Where is the worst area you have sailed?

Nostrodamus

www.cygnus3.com
Ok, some of this may depend on what type of boat you have but what is the worst area you have sailed in.
I must admit I found sailing on the NE UK coast a pain because with 2m below you there are very few places to go.

Sans Bateau

Visit site
Cant say I've sailed there, but the worst place I've taken the boat (hate it) is into the yard, she just does not belong out of water.

mikeinkwazi

Visit site
Local?

Ok, some of this may depend on what type of boat you have but what is the worst area you have sailed in.
I must admit I found sailing on the NE UK coast a pain because with 2m below you there are very few places to go.

When you cruise each place is 'the most dangerous water anywhere' or so the locals say!
On the other hand Southampton water takes some beating.

Landale

Visit site

Cardigan Bay is mainly full of drying lee shore harbours and the two with water at all states of the tide - one is half tide and they're both very expensive - probably explaining why few venture there although it's a lovely place.

dylanwinter

www.keepturningleft.co.uk
North Norfolk no good to you then

I do feel genuinly sorry for you depth challenged chaps

your massively over endowed keels really restrict where you can go

In the UK you can do some great sailing in thin water

if anyone is interested in real shallow sailing at the moment there are a couple of films on my front page from the tidal sand estuaries of North Norfolk

one is about the way the tide comes blasting in and it also has a section about the sharpies they sail up there - the sharpies can beat to windward in less than a foot of water

brilliant boats - used as the Olympic boat in 1958 I beleive

the other film - which is in a window the size of christmas postage stamp is about Wells Bar - 850 sailors have watched the 12 minute film this weekend

no idea why a film in a window 200 x 122 pixels should have proved to be so popular - perhaps it is the naked female swimming in the first few frames that has garnered so many hits in such a short time

Dylan

Visit site
I'm sure that lot's of people will be horrified but I didn't like the South Coast (Poole, Christchurch etc)

We're based on the Exe and a few years ago decided to go East rather than our normal Westerly trip. I wanted to "do" Portland Bill and go around the I.o.W. The problem was that the further East we went the more impersonal and unfriendly we found it. The sailing was fine and we like going into new destinations but we just didn't enjoy it when we got to them.

We got as far as Christchurch then turned around and spent the last few days of our holiday at Dartmouth.

I really should try again but, so far, my heart just hasn't been in it.

mjcp

Visit site
(Dinghy days) I recall thinking the the Thames estuary had a different taste/was more salty compared to the rest of the clubs on the circuit on the south and west coasts :eek:

mjcp

snowleopard

Visit site
The Salvage Islands. Having gone to considerable trouble to get a permit to land I sailed into the anchorage, took one look and left. Surrounded by rocks, uncertain holding, a big swell and landing over rocks in breaking swells. The thought of it still gives me the willies.

Fascadale

Visit site
I found the Bristol Channel, out of Cardiff, a bit intimidating: very strong tide,what seemed few options, silty brown water, sandbanks.

I didn't relax until I got into wonderful Milford Haven

(Wasn't that keen on the Humber either)

Seagreen

Visit site
I found sailing in the Solent about as much fun as taking a skateboard round the M25 at rush hour. Apart from goofing at the odd passing beautiful yacht, I spent all my time in a semi-panic at collision avoidance. This was years ago, but I don't think it has improved since.

Based on the Exe like Rigger Mortice, and I always assume I'll go west looking for fun.

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
Well, I've sailed all sorts of places UK and overseas (though mainly South Devon/Cornwall; Solent; and East Coast), and though I have preferences they all have their charms.

The worst area I've sailed in, without any redeeming features whatsoever (as far as I could tell), is a rather limited area: Great Yarmouth harbour - the most unpleasant and unwelcoming port I've ever visited, by a long chalk.

PaulJ

Visit site
Indonesia....... There's just no wind and we had to motor through most of it, followed by Malaysia where there are huge numbers of fishing boats fishing at night with no, or totally inadequate lights......... It was a nightmare!

Nostrodamus

www.cygnus3.com
Humber is where I am planning to spend the winter

what is wrong with the Humber?

Dylan

We wre in Hull for a while. Once you are out the lock you can go to Grimsby or well Grimsby. No where else to go for 8 hours until the lock opens again.
Tide can be differnt on oppisite sides of the river and the sandbanks are mobile. 6 knots of tide. Marina freezes over, and enough mud in the water or should that be water in the mud to sandblast any hull. Wonderful people though.

Dylan.. if you want some contacts there just PM me.

ARO

Visit site
The worst area I ever sailed was the Gulf of Mexico: Sizzling hot and very little wind, despite the daily thunder storm late afternoon.