Which Chart Plotter?

bubblehead

Visit site
Hi all, after some guidance / opinions if possible please.

Looking to buy a GPS chart plotter for a motor boat. I’d like position, speed and depth. I know very little about what is out there and more so what is actually a good option..
I am currently using navionics on my phone which I like for planning routes etc but would like something fixed.

Any ideas / advice please. Budget wise, not a lot.. for info, I’ve had a look in local chandlers and realistically, I’m looking at low end price wise. So many out there though.

Thanks in advance.

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
IMHO it’s like trying to square a circle. The bigger the MFD screen the better (and big really does make a difference) yet big means lots more money. I use Navionics on my phone a lot. But there’s a 12” screen at the chart table…. See if there are some ‘last years models’ they’re trying to dispose of?

And as regards makes: all the big names are good. We use Raymarine gear but other makes are available.

Neeves

Visit site
We use Navico because we wanted radar, specifically broadband. As mentioned chart plotters from the major suppliers are very similar it comes down to your personal needs. But if you want ancillary equipment ie sonar, radar, autopilot - they might dictate the best supplier. Its easier to integrate units from one supplier and when you have a kit from multiple suppliers issues then become 'nothing to do with us - its them'.

Integrating units from different brands is meant to be easy......until it isn't.

Big chart plotters are expensive - you might find it cheaper to use a small screen chart plotter and pair, WiFi, with an iPad.

I'd suggest you check your needs and then state specifically what your intentions are and users of that specific bits of kit can the answer or comment. Accept that equipment you buy today will have been replaced by something better within 12 months (a bit like phones).

Jonathan

ChromeDome

Commonly in Denmark. Dizzy Too, most of the time.
Visit site
Your requirements are basic - you'll struggle to find anything that'll do just that. Might be worth considering future upgrades as these device tend to be with you for quite a few years.

OTOH this means "any" you find will do. Size-wise wise I'd go for the biggest you can afford & fit and there are some surprising price jumps - like the same internal components doubling cost because it's connected to a 12" instead of 9" screen.

If sticking to Navionics the selection will be limited but still plenty to choose from.

I believe Raymarine Element series is the cheapest in the 10-12" range at the moment (from £ 999).

justanothersailboat

Visit site
Big chart plotters are lovely but, as ChromeDome says, the price premium for a few inches of screen on the larger size is enormous! And it's not necessarily a more detailed picture - if the resolution (pixels) isn't higher then you're seeing the same amount, just as bigger dots. (most are, but not always by much)

I think a lot depends on where you'll put it. Work that out first and go from there. I've seen some nice installs of not-huge plotters where handy position made up for the small size - presumably the owners aren't long-sighted. When I got mine, looking at plotters from the actual distance and position I'd have to use them at convinced me to go up a size - fortunately I found a used one that's ok and saved the difference.

Refueler

Visit site
Any ideas / advice please. Budget wise, not a lot.. for info, I’ve had a look in local chandlers and realistically, I’m looking at low end price wise. So many out there though.

Most plotters today will accept depth / wind etc feeds to display as well as the usual GPS plot chart .... MFD's (Multi Function Displays) are a development on from that ..

I have 3 different plotters ...
Lowrance Globalmap - old but still works ..... not to be considered
Onwa KP39A - excellent bit of kit and comes with free charts - but has been superceded by later models ...
Garmin Echomap UHD 72sv - good but I would not buy it (it came with the boat)

Lowrance has current models and do a good job ... can accept Navionics / Cmap etc. I don't think they do own charts anymore.
Onwa - an economic budget line that can also incorporate AIS and other data feeds ... free K charting ... can run Navionics. Updates simply by downloading to sd card and then put into the unit.
Garmin Echomap - runs a Garmin only version of Navionics - often a free chart region valid for updates. Crap menu and update system IMHO.

There are manu other brands .. Raymarine (too expensive for what they are IMHO) ... Matsutec (similar to Onwa) ... etc etc.

Taking the OP's post and request .. I have to recc'd the Onwa series ... as to depth - whatever plotter brand - that will need a separate transducer etc anyway - so as long as the depth unit can output NMEA - the plotter will accept (check if 0183 or 2000 of course).

I have my Onwa running on the boat that also has the Garmin Echomap ... the ease of use of the Onwa was highlighted throughout ... that's my opinion and also that of the people who have sailed on the boat with me.

I have no connection to Onwa other than a very happy user.

If OP is UK based ... then I suggest a chat with Alan at Aves Marine - the UK official dealer for Onwa ... a true service oriented person ...

Home

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
Unless you want radar, look at the Garmin Echomap series, most have inbuilt charts, which make them good value. Whatever you buy, you'll need a separate transducer for depth.
We have an garmin echomap 95 and very nice it is too. It came with depth sensor. About £800

We chose it because our slightly unreliable Lowrance global was not updatable to include different maps to extend our range and also was so big that it obstructed the windscreen. I dont think the echomap 95 can take AIS input so we just use the Standard Horizon radio display (radio has its own GPS) to see what big ships are about at night

PaulRainbow

Visit site
We have an garmin echomap 95 and very nice it is too. It came with depth sensor. About £800

We chose it because our slightly unreliable Lowrance global was not updatable to include different maps to extend our range and also was so big that it obstructed the windscreen. I dont think the echomap 95 can take AIS input so we just use the Standard Horizon radio display (radio has its own GPS) to see what big ships are about at night
The Echomap will show AIS targets, it's well worth having. Exactly which Echomap do you have ?

fredrussell

Visit site
Another vote for Garmin here. Great user interface and easy to use.

