Where to pick up crew in Southampton?

ip485

Visit site
What about the pontoons in the river and under the bridge if you have a tender - does anyone bother to come a collect a fee for a short stop - it is kind of fun going under the bridge as well if your mast just fits - will we, wont we ;-)

prv

Visit site
Hmm. The problem is that practically all the waterfront in Southampton is either the main docks (up the Test) or smaller wharves, yards, and marinas (the Itchen). There are some public slipways, the main one being Crosshouse Hard under the Itchen Bridge plus a handful of small semi-disused slips down industrial back-roads, but I can't think of anywhere truly public that you could bring a yacht alongside.

Private establishments with landings you could try asking are -

Southampton Water Activities Centre
Itchen Marine Towage
Shamrock Quay
Saxon Wharf
Kemp's Quay
Quayside Boatyard
Merlin Boatyard
Atlantic Quay

Pete

PhillM

Visit site
If you really wanted to avoid short stay fees but you needed Fuel, you could ask Atlantic Quay if you could pick someone up when you are filling up at their fuel berth. Your timing would have to be spot on though cause they can get quite busy with largish commercial boats.

Or what about the outside waiting pontoon at Hythe Marina? They could get the Hythe ferry and then walk round to the marina. I guess you'd need a friendly formuite to share the gate code with you.

PhillM

Visit site
Another idea, are you a sailing club member?

Royal Southampton has its own club pontoon in Ocean Village and short stays are (I think) a bit cheaper than MDL. I'm sure you could get in there, especially if you were going to have lunch in the club.

eddystone

Visit site
I've picked someone up from the end of the pontoon at Shamrock by the boat lift which is accessible without entry code. Tidal flow round the corner can be a bit fierce so better option may be to pick up vacant spot on a mid-river pontoon and dingy over to Shamrock.

colingr

Visit site
I think the access to the shore is non existent at the moment so unless the guests can swim they'll find access a bit tricky.

It's a good place to practice pontoon bashing though.

Go with the flow

Visit site
Its not just the short stay charges, nearly all have car parking charges / enforcement in place now for visitors. Probably better to pay the short stay and check it covers parking if they are coming by car..