Where to use donuts in the Solent ?

jhr

jamesrichardsonconsultants.co.uk
Waterski zone off Osborne Bay? (unless you know different... /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif)

It's not in the Solent, but we were down at our beach hut at Boscombe yesterday and there was someone having great fun with a donut and a 20-ish foot bowrider outside the yellow swimming zone buoys. However, I think there might be wash issues on the beach if you did the same thing with a P360.... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

colingr

Visit site
About the only place I know it is allowed is the waterski zone at Eling up past Soton docks. Very constrained by tides though.

Not sure about the water ski area off Lee on Solent. They do allow jet skis there so I assume anything goes!

DAKA

Visit site
Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I think thats just 1mile East of cowes, we have never been but will try it /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

colingr

Visit site
Looking at the Port Authority notes you can only waterski in 2 places legally. Up by Redbridge Causeway (Eling) and Calshot. The Calshot one is restricted to members of Calshot only.

No mention of Osborne bay at all.

clicky here

jhr

jamesrichardsonconsultants.co.uk
Pretty sure there's a waterski area at Osborne, marked on my charts, to the east of the anchorage. However, time marches on and it may have changed.

QHMP has this to say about waterskiing in the Portsmouth Dockyard area.

(Edit: Beaten to it - again! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

samwestwood

Visit site
I used to do it off stokes bay and lee-on-solent. as long as you are a suitable distance off the beach i don't think it matters. we did para sailing and banana boats as well.

DAKA

Visit site
Thanks for everyones suggestions /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I am not familiar with many of the places mentioned so I have printed this thread and I will look on a map next time we are on the boat /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

lw395

Visit site
My understanding is that the speed limit in the Dockyard Port, ie the East Solent, only applies up 1/2 mile from shore.
If you look at the recent 'who is stand on vessel' thread in scuttle-my-butt, you will see that I'm in a minority not wanting 'anybody towing anything' to have right of way.
Enjoy!