheritance

Visit site
Nautibusiness;3780332 7 Bluefin would be a spectacular day. Where were you and what size? I suspect they were young school Bluefin if in the Med? Tell me they were all 250lb plus and I will wet mysefl with excitement! QUOTE said:
I wish ! The biggest 10lb or so. Just off the Ebro river delta (100 miles south of Barcelona)
Regards
Rob

Visit site
Hi Shawn

Portland Race and on the mussel beds between The Shambles and the tip of the Bill on a bigger tide will see the area packed with anglers drifting for Bass. This spot will fish it's proverbials off until about Christmas.
It's snaggy and you'll lose gear, but you should catch plenty too.
Live joey mackerel is a killer bait, as are live sandeels, but if you don't have the means to get any of them then a Storm Lure or similar latex lure will work very well.
Once the the first frosts hit, head to the Adamant Bank (NE end works well for me).
Anchor here and fish a light rod baited with worm, squid and mackerel for some really nice big Whiting and fish a second slightly heavier rod for some cracking Ray. On this bank I have broken (not claimed as all released) the Undulate Ray record three times.

Any of the rocky marks will fish well for Conger Eels and Bull Huss and at certain times you'll catch Trigger Fish and Bream along with various "bits" too.
I have one specific mark within shouting distance of shore on the far side of Portland Bill that has turned up Conger after Conger to close to 100lb with an average size of about 35lb. I've not fished a session there that hasn't turned up fish to over 50lb and 80s are a regular occurance. The same mark produces great Huss and Bass and at certain times can have some very large Porbeagle Shark cruising near by. Close to it are Plaice and your mainstay mackerel fishing spot if catching bait for further offshore.
Wrecks within 35 miles in all directions will produce awesome Bass, Pollack, Cod, Ling and Conger fishing at various times of year and tide. Within a similar distance in most directions you have some fabulous banks that at certain times of year can fish spectacularly well for Cod. One mark four of us had 250 Codling in about 2.5 hours fishing on one occasion. For anyone who doesn't know... that is bonkers fishing. It doesn't happen everyday though!

The famous Shambles Bank will produce Plaice, Turbot, Bass, Cod the odd Ray and very nearby, Bream, Pollack etc etc etc.
Portland is also the closest mainland port in a straight line to Alderney... The Mecca of UK Angling. The only place I have seen Tope fighting to get to baits and launch themselves clear of the water. Turbot a plenty, Bass too along with some of the best local company you can find.

Visit site
These were "babies" according to the crew.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCM-CFjilLA&feature=player_detailpage

but they still bled all over the boat.

Looks like a very good day on school Bluefin Tuna.
More than 10lb though. The smallest there was iro 20lb with the biggest about 35lb.
Lots of fun on the right tackle.

Not your fault at all, but they are a truly endangered species. Real shame the crew killed them all.

For the record, a pretty good one of those babies will be one over 250lb, a big one is one over 400lb. They grow to around 1400lb.

lanerboy

Visit site
Hi Shawn

Portland Race and on the mussel beds between The Shambles and the tip of the Bill on a bigger tide will see the area packed with anglers drifting for Bass. This spot will fish it's proverbials off until about Christmas.
It's snaggy and you'll lose gear, but you should catch plenty too.
Live joey mackerel is a killer bait, as are live sandeels, but if you don't have the means to get any of them then a Storm Lure or similar latex lure will work very well.
Once the the first frosts hit, head to the Adamant Bank (NE end works well for me).
Anchor here and fish a light rod baited with worm, squid and mackerel for some really nice big Whiting and fish a second slightly heavier rod for some cracking Ray. On this bank I have broken (not claimed as all released) the Undulate Ray record three times.

Any of the rocky marks will fish well for Conger Eels and Bull Huss and at certain times you'll catch Trigger Fish and Bream along with various "bits" too.
I have one specific mark within shouting distance of shore on the far side of Portland Bill that has turned up Conger after Conger to close to 100lb with an average size of about 35lb. I've not fished a session there that hasn't turned up fish to over 50lb and 80s are a regular occurance. The same mark produces great Huss and Bass and at certain times can have some very large Porbeagle Shark cruising near by. Close to it are Plaice and your mainstay mackerel fishing spot if catching bait for further offshore.
Wrecks within 35 miles in all directions will produce awesome Bass, Pollack, Cod, Ling and Conger fishing at various times of year and tide. Within a similar distance in most directions you have some fabulous banks that at certain times of year can fish spectacularly well for Cod. One mark four of us had 250 Codling in about 2.5 hours fishing on one occasion. For anyone who doesn't know... that is bonkers fishing. It doesn't happen everyday though!

The famous Shambles Bank will produce Plaice, Turbot, Bass, Cod the odd Ray and very nearby, Bream, Pollack etc etc etc.
Portland is also the closest mainland port in a straight line to Alderney... The Mecca of UK Angling. The only place I have seen Tope fighting to get to baits and launch themselves clear of the water. Turbot a plenty, Bass too along with some of the best local company you can find.

tom

thanks for the info that is very good reading and i cannot wait to get my boat to weymouth now

do you fancy a day out with me then one day next year

omega2

Visit site
looks like a very good day on school bluefin tuna.
More than 10lb though. The smallest there was iro 20lb with the biggest about 35lb.
Lots of fun on the right tackle.

Not your fault at all, but they are a truly endangered species. Real shame the crew killed them all.

For the record, a pretty good one of those babies will be one over 250lb, a big one is one over 400lb. They grow to around 1400lb.

they were yellow fins!!

Visit site
they were yellow fins!!

Sorry Aquabell.
I didn't watch the video that closely or see who the poster was. Many small tuna look much like each other.
I had simply assumed the video was being posted by the chap who had 7 x 10lb Bluefin off the Ebro delta.
I had asked for a pic and just assumed this was the reply.
It would have been very unlikely to have been immature Yellowfin from there and at the size they were, very likely to be school Bluefin.
My mistake for not paying enough attention all round.

Visit site
tom

thanks for the info that is very good reading and i cannot wait to get my boat to weymouth now

do you fancy a day out with me then one day next year

Would love that Shawn.
Offshore wreck fishing is my main bag, but inshore / offshore it doesn't matter. I'd be really pleased to try and help you and your family / friends find a leviathon.

...I assume you have a half decent fish finder? Or will that be me?

fisherman

Visit site
Couple of trips ago, we caught 70 Mackerel in 20-30 mins, two of us :)

We usually stop at 100 or so, or it's too much like hard work to gut them all.

In 1974 we used to handline for mackerel, twenty hooks, 4lb weight, wind up on a hurdy gurdy, 18in or so diameter reel. We found fish in the dark one morning about 0730, not showing on the echo meter, we could smell them, maybe some dogs or cetaceans might have been at them. At 9.45 we had to stop, a call came out we were limited to 150 stone a man and we had 330 stone, two of us. 160 stone to the ton.

kid's inheritance

Visit site
Sorry Aquabell.
I didn't watch the video that closely or see who the poster was. Many small tuna look much like each other.
I had simply assumed the video was being posted by the chap who had 7 x 10lb Bluefin off the Ebro delta.
I had asked for a pic and just assumed this was the reply.
It would have been very unlikely to have been immature Yellowfin from there and at the size they were, very likely to be school Bluefin.
My mistake for not paying enough attention all round.

The only bluefin we took had had a swipe off a billfish, the rest went back. We kept the Bonito as , IMO , they taste better. That said , I donated the bluefin to a neighbour on the marina who said it was fantastic. I sometimes sea fish in the UK and it is pleasing how many skippers return fish now compared to everything going in the keep years ago
Regards
Rob