Another nice thing about the Echomap range is that they do NMEA 0183 and 2000. I think I’m right in saying most of their competitors now are solely N2k. Nice to have both options

Alicatt

Visit site

I have the Echomap UHD95SV and it accepts an AIS input, there are other models of the Echomap that don't accept AIS. It does have a separate transducer socket plus the NMEA 2000 and 0183 sockets

I decided not to fit the Standard Horizon GX2400 to the boat as we will be selling it this summer for a larger craft that is sea rated, and we don't want the hassle of deleting the MMSI, ATIS, and call signs from it and getting it reprogrammed.

@Davy_S the link does not work for me

hurley

Visit site
Most plotters today will accept depth / wind etc feeds to display as well as the usual GPS plot chart .... MFD's (Multi Function Displays) are a development on from that ..

I have 3 different plotters ...
Lowrance Globalmap - old but still works ..... not to be considered
Onwa KP39A - excellent bit of kit and comes with free charts - but has been superceded by later models ...
Garmin Echomap UHD 72sv - good but I would not buy it (it came with the boat)

Lowrance has current models and do a good job ... can accept Navionics / Cmap etc. I don't think they do own charts anymore.
Onwa - an economic budget line that can also incorporate AIS and other data feeds ... free K charting ... can run Navionics. Updates simply by downloading to sd card and then put into the unit.
Garmin Echomap - runs a Garmin only version of Navionics - often a free chart region valid for updates. Crap menu and update system IMHO.

There are manu other brands .. Raymarine (too expensive for what they are IMHO) ... Matsutec (similar to Onwa) ... etc etc.

Taking the OP's post and request .. I have to recc'd the Onwa series ... as to depth - whatever plotter brand - that will need a separate transducer etc anyway - so as long as the depth unit can output NMEA - the plotter will accept (check if 0183 or 2000 of course).

I have my Onwa running on the boat that also has the Garmin Echomap ... the ease of use of the Onwa was highlighted throughout ... that's my opinion and also that of the people who have sailed on the boat with me.

I have no connection to Onwa other than a very happy user.

If OP is UK based ... then I suggest a chat with Alan at Aves Marine - the UK official dealer for Onwa ... a true service oriented person ...

Home
Hi do you mean one of these? Insane price for an integrated ais transponder.
What are the included charts like?

Screenshot_20240106_104355_AliExpress.jpg

Refueler

Visit site
Hi do you mean one of these? Insane price for an integrated ais transponder.
What are the included charts like?

If in UK - ONLY buy ONWA from Aves Marine - he's the official dealer and will support you 101%. Do not buy via eBay etc. .... seriously.

I have the 39A and I really like it .. AIS is Class B+ ..... first versions of the 39A were Class B ... but were changed in its early production.
My 39A feeds all data incl AIS to my NMEA2WiFi plexor which then outputs all data to WiFi ... USB and NMEA0183. I can then connect tablet .. Echomap .. phone .. PC and display all data ... I could feed my Depth from the B&G system if I wanted - but I like simple !!

But today - I would look at the newer models ... the 39A is a little dated now being a box unit instead of the slim later gear.

The Charts ? I have K2 and K3 charts on SD card for it .. and I can navigate with confidence ... they do not have updates - so you are relying on increasingly aged charts. But I have full professional Charting with updates same as ships ... I have Navionics on tablet / phone ... and so far I have not noted any significant difference to cause me to worry about the K2 or K3 charts. K2 is recc'd on the 39A as its processor slows on the K3 version.
You have option to use Navionics (+) charting ... check the compatibility as Garmin really screwed it up by coding Navionics in two forms ... Garmin form and non Garmin ... obviously trying to lock users into their gear.

The Echomap is a good plotter ... I just don't like the non logical update system .... logging phone to plotter to get details .. then logging phone to internet to get the updates ... then disconnect from internet and logging onto plotter again to transfer the updates ...
Who was so stupid to design that ?? If any break or error - you start all over again !!

Nothing else I have ... RC Tx's Rx's .. Plotters ... robot cameras ... GoPro's ... all sorts - they just update direct .. no flaffing about.

johnalison

Visit site
What matters with a small screen is the redrawing time. This used to be a second or two and was very annoying but modern screens are so good that changing scale is almost seamless. I am out of date with the latest stuff but my e7 from some years ago is eminently practical, even if a large screen would be nice. You could repeat onto a tablet if you wanted it a bit larger, though the resolution might not be quite as good.

Refueler

Visit site
What matters with a small screen is the redrawing time. This used to be a second or two and was very annoying but modern screens are so good that changing scale is almost seamless. I am out of date with the latest stuff but my e7 from some years ago is eminently practical, even if a large screen would be nice. You could repeat onto a tablet if you wanted it a bit larger, though the resolution might not be quite as good.

Funny you mention that .... the Echomap UHD 72sv I have is poor on chart scrolling as plot moves ... unlike all my other gear - the plot goes across and chart does not move until quite late .. tried all setups etc. but no joy ...
Reminds me of the old Maptech and other crap PC charting systems we suffered before !