Which telescopic ladder for boat access on the hard?

wonkywinch

Visit site
For working on the topsidesof my boat when on the hard ,I have a 1200 square galvanised tower. Much safer.
I have a mini tower for working around the boat but my needs are for a ladder for access to the boat in the yard that I can remove and transport in the boot of my car.

For work around the exterior of the boat, I can use my minitower although that won't fit in my car.

TROLLEY-1536x1024.jpg

Refueler

Visit site
For working on the topsides of my boat when on the hard ,I have a 1200 square galvanised tower. Much safer.

Fine - agree .. but that's not exactly just for access to get on board ??

I often go to boat just to put or retrieve something .. the ladder serves perfectly to do that ...

Must admit that I can get scaffolding from pal who is boss of a Tool Hire Co here ... so if I wanted to do work along hull topsides - then that's what I would do. He actually is going to supply the cherry picker for me to fix my masthead wind ... reave flag halyards ... etc.

Refueler

Visit site
I have one of those as well. Excellent, plus it works as a two section extending ladder. I also have multi-use gizmo that works as extending ladder, stepladder and platform, which is ideal for working on the topsides of a fin keeled boat.

Must say that I do look at the ladders that can be set up as a platform .... but having nearly stepped of the back of scaffolding .. I'm a bit wary.

rogerthebodger

Visit site
I had a set of these

shopping

That I was using to sand the hull of my previous boat with an angle grinder. mover towards one end foot slipped ad angle grinder cut into my finger down to the bone. Hospital fixed it so finger still works OK

jwilson

Visit site
I used an expensive Swedish Telesteps brand ladder for about 15 years, before replacing it a few years ago with the newer model https://www.zoro.co.uk/shop/storage...pic-ladder-with-stabilisers-4-1m/p/ZT3376736S which is definitely stiffer in use but heavier. This lives in the car for visiting boats which do not have a decent ladder attached ( for Yachtsnet).

I also bought this year a Werner one from Toolstation, and this is currently padlocked against the transom of my own boat, and will be left there all winter. Seems OK, but not the quality of construction of the Telesteps brand. I looked at cheapo ones at under half the price but did not trust them.

wallacebob

Visit site
I use Telesteps triangular leg ladder for work over last 10years. Strong and reliable. I put cheap set in a skip when they failed to lock consistently. They also bowed scarily!

johnphilip

Visit site
I tried a search and did find the What yer get fer Xmas? thread but no definitive make/model specified.

Looking for a telescopic ladder to access the boat when it comes out of the water next month. Previous used a two section ladder but had to drive it around poking out the back of my car. Screwfix currently have an offer on the Werner ladders.

What make/model do you use? We've got a lifting keel (draws 1.3m up) and the swim platform folds down so looking at around 3m if I am to tie it to the pushpit and access the boat from the platform.

Werner Telescopic Ladders | Ladders | Screwfix
A sectional surveyors ladder might fit the bill
Chase Standard Sectional Surveyors Ladder - Ladders4Sale

mickywillis

Visit site
I use an old 2 piece aluminium loft ladder when Basils in the compound.
folds down to about 4ft in length, has a very sturdy locking pin that allows the ladder to be locked into 2 different heights and has the advantage of retaining one side with a handrail near the top of the ladder, great to support myself on when lifting heavy objects on/off the stern.
Similar to this, take off the fittings to attach into loft. Lightweight, strong and far safer than a telescopic one! Sliding Loft Ladder 2 Section - Aluminium Ladders Lightweight Handrail | eBay
3 piece one here, which is slightly longer: Abru 3 Section Loft Ladder Unused up to 3m Height - Buyer Collects | eBay

DanTribe

Visit site
Thread drift anecdote.
When I worked as a freelance building surveyor I used my own telescopic ladder. Later I went PAYE with one of my clients and still used my own ladder. I lent it to my boss who broke it, (run it over), so they bought me a new one. The safety officer then confiscated it and booked me on a working at heights course. The reasoning was if I fell off my own ladder = my own fault. If I fell off their ladder they would be responsible.

ProDave

Alness / Black Isle Northern Scottish Highlands.
Visit site
I would NEVER climb one of those telescopic ladders. Someone has already mentioned they CAN occasionally telescope back down while you are up it possibly causing considerable injury.

Use a proper folding or 2 section small ladder. If it won't go in your car, get some roof bars and carry a decent ladder.

Martin_J

Visit site
This has drifted away from recommendations for a telescopic ladder.

A number of telescopic ladders are however compliant to EN131 part 6 and some fixed length ladders are not.. Which would you choose then?

Telescopic to EN131 or an unknown brand fixed ladder...

TBH.. I didn't want to go near a telescopic ladder for years. Thinking about it now, if my telescopic one gets a dent in it (or some other damage) it will likely stop working how it should, and would be disposed of.. Easy decision.

How many people continue to use fixed ladders with visible dents in, or sides with slight bends or perhaps cracks in welds/rivets that they have never noticed due to lack of inspection?

Refueler

Visit site
Loking at a platform ladder - advertised as En 131 ..... the reviews - one or two say a disaster waiting to happen .. one in fact reckoned it could have maimed if another hadn't stopped him using ...

Some may not appreciate that EN / UL / CE is issued against a design and a sample are tested for compliance ... not every one produced .. not even one from every batch ... its random and when prompted.

I can quote a particularly bad example of compliance with UL and with that - only cursory check before CE issued ...

You can imagine that only certain flashlights are allowed on tanker ships - for safety in terms of spark hazard. One of the requirements is that the batterys should not be easily changed in hazardous area ... all but one brand had a Key Lock that needed a special tool to unlock. This was held in ships office and only used inside accommodation. But another widely used flashlight was without such lock and given a strong twist - could be opened ... it relied on a weird thread ....
I know of a design that was the safest of all - but manufacturer refused to pay the exorbitant UL fee (UK is USA standard). Was accepted by literally all others. But illegal to use in USA.

Sunjammer

Visit site
I tried a search and did find the What yer get fer Xmas? thread but no definitive make/model specified.

Looking for a telescopic ladder to access the boat when it comes out of the water next month. Previous used a two section ladder but had to drive it around poking out the back of my car. Screwfix currently have an offer on the Werner ladders.

What make/model do you use? We've got a lifting keel (draws 1.3m up) and the swim platform folds down so looking at around 3m if I am to tie it to the pushpit and access the boat from the platform.

Werner Telescopic Ladders | Ladders | Screwfix
I used a round section telescopic ladder one winter and it was just about OK. You do have to be very careful to make sure each rung is locked in place! Also check that the model you get is designed for outdoor use, the one I had wasn't (I realised after) and after a rain shower water got between the sections and made it very difficult to slide the sections apart